"Tone Furnace" pups?

Wow, so sort of like a HFS/VB set then. Although I think the Vintage Bass is around 8K.

I actually quite like these pickups, just put nickel covers on them and have decided to keep them for a bit. Very versatile and I find myself using the neck pickup quite a bit.

I had my SE Custom 22 apart for upgrades, so I measured the Tone Furnace pickups.....

Bridge: 14.95k
Neck: 7.16k

Cheers.

The DC resistance ratings make me wonder how close they are to a JB/Jazz set.

I just bought a SE Custom 22 with these very pickups. They are very nice indeed. I find myself on the neck pickup or the blended position. A very nice set. Interesting that the bridge is so "hot" but I have heard that DC resistance is only one of many measures. Anyone know if these are ceramic or alnico? Just curious.

I had my SE Custom 22 apart for upgrades, so I measured the Tone Furnace pickups.....

Bridge: 14.95k
Neck: 7.16k

Cheers.

Mh..that lean toward a 59 paf neck and a custom bridge..speaking in Seymour Duncan word..ora a jazz neck and a JB.
Not a bad choice..first santana prs used that kind of combination..how about the bridge pick up?
More of a JB (lots of mids) or a bigger louder and less treble paf like a custom?
Tnx for your answer

Subjective answer to follow:

Certainly reminds me of the Jazz/JB combo that you mention. I'd say lots of mids and highs, more like a JB. I hear a distinct treble push when I go from neck to bridge, but its girthy too... A useful combination of pickups for sure. The ability to drive the amp differently by simply switching pickups is a good trait in a guitar with only one tone / one volume.

Subjective answer to follow:

Certainly reminds me of the Jazz/JB combo that you mention. I'd say lots of mids and highs, more like a JB. I hear a distinct treble push when I go from neck to bridge, but its girthy too... A useful combination of pickups for sure. The ability to drive the amp differently by simply switching pickups is a good trait in a guitar with only one tone / one volume.

Yes..it's not bad to have the ability of drive an amp differently with the two pick ups..you say lots of mids and high..but it's not thin..right?Is there a balance in the bass between neck and bridge?
Is the neck similar in sound to a les paul type guitar with a paf type pick up?

P.s. i'm italian..what does it means "girthy"?

Tnx a lot!

Last edited:
Yes..it's not bad to have the ability of drive an amp differently with the two pick ups..you say lots of mids and high..but it's not thin..right?Is there a balance in the bass between neck and bridge?
Is the neck similar in sound to a les paul type guitar with a paf type pick up?

P.s. i'm italian..what does it means "girthy"?

Tnx a lot!

Thick

One of the best combo pick up i've ever heard..btw at the end of the next week i'll have mine custom 22 MY 2016 :))))))
Great great sound...the balance is perfect!

So finally received my PRS SE Custom 22 MY 2016!
I find she in england!
What beautiful guitar! I was extremely lucky and got one of the early model: 3 piece maple neck and coil split! a full optional custom 22!
The action is perfect, the neck is setted ultra straight, fret are very low and the sustain is superb for a guitar of this class.
The sound is also great a little bit different from what you could expect from a dual hum solid body, infact it leans more than a bit towards a 335!
Maybe all the maple, but the neck pick up is very clear and the bridge has a bit of that nasally sound you can find on a 335.
My pick ups measure 7k for the neck and 14.60 for the bridge that is a bit asymmetrical in winding (more on slug coil)
The output is what you can expect from a paf type pick up..the bridge drives the amp differently..quite more.
Neck sound like a jazz or 59...(have a 59, and this one is a bit brighter/cleaner; never played a jazz) and the wound strigs sounds very clear!
Bridge is similar to a jb with more bass and less treble on the three high strings.
Bridge pick up has the same amount of bass that you have in the neck..so no thin sound here!
Is a great combo! perfectly matched..unless you are lookin for a vintage open sounding bridge pick up.
The split sound is also quite good..not thin and the output drop only a little bit (great telly sound from the splitted bridge).
All in all i'm very happy!

Last edited:
So..four days are gone and the ideas on this guitar become clearer..
The sound has that typical midrange Heritage of old PRS; bass are present but well cut and not bulky and treble are articulate but rounded.
The guitar in itself is quite bright (a lot of maple)
Neck pick up is very particular..kinda mix between a humbucker and a mini humbucker, and if you hit the string on the neck you can have some interesting shade of single coilish sounds..
it's articulate and bright (especially on wound strings) like an old les paul..
Bridge pick up lean towards a JB but hearing side by side is more open on treble and bass, while JB is more like a laser beam..also in this case it's a mix between a muscular paf and a JB.
it's a shame that PRS stopped to make this pick up..

I would like to hear a bit more spec on them, the "Tone Furnace" name doesn't do much for me. A set of the SE245 pickups would've been fine by me, although I think I'll be swapping them regardless when I get the guitar. Probably for something covered, and one of those new Mann fully adjustable stoptails as well.
I have a set of Tone Furnace pickups gifted to me by Full Moon that I'll be putting in a SE Singlecut today.

I'll give a tone report if anyone is still interested in hearing about the Tone Furnace pickups.

6.9K neck and 14.2K bridge.

Looks like an extra thick magnet in the bridge.

Maybe ceramic?

Last edited:
I have a set of Tone Furnace pickups gifted to me by Full Moon that I'll be putting in a SE Singlecut today.

I'll give a tone report if anyone is still interested in hearing about the Tone Furnace pickups.

6.9K neck and 14.2K bridge.

Looks like an extra thick magnet in the bridge.

Maybe ceramic?
I’d forgotten about these. Did they die with the Marty Friedman model?

I dunno. Fullmoon 1971 gave them to me to try.

Maybe he will see this and comment. He's in the UK tho. Probably in bed!
The neck Is a great paf pick-up...One of the best i've ever played..perfect blend of tre le middle and bass..with a hint of single coil...exactly like 50 and 60's pick-up and sounds very 335 neck alike...the bridge for me Is too hot and muffled on High strings...great for dirty sounds not for clean...replaced with a Duncan custom 5 sh14 ...Better but still not open enough for me...on a se custom from 2017..maple neck...wraparound bridge

I dunno. Fullmoon 1971 gave them to me to try.

Maybe he will see this and comment. He's in the UK tho. Probably in bed!
They were also used in the 2016 SE Custom 22

I agree with the comments about the pickups, the neck is a fantastic "PAF" style pickup but the bridge is just too hot, it features a really thick ceramic magnet - maybe a Alnico 8 would better suit it?

Last edited:
They were also used in the 2016 SE Custom 22

I agree with the comments about the pickups, the neck is a fantastic "PAF" style pickup but the bridge is just too hot, it features a really thick ceramic magnet - may a Alnico 8 would better suit it?
Should I pop an alnico 8 in there? I have one. I didn't care for the sound last time I tried it in anything.

I also have some roughcast and polished a2, a4 and a5.

Should I pop an alnico 8 in there? I have one. I didn't care for the sound last time I tried it in anything.

I also have some roughcast and polished a2, a4 and a5.
I would try the 8, it will give you the power of a ceramic with the sweetness of a alnico. think of it like a superpowered A5

Back