Tonecontrol on bridgepickup

Rollsson

Hi!
I have buy a PRS standard 24-08 with two mini switchers and i want tonecontrol only on bridgepickup. Did anybody know how i can wire or cut some cable for that?
Thank for answer Rolle

Last edited:
Hi!
I have buy a PRS standard 24-08 with two mini switchers and i want tonecontrol only on bridgepickup. Did anybody know how i can wire or cut some cable for that?
Thank for answer Rolle
Yeah, it's easy. You will have to desolder the tone capacitor on the volume pot side and re-route it to the 3-way switch outside lug - the one where the hot signal from bridge pickup is running to.

Yeah, it's easy. You will have to desolder the tone capacitor on the volume pot side and re-route it to the 3-way switch outside lug - the one where the hot signal from bridge pickup is running to.
That's exactly how I do it. On my Orange CU22 in my avatar I have no tone control on the neck pickup and that pickup has a little more clarity as a result. You will have a tone control on the bridge pickup, and when the bridge and neck pickups are combined.

A cool mod to try is the 50's mod. If you have a two pickup guitar and one tone control, connect the tone control to the output of the volume control which is the middle terminal, or to the output jack. This puts the tone control after the volume control instead of in front of it and gives a different volume and tone control response. Some people think it helps retain treble when the volume control is reduced. It definitely gives the volume and tone control a slightly different flavor that a lot of people prefer. Hamer guitars are wired that way and a lot of 50's Les Pauls were too.

Last edited:
I may do something similar with one of the mines. But I want the neck pickup to have the tone pot. I need to find a push-push pot with a reverse log taper or modify the one I have here. I like taking a bit of highs down with a neck pickup in a split. I may do the 35th Anniversary alike split with a small value cap instead of a resistor if I fail to find/mod a tone potentiometer

I may do something similar with one of the mines. But I want the neck pickup to have the tone pot. I need to find a push-push pot with a reverse log taper or modify the one I have here. I like taking a bit of highs down with a neck pickup in a split. I may do the 35th Anniversary alike split with a small value cap instead of a resistor if I fail to find/mod a tone potentiometer
I have to have a tone pot for the bridge pickup. I like finding that "wah" spot. None of my guitars split coils. I have strats and a silver sky for that.

This maybe of interest to you.

Leo used to do something like that with the Esquire and Telecaster. I think the full up position on the 3 way switch was just no treble. Sounded very bassy and woofy. Always hated it and wondered why it was even on the switch because it seemed like a useless tone. Turned out Leo came up with it before the electric bass was available and he thought guys might like to play "bass" on their Tele.

When I roll down the tone control on the bridge pickup for soloing, I need a pot because I'm looking for a sweet spot that gives a tone that reminds me of a wah wah pedal. Clapton called it "woman tone".

Back