Tone that sparked you to learn a song?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ovibos, Jan 25, 2020.

1. alantig

alantig Zombie Four, DFZ

My buddy who played drums in our band likes to tell people that we played so loud in my parents' dining room that we gave their neighbor ALS. I still contend it was just a coincidence. (He really did die of ALS. Sadly very quickly - he didn't get the Stephen Hawking kind. Shame - he was a really good dude.)

LSchefman likes this.
  2. RickP

RickP Established 1960, Still Not Dead

The grunt on the solo note at 1:52 was the most badass guitar thing I’d ever heard as a new guitar player. The guitar tone on that song is thunderous.

As far as a tone that inspired me to learn something, when I got my first Boogie (80s MK III Simul-Class combo) I had to go find the Santana sound. Great tones, and I butchered lots of his licks. Alas, the amp doesn’t give you the fingers, but I sure enjoyed it!

#22 RickP, Jan 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    bodia likes this.
  3. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

I'm pretty sure I shortened my father's life learning to play "House of the Rising Sun" on my combo organ with the volume maxed on the amp. This took quite a while, as I was not a very experienced player at the time.

At several points he ran downstairs, completely frazzled, his brain exploding, and shouted, "My god, can you please learn a second song, or stop this endless noise?"

And there were other songs. And other brain explosions. Plus one of my brothers played drums.

sergiodeblanc, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  4. Alnus Rubra

Alnus Rubra Loving nature’s wonders

Probably this.....

sergiodeblanc and bodia like this.
  5. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Man, I listed after those guitars in the Sears and Montgomery Wras catalogs when I was 12.

Alnus Rubra and sergiodeblanc like this.
  6. supergoat94

supergoat94 New Member

Learn a song? Hell I bought a damn guitar because if it. I was looking for a new band to start listening to and went down a YouTube rabbit hole and found Band-Maid. Their lead guitarist, Kanami Tono, plays a PRS and I loved her tone. That led to me purchasing my very first PRS. The song that inspired it was ONSET, the live version.

Ovibos, veinbuster and LSchefman like this.
  7. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

It probably started the slippery slope that led to their downfall! ;)

Alnus Rubra and sergiodeblanc like this.
  8. vchizzle

vchizzle Zomb!e Nine, DFZ

Hmmm. I feel like my tone has inspired me to write more songs than learn specific songs. I’ve not really been a tone chaser or a song learner. I do remember hearing “Out ta get me” by GnR and wanting to learn that opening riff.

9. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

I was going to say earlier that my Junior thru the silver faced Bassman with 4x12 and a Muff did a great job at Leslie’s mayhem. Probably sustained some structural damage to the basement, too.

alantig and Ovibos like this.