Tone difference between cast and milled aluminum bridges???

Jalguitarman

Hi, as the title says I am wanting to know what the difference in the tone of wrap around bridges made of these two materials as I am trying to make a decision about replacement parts for my Bernie Marsden.
I bought a Schroeder Bridge for it along with the locking studs that they sell which are made of brass. Gave the Bernie a nice singing quality but there was something that changed in the high end. Basically like the highest frequencies are cut off (at least that what it sounds like to me).

So I bought a set of Pigtail bushing and studs with the intent to try the Pigtail studs (steel) and keep the John Mann brass bushings I had installed with the Schroeder bridge. The tech accidentally got things mixed up and changed the bushing to the Steel one's. I decided to try it, Well it's a bit too bright and the pigtail studs are not useable with the Schroeder bridge as the the top and bottom posts are too close together for the bridge to fit. So I am trying to figure out my next course of action.

Honestly the guitar sounded best with the stock combo, but, I really want a bridge that doesn't have preset intonation. So I am considering a couple of different options here. One would be to have the bushings switched back to John Mann Brass bushings and try the Pigtail intonatable bridge or stick with the current bushing and stud combo and try a Tone Pros wrap around. But In order to make a decision I was hoping someone who had tried different bridges with these materials might help give me an idea of what the differences are the two types of Aluminum. I know that The Tone Pros (being made of the Zinc alloy) will be the darkest sounding option, which is why I would keep the steel bushing if I go that route.

Thank you. :)

Don’t get the Tonepros bridge, it’s the wrong radius and the strings pop outta the saddle grooves on bends.

To answer your other question, IDK. I’ve swapped stoptails a number of times on my guitars, and it really comes down to the guitar. Sometimes the SE bridge sounds better, sometimes the aluminum anodized sounds better, and sometimes the...

My recommendation would be to get the Tonepros locking studs and a secondhand adjustable PRS bridge off a Zach Myers SE, and see what happens. It's kind of a crap shoot with bridges, because there's not a set guide on how each one sounds vs the other, but that would be a cheap option.

Don’t get the Tonepros bridge, it’s the wrong radius and the strings pop outta the saddle grooves on bends.

To answer your other question, IDK. I’ve swapped stoptails a number of times on my guitars, and it really comes down to the guitar. Sometimes the SE bridge sounds better, sometimes the aluminum anodized sounds better, and sometimes the...

I didn't know that about the tone pros bridge. I almost bought one but found a used prs adjustable instead.

Back