Tone knob wont reseat properly

Bruce Pine

I recently received my new custom SE and the knobs were not aligned. I removed the tone knob and now it won't go all the way down. You can pull up on it and push down but it seats too high where you can see the nut. The volume knob has no such issue and does not come up when pulled. Is this normal?

Check the knob itself and make sure none of the inner grooves got damaged and won’t allow it full motion down onto the shaft.
Thank you. It appears ok. Was able to remove the volume knob and swap. The same issue. It seats perfectly over the volume knob, which does not lift up, while the tone knob won't go all the way down and when pulled it snaps up like a switch. I'm stumped.

By chance did something get stuck inside the knob hole? I'm guessing you checked that when you inspected the splines. I've never had a knob not go on all the way that came off that guitar. I'm stumped...

Installing it at an angle? The pot shaft bent?

I know, it's strange. The knob goes in fine when I switched it with the volume. And same issue with alternate knob, so that eliminated the knob.
The stalk appears straight but as mentioned when I pull up, it snaps up, like a switch, yet the nut it in tight. Does anyone know if that's normal or what it does? Thanks, all

I know, it's strange. The knob goes in fine when I switched it with the volume. And same issue with alternate knob, so that eliminated the knob.
The stalk appears straight but as mentioned when I pull up, it snaps up, like a switch, yet the nut it in tight. Does anyone know if that's normal or what it does? Thanks, all
Yes, the snap up is normal. It is a push/pull switch that enables the coil splits on the pick ups.

To be sure is the knob sitting high when the push/pull is snapped out? In? Or all the time? And how high are me talking? A couple mm?

I was originally thinking problem but after bodia changed my thinking, I'm thinking it's different more than problem.

With the knobs off, does the tone pot shaft stick out more than the volume pot? I'm leaning towards @bodia's idea - you may just need to lower the pot.

To be sure is the knob sitting high when the push/pull is snapped out? In? Or all the time? And how high are me talking? A couple mm?

I was originally thinking problem but after bodia changed my thinking, I'm thinking it's different more than problem.
Thank you for helping. The knob when snapped down is still slightly higher. Just doesn't seem right but lmaybe it's normal because of the switch mechanism.

Back