Tone Ninja parts for PRS SE

Will Larrea

Hello new member here,

Can anybody tell me if they have bought custom parts from "The Tone Ninja" for a PRS SE?

I recently ran into their site and I am interested in buying some custom knobs but they do not specify if they would fit a PRS SE.

I am also interested in buying some tuner buttons but they do not specify it either if it would fit an SE

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

If they’re metric, they should fit. I’ve not run into that site, though. Googling now...

A bit late, but I bought some, might as well share.

I have a SE Custom 24 Floyd Rose I put them on, the knobs fit the stock pots fine. My SE is Made in Korea and comes with one full size metric volume pot and one small size push/pull tone pot. The numbers are recessed and can easily be filled in with crayola wax crayons.

CU24Ninja_D.jpg

Here's a close up pic. These are ebony knobs and are much closer to black than the picture below would suggest. My phone camera over compensated and saturated the pic somewhat. Pic above gives you a better overall impression.

CU24Ninja_C.jpg

I was a little worried the bird inlays would be too much bling but ended up really liking them.

I put their knobs on my HBII—the stock knobs were an ugly spot on a beautiful guitar.

I put their knobs on my HBII—the stock knobs were an ugly spot on a beautiful guitar.

My dream guitar, I settled with a ZM for now. I agree about the PRS knobs. The two transparent shades don't go with everything and often spoil the aesthetics of otherwise lovely guitars.

A bit late, but I bought some, might as well share.

I have a SE Custom 24 Floyd Rose I put them on, the knobs fit the stock pots fine. My SE is Made in Korea and comes with one full size metric volume pot and one small size push/pull tone pot. The numbers are recessed and can easily be filled in with crayola wax crayons.

CU24Ninja_D.jpg

Here's a close up pic. These are ebony knobs and are much closer to black than the picture below would suggest. My phone camera over compensated and saturated the pic somewhat. Pic above gives you a better overall impression.

CU24Ninja_C.jpg

I was a little worried the bird inlays would be too much bling but ended up really liking them.

The knobs look great, and the inlays are small enough that it’s a nice detail instead of too much bling.

I like the stock knobs, even on my PS guitars, but those look nice.

Since the knobs worked out I thought I'd try a Tone Ninja Nut. When I got my 2016 Zach Myers I changed the nut straight away, The stock one was binding and I figured I'd replace it and keep the original for backup. Anyway, at the time I got a Tusq XL nut. It needed quite a bit of sanding off the bottom to reach a good height and width was a bit skinny.

The Tone Ninja SE nut arrived today, so I removed the tusqXL and prepped the nut shelf. Put the Ninja Nut in without gluing, tuned up the guitar to see what the nut action was like. It was pretty much spot on, with 3rd fret held you can just slide a business card under the first fret. Let go of the business card and it is just held in place. I noticed some difference in the plastics. The SE nut felt the cheapest and least well made, the TusqXL felt a bit more dense and brittle sounding when you dropped it. The Tone Ninja nut feels very slippery and falls in between the SE nut and TusqXL not when dropped on the counter.

I was pretty happy with the business card test so I filed the bottom only slightly with my fret level mostly to roughen up the base because it feels so slippery and glued it on. Tuned up the guitar, checked intonation and it was spot on and matched the the Graphtec I spent quite a bit of time tweaking on when I installed it.

So this was the easiest nut install I have done so far. I think the plastic material is a bit softer than TusqXL it sounds less brittle when you drop it on my desk. But the guitar sounds great. and reverberates nicely, The Ninja nut does seem to be a better fit for the nut shelf on my Zach Myers. I'd recommend it to a newbie doing their first nut job and they want a new nut and no fuss. I could probably lower the treble slots very slightly if I wanted a lower action but my bridge is already decked and the action is very comfortable, intonates perfect open and 12th.

ToneNinjaB_S.jpg
ToneNinjaA_S.jpg

No complaints other than the usual thing where the truss rod cover is slightly long and doesn't sit flush to the headstock but rests raised by the sloping side of the nut slightly. So a positive result.

BTW I did research the nut a little. Hardly anyone has reviewed their nuts, not really mentioned on forums anywhere. I found an interview with someone from Tone Ninja who mentioned the plastic material scientific name. What we are most likely to recognize by one of the manufacturers brand names which is Delrin.

Last edited:
Back