Tone that sparked you to learn a song?

I saw Mountain live opening for Jefferson Airplane and was very much taken by the tone. I was able to come pretty close with my SG Special and my Blackface Bassman cranked all the way up. There may or may not have been a Maestro fuzz involved.

As enthusiastic as I was about this gigantic achievement at the time, for some reason it did not endear me to the neighbors. I can’t imagine why, I mean, I really nailed the tone!

My buddy who played drums in our band likes to tell people that we played so loud in my parents' dining room that we gave their neighbor ALS. I still contend it was just a coincidence. (He really did die of ALS. Sadly very quickly - he didn't get the Stephen Hawking kind. Shame - he was a really good dude.)

Mississippi Queen

A loooooooooong time ago.

Radical tone for 1970.

More cow bell!
The grunt on the solo note at 1:52 was the most badass guitar thing I’d ever heard as a new guitar player. The guitar tone on that song is thunderous.

As far as a tone that inspired me to learn something, when I got my first Boogie (80s MK III Simul-Class combo) I had to go find the Santana sound. Great tones, and I butchered lots of his licks. Alas, the amp doesn’t give you the fingers, but I sure enjoyed it!

Last edited:
My buddy who played drums in our band likes to tell people that we played so loud in my parents' dining room that we gave their neighbor ALS.

I'm pretty sure I shortened my father's life learning to play "House of the Rising Sun" on my combo organ with the volume maxed on the amp. This took quite a while, as I was not a very experienced player at the time.

At several points he ran downstairs, completely frazzled, his brain exploding, and shouted, "My god, can you please learn a second song, or stop this endless noise?"

And there were other songs. And other brain explosions. Plus one of my brothers played drums.

Learn a song? Hell I bought a damn guitar because if it. I was looking for a new band to start listening to and went down a YouTube rabbit hole and found Band-Maid. Their lead guitarist, Kanami Tono, plays a PRS and I loved her tone. That led to me purchasing my very first PRS. The song that inspired it was ONSET, the live version.

Hmmm. I feel like my tone has inspired me to write more songs than learn specific songs. I’ve not really been a tone chaser or a song learner. I do remember hearing “Out ta get me” by GnR and wanting to learn that opening riff.

I saw Mountain live opening for Jefferson Airplane and was very much taken by the tone. I was able to come pretty close with my SG Special and my Blackface Bassman cranked all the way up. There may or may not have been a Maestro fuzz involved.

As enthusiastic as I was about this gigantic achievement at the time, for some reason it did not endear me to the neighbors. I can’t imagine why, I mean, I really nailed the tone!

I’m reminded of something one of my friends said at a party one evening when he was being kind of obnoxious, and someone said, “Stop, man, you’re bumming me out.”

The guy was having a very good, pot-fueled, time, and said, incredulously, “Wait - how can I be bumming you if I’m not bumming me?”
I was going to say earlier that my Junior thru the silver faced Bassman with 4x12 and a Muff did a great job at Leslie’s mayhem. Probably sustained some structural damage to the basement, too.

Back