Tonepros Locking Studs

DHW

Hi all,

I just registered and have a question.

I recently picked up a NOS 2010 single cut korina SE as well as a 2013 se 245(first prs guitars). The korina has some pretty significant bridge lean to it which I understand is fairly common. The 245 has a little play in the bridge but overall the fit is much better. I am definitely wanting to replace the studs on the korina and possibly the 245 but have no idea what I need to order. The tonepros site has no real description on any of the parts. I would prefer the vintage steel but those are only available in "G" style which I assume means gibson style with the non-rounded, smaller heads. The "P" style with the rounded tops like are on the guitars do not come in the vintage steel. And then there are all these other brands....

What part brand and part number do I need to order to accomplish this job to the best effect? I am prepared to use some teflon tape on the korina to snug the threads if need be unless someone is selling them with the PRS size inserts. I would prefer to not tape the 245 so not sure if I should look at swapping them on that one or not. I would be doing it for additional sustain and security whereas the korina it is to get the bridge level.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges...trem_bridge_parts/TonePros_Locking_Studs.html

I think these will do the job. The SE's are imports, so they have the metric threads. I don't think you'll even need any teflon tape (which I would steer clear of anyways, you don't want any gunky plastic tape interfering with the energy transfer at the bridge IMO).

The studs are great on the SE's. I also highly, highly recommend the tonepros wraparound bridge, the AVT-II model, which you can get as a set with the studs.

Best of luck!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges...trem_bridge_parts/TonePros_Locking_Studs.html

I think these will do the job. The SE's are imports, so they have the metric threads. I don't think you'll even need any teflon tape (which I would steer clear of anyways, you don't want any gunky plastic tape interfering with the energy transfer at the bridge IMO).

The studs are great on the SE's. I also highly, highly recommend the tonepros wraparound bridge, the AVT-II model, which you can get as a set with the studs.

Best of luck!

+1 on this!!!! When I had a stoptail singlecut SE, I went for the AVT-II model and it was a major improvement (at least to me). The locking studs really help the tone transfer and the adjustable saddles really helped me fine-tune the intonation....great product overall.

Take a look at the Schroeder locking studs too. I have them on my Bernie:

8955027208_cf5a734046_h.jpg

http://www.schroederguitars.com/buy/guitar-parts/schroeder-top-adjust-locking-studs

Thanks guys. I actually found a couple sets of tonepros with the 15mm rounded cap and metric threads that perfectly match the look of the stock set for the same price as the standard ones. I think im all set lol.

I like the bridge so far. I think electronics will be the next upgrade.

^ He liked my deposit (4 years ago which I will never get back since he refuses to communicate), but did not send a guitar to me. Also, I had one of his set necks, and the glue joint failed causing the neck to come loose. Same thing happened to Markie's only Schroeder.

Last edited:
^ He liked my deposit (4 years ago which I will never get back since he refuses to communicate), but did not send a guitar to me. Also, I had one of his set necks, and the glue joint failed causing the neck to come loose. Same thing happened to Markie's only Schroeder.
His locking studs are also made of very soft metal compared to the tone pros, very easy to mar up the slots on those if you aren't careful when installing or adjusting.

Best of luck!

+1 on this!!!! When I had a stoptail singlecut SE, I went for the AVT-II model and it was a major improvement (at least to me). The locking studs really help the tone transfer and the adjustable saddles really helped me fine-tune the intonation....great product overall.

This is great info guys but every site I see online does not,specify whether it is metric or US version when you choose to add to cart. There seems to be no sure fire way of knowing if you're getting the right avtii bridge and studs. In particular the nickel version seems exceptionally hard to find and order specific to metric or US.

I wouldn't buy ANYTHING with that guy's name on it.

His locking studs are also made of very soft metal compared to the tone pros, very easy to mar up the slots on those if you aren't careful when installing or adjusting.

Interesting. If I'd have known this I wouldn't have purchased. So far no issues with marring the metal but don't really want to big-up a company that has bad business practices.

Back