Tonal differences between core Stoptail and Paul's Guitar Stoptail - comparison video

FunkyFreeman

Moo Panuwat
I've been wondering for a long while how much difference in tone between core Stoptail and Paul's Guitar Stoptail. Both are made from machined aluminium and are identical in shape, excepting that PG bridge has 6 small bars of brass press-fitted into the bridge where there should've been saddle.

A couple days ago I got a PG bridge from one of my friends whose SE Paul's Guitar has been ripped off many hardwares for some fun mods. You can clearly see the physical differences that I said in this photo I took.

lJIvxnW.jpg

mgFiK9N.jpg

Back to the topic. So I managed to test the tonal differences by swapping the two on my Modern Eagle using the same strings set, same amp setting, same pickup position, same camera placement, and even the same pick.

I recorded my fun test in this video.
Skip to @03.08 for standard Stoptail sound
and to @06.03 for PG Stoptail sound.
Sorry for not putting English subtitle as its a quick video edit done by my cell :p

Can you hear any differences?

No matter what you heard, what I heard on-site was that they almost sound identical, both yielded bell-like clarity. But listening carefully enough, PG Stoptail brought up the heights and overall tone sounded brighter and louder a bit. Overall difference, um, I would say not more than 10% in my opinion. But it's somewhat an improvement on tone - as Paul said in his Rules of Tone philosophy.

Just did this because I guess someone might be wondering the same. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Even if the difference is just 1% 'better' to Pauls ear, I have no doubt whatsoever that Paul would make that change - even of it costs more than 1% to add the brass in.

Youtube itself is never the best way to hear anything. Its compressed and reliant on the quality of the device the video is played on. You can get a 'reasonable' idea of the sound of an instrument but you certainly shouldn't be basing your purchase decision on what you hear from a youtube demonstration. Even if you can hear a 'clear' difference between two instruments (like the 594 vs Gibson Les Paul that seems to be a favourite comparison video), you only have the impression of the difference and the sound can be tailored to show one guitar in a more positive light - the way the amp is set up (although not in this case), the way the mic picks up the sounds, the way the sound has been processed for uploading to youtube, which may sound better through the speakers (inc those in headphones) because of the EQ of the device (more bassy or more treble). So many factors that alter the sound you hear in the room to the sound you hear through whatever device you watch a video on.

Personally, I didn't hear much difference myself so I have to take the word of the person in the room conducting the test. It may not all be about the tonal difference, but how that tone sustains and how much more resonant the guitar as a whole is. It may also help the note definition in a strummed chord, make each individual string note be clearer. I am not able to conduct my own tests so I have to take your word because I was not there in person to hear the actual sound of both to know what, if any difference, the little brass inserts make.

The only thing I can say is that if Paul believes it makes any positive difference, then it will be incorporated into the guitars.

I can vouch for the difference that bridge makes. My impression was that the notes felt more solid in the fundamental, and the overtones were very clear.

The difference is very subtle, but it’s there.

Just reinforces that you really need to test things out yourself and not rely on youtube as definitive proof of sound - and that also applies to any subtle differences in tone woods too.

I have no doubt it makes a difference, Paul wouldn't do it for cosmetic reasons and obviously feels it makes enough of a positive difference to do this as standard - even on the SE Paul's guitar too! Its such a small visual difference and you wouldn't realise its there until you change strings so its inclusion can only mean that there is an audible 'difference' and, however subtle, worth doing...

I'm just glad you posted that close-up picture because, until now, I had no idea what "with brass inserts" referred to in its specifications. Would never have figured that out without owning one or having a close-up photo!

Goes to show that the details to which Paul pays attention are really quite tedious.

I'm just glad you posted that close-up picture because, until now, I had no idea what "with brass inserts" referred to in its specifications. Would never have figured that out without owning one or having a close-up photo!

Goes to show that the details to which Paul pays attention are really quite tedious.
Glad you saw it too! I also just attached one more photo for you to better see those brass inserts. Enjoy.

Just reinforces that you really need to test things out yourself and not rely on youtube as definitive proof of sound - and that also applies to any subtle differences in tone woods too.

I have no doubt it makes a difference, Paul wouldn't do it for cosmetic reasons and obviously feels it makes enough of a positive difference to do this as standard - even on the SE Paul's guitar too! Its such a small visual difference and you wouldn't realise its there until you change strings so its inclusion can only mean that there is an audible 'difference' and, however subtle, worth doing...

Exactly. You have to play the thing.

What I found was that the low notes were especially “piano-like” with that bridge on my WL guitar, more so than the other McCartys from the 2016-2017 and earlier periods that I owned (I realize that “piano-like” is an overused phrase, but heck, I’m a piano player first and foremost).

My own thinking is that the more subtle tones of a guitar or amp affect how I play it, what I use it for, etc. I know that sounds vague as hell, but I really can’t explain it any other way. I dug the guitar a lot.

I traded it in for a 594 because I was jonesing for one, but I wish I’d kept it and just waited to buy the 594 (I already had the Soapbar version of the 594 at the time; GAS is a terrible thing!).

LOL PRS is a bit of cult and a bit like wine tasting. There is no way this makes any difference. Purely voodoo marketing and aesthetics, which is fine but you have to accept it as such.

Back