Tone Master Volume Knob

Dagoe

I have a question about Fender Tone Master amps. I have a Deluxe Reverb. Everything is fine except for one thing: with an overdrive pedal on, when the volume knob on the guitar is turned, the gain increases as it does on a tube amp. But unlike a tube amp, the volume also increases. Any thoughts.

So that amp is solid state (no tubes). What you're talking about is tube amp compression. I think the only way you're going to get that is with some kind of compression effect - either an actual tube compressor or a solid state compressor pedal. I like Keeley (Ross clone) compressors. A compressor will allow you to clip the input but control output volume, so you can use your guitar volume like a gain knob.

I have a Mini Ego on my board. Except for tone, the controls are the same as the Keeley. Which knob or combo of them does the job?

Thanks for pointing me to the compressor. I turned the blend knob further away from the dry tone. This let my volume

So that amp is solid state (no tubes). What you're talking about is tube amp compression. I think the only way you're going to get that is with some kind of compression effect - either an actual tube compressor or a solid state compressor pedal. I like Keeley (Ross clone) compressors. A compressor will allow you to clip the input but control output volume, so you can use your guitar volume like a gain knob.
I have a Mini Ego on my board. Except for tone, the controls are the same as the Keeley. Which knob or combo of them does the job?
Thanks for pointing me to the compressor. A higher setting on the blend knob has fixed the problem on the Tonemaster.

Glad you got it working for you. Idk what other pedals you use but put the compressor after any gain pedals. If you have an effects loop you could also put it there, assuming that’s downstream of the preamp and/or amplifier effects.

Thanks for the advice to put the compressor after after the gain pedals. It was an instant across-the-board improvement in my sound -- dirty, clean and in-between. I had the compressor first in the chain, based on advice garnered through Google searches. I always wondered what all this love for compressors was about. Now I know because of your help. Thanks.

Thanks for posting that, I‘m glad I was able to help. I’m not an expert on compressor pedals but know they work great for what you were asking.

I used to get confused by the name “compressor" as I thought it was mostly about limiting volume, but they actually compresses the min and max level to fit within a certain range. They boost quiet notes and limit loud notes, and you can adjust the point at which the boost starts, how aggressive the boost is, the cutoff limit, etc. Traditionally they are used to make your volume sound even - loud enough to be confidently heard, even volume through complex passages, and also not overpowering and/or to squash spikes. So it can give you a very polished and professional sound if not overdone. But all that being said I’ve only used mine as an effect and to control gain (clipping) using my guitar’s volume pot. That’s kind of what the Ross derivative pedals are known for.

Back