"Tone Furnace" pups?

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
I was meandering around the PRS site (as we all do) and stumbled on this on the page for the SE Marty Friedman (which we must call the SEMF) http://www.prsguitars.com/semartyfriedman/. More poking around shows these are the pups on the new SECU22.

Anyone know anything about these? (Insert obligatory "they're HOT" responses...)

Treble PickupTone Furnace Treble Humbucker
Bass PickupTone Furnace Bass Humbucker

I think in one of the demos the guy doing it said the neck was a moderate output and the bridge was, well, hotter. I like that kind of setup. Will have to try out an SE C22 when they have one in stock near by.

That has to be new, because I've been looking at the Marty Friedman for a while, and it always listed pickups as SE Design or something like that. I know the new SE Custom 22 has these pickups listed as standard, although the SE Custom Semi Hollow 22, does not have them.

Tone furnace pickups on the Friedman model make sense if they're a little hotter.

I guess the real question is are these indeed NEW pickups, or is this a marketing thingy?

I would like to hear a bit more spec on them, the "Tone Furnace" name doesn't do much for me. A set of the SE245 pickups would've been fine by me, although I think I'll be swapping them regardless when I get the guitar. Probably for something covered, and one of those new Mann fully adjustable stoptails as well.

I'm guessing Gibson has trademarked those already...with new, improved RoboTune2016 :evil:

How could they POSSIBLY improve? Perhaps a team of small "tuning fairies" who live in the case psychically link with the player, pre-determine the next desired tuning, and crank the machineheads up (or down) to pitch, to match a series of tiny tuning forks they each carry with them...

But I digress...TONE FURNACE! Would be nice to see some specs to compare the SE pickups across the board now. I cannot imagine that this information would be as closely revered as the dirty details for the US pups. Would love to see full specs on the S2 and SE pups.

How could they POSSIBLY improve? Perhaps a team of small "tuning fairies" who live in the case psychically link with the player, pre-determine the next desired tuning, and crank the machineheads up (or down) to pitch, to match a series of tiny tuning forks they each carry with them...

But I digress...TONE FURNACE! Would be nice to see some specs to compare the SE pickups across the board now. I cannot imagine that this information would be as closely revered as the dirty details for the US pups. Would love to see full specs on the S2 and SE pups.

Everybody knows the robot tuner thing is s marketing ploy and that they are really designed to keep guitar in tune while lightly strumming bar chords.

Back