Tone difference - Custom 24 w/o piezo and without?

mateias

Hi all,

I've been looking for a specific spec Custom 24, found one - and then found the same thing with a piezo.

I'm leaning towards the latter, however curious if anyone has noticed any tonal differences between the piezo-equipped and non-piezo guitars? I personally don't think the extra hardware would contribute much - but I can't test any out easily.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I've been looking for a specific spec Custom 24, found one - and then found the same thing with a piezo.

I'm leaning towards the latter, however curious if anyone has noticed any tonal differences between the piezo-equipped and non-piezo guitars? I personally don't think the extra hardware would contribute much - but I can't test any out easily.

Thanks!

I had a SC P245 Semi-hollow. I did not notice any difference between the Piezo and non-Piezo versions.

I just got a custom 24 with the Piezo - it’s going back - the placing of the 5 way is right behind the volume knob and it makes P/U switching difficult. Guitar sounds sounds and plays great - and clearly just may be a me thing on the switching. Good Luck.

I'm contrary to other views on this. To me the tone difference is very noticeable and I prefer the non-piezo bridge significantly. This may be due to my playing clean a great portion of the time and when the gain is up it is less noticeable. I have two HB's, one with and one without, and I really hear the difference either way. On top of that I found the Piezo to not really come close to acoustic guitar sound so I never use it anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a 30th anniversary CU24 from 2015 and a CU24 Piezo from 2016, both with 85/15 pickups, and they are very close. Any slight tonal differences are probably because my 2015 has a maple neck and African Blackwood fingerboard, vs. the 2016 being the standard mahogany/rosewood. Gotta disagree with Huggy B, I get a great sound out of my piezo, although I run mine through acoustic IRs with my Helix, which makes a huge difference.

I'm happy to see this thread because I have been mulling over the notion of piezo or not. I no longer play live, other than at home, so it's not like I need to instantly switch from electric sounding to acoustic sounding. If I want an acoustic sound I put down the electric guitar and pick up the acoustic. Or am I missing something? I already have an S2 Custom 24 (which I believe is the first time I have had a whammy bar that didn't pi$$ me off regularly) so I think my next thing will be a McCarty 594.

I'm happy to see this thread because I have been mulling over the notion of piezo or not. I no longer play live, other than at home, so it's not like I need to instantly switch from electric sounding to acoustic sounding. If I want an acoustic sound I put down the electric guitar and pick up the acoustic. Or am I missing something? I already have an S2 Custom 24 (which I believe is the first time I have had a whammy bar that didn't pi$$ me off regularly) so I think my next thing will be a McCarty 594.

I too never play live anymore and now just enjoy playing at home. I also have a great Electro Acoustic (Washburn EA20 that I had for ~30yrs - fantastic action for an Acoustic too) and, if I wanted an 'Acoustic' sound could just pick up my Acoustic and strum on that.

However, I also have a Hollowbody ii with Piezo. I can send just the acoustic to an acoustic Amp and the magnetics to a standard guitar amp simultaneously. That's only one aspect about having a Piezo built into an Electric Guitar. You can though 'blend' the two together, send both to a single guitar amp. That blend of the magnetics and Piezo together adds a lovely 'sparkle' that other Electrics can't offer and, with the Magnetics, has a sound that no Acoustics can match too.

John Petrucci (Dream Theatre) has a Piezo in his Majesty Monarchy Signature model and the P24 is not that different either. Its not just for Hollowbody guitars (like my HBii), not just to go from an Acoustic type sound with the Piezo straight into a traditional Power rock sound with the Magnetics with a simple flick of a switch - something that may make it easier than having to swap guitars or having the acoustic on a stand and going back and forth between 2 instruments - you can but that's not all these guitars can do.

These guitars have a 3 way switch so you can go from Piezo, to a blend to just magnetic PU's. These guitars offer the option to send the Piezo to a full range/acoustic amp and simultaneously send the Magnetics to a traditional guitar amp or send both the Piezo and magnetics to a single amp. You have control over the blend between both and thus create a tone that a standard Custom 24 doesn't. You maybe able to emulate that by recording yourself on an Acoustic and then recording the exact same thing on a regular Custom 24 and try blending the two together. Another aspect though is that the Electric guitar is easier to play and you won't get an Acoustic with a Trem. I doubt you can find an acoustic that plays well, has great access at the 'dusty' end and has 24 frets. Its a lot easier playing lead on an Electric with Piezo than on an Electro Acoustic.

I don't know whether any of this matters to you or not. I don't know what you play, whether you would get use out of a Piezo loaded Electric - only you will know. I would recommend that if you are interested, you do some research, watch video's of guitar demo's - not just PRS but guitars like the Majesty Monarchy as that is a 'similar' concept to the P24 and may have more examples of blending the piezo in with the magnetics. Personally I love the effect of both blended together...

For me, the main issue I have is that I already own a Cu24 (with an incredible top) and a Hollowbody ii with a Piezo. I don't want to swap my Cu24 for a Cu P24 and also wanting to add a PRS Special 22 more. Maybe 1day I will get a Solid body guitar with a Piezo as I love the sound of the blend but right now, my priorities lie elsewhere

Mozzi, many thanks for this! Food for thought definitely. I really like the idea of experimenting with the sounds that might be possible from what you are saying, rather than simply worrying about whether it is acoustic or electric. Cheers!!

Back