Tone Pros Setup

Hey guys, I just bought a tone pros wraparound and I'm having some problems. I researched it well before I bought it, and the issues I'm having were sort-of expected, but I really wanted an adjustable bridge. I got it for my Tremonti SE, and I use this guitar for drop tuning (I'm setting it up for BF#BEG#C#) and I have 12's on it right now, but I'm probably going to end up putting medium top/heavy bottom d'addarios on it because the 12s are too heavy on the top strings. A couple of the strings don't sit in the saddle grooves at all, some pop out when I bend, and some (the ones that don't sit in the grooves) pop IN when I bend. The A string barely touches the saddle, and it vibrates against it when I play, loud enough to be heard over my amp at bedroom levels. I'm sure the heavy string gauge has a lot to do with my problem, but I don't want light strings on it for obvious reasons.

I was hoping you guys would have some ideas for me for how to fix it. If you suggest filing the saddle grooves deeper, please help me with what tool to buy and if there's a certain technique for it. I could take it to a guitar shop if you think it's too difficult.

Thanks

I don't have a answer, but was wondering if Skinny Top Heavy Bottom would cause an issue on my Tremonti SE. Is it just the 12 you're having issues with?

I don't think it would cause any problems, MAYBE general setup things (nut, rod, intonation).

I've read of people having problems with 10s staying in the saddle grooves, so I was assuming that 12s would be even more problematic. But I am staying with a heavy gauge, so I need to find a solution.

I don't think it would cause any problems, MAYBE general setup things (nut, rod, intonation).

I've read of people having problems with 10s staying in the saddle grooves, so I was assuming that 12s would be even more problematic. But I am staying with a heavy gauge, so I need to find a solution.

I just dealt with this same issue.
There appears to be very little clearance between the saddle grooves and the base of the bridge, I would think that to cut the saddle grooves deeply enough to keep the strings from poppin' some aftermarket saddles that are a little taller would be in order.

My solution was to wuss out and change it for a compensated bridge, I'm very pleased with the PRS bridge I have now but I play almost exclusively in standard tuning.

I do not have a Tone Pros wrap tail, but I am using the PRS adjustable wraptail. The lowest tuned guitar I have right now is a variation in standard Bb Ab Db Gb bb eb. I am using a a standard set of D'Adarrio 10's for Ab - eb and a .062 for the Bb.

I have found for the heavier gauge strings you really need to bend them at each point they would "normally" bend when at tension.

If currently you are using a .052 (normal for 12's IIRC) for a low B, then there is likely not enough length between the bridge and tuning peg to really pull it taught. I'd likely be using a .060 minimum, persronally.

To give you a reference, I have another PRS tuned to Drop C#. I use the same D'Adarrio 10's Ab - eb but use a .052 for the low C#, it has approximatly the same tension as a .046 in Eb.

Hope that helps.

Did you get the locking studs also? I don't know if they would for sure fix your problem, but if you're still using the standard SE studs, usually the bridge has a tendency to angle a bit with string tension because the stock studs have some play in them. Maybe locking down the bridge will help you get a better break angle over the saddles and reduce the buzz. Just a thought, hope you get it figured out.

I do have the locking studs and I did put them in. The bridge still has a small forward lean, and I'm pretty sure it's the bushings that the studs screw into that are crooked. Something that doesn't appear to be an easy fix. I could see how this would cause problems with contact with the saddles. Still not sure what to do to make it perfect, I may just have to deal with it :(

Back