Tom Thumb Blues

mark cassidy

So I bought an S2 Custom 24 and I love it. Plays very smooth, feels very comfortable and I have already put a load of hours into playing. BUT. something has happened which I have not experienced before. About a week ago, maybe 10 days, I started to experience quite severe pain on the inside of my left hand thumb just above the knuckle and the pad of my hand at the base of my thumb feels slightly swollen. I play right handed. Also, the knuckle of the thumb now clicks when I move it. I can't be sure if it's the neck shape or if it's just on account of a lot of playing time. Any thoughts?

Not a clue, but take care of your hand/finger and get a (health care) professional to look at it if this doesn't subside/stop after some rest.

So I bought an S2 Custom 24 and I love it. Plays very smooth, feels very comfortable and I have already put a load of hours into playing. BUT. something has happened which I have not experienced before. About a week ago, maybe 10 days, I started to experience quite severe pain on the inside of my left hand thumb just above the knuckle and the pad of my hand at the base of my thumb feels slightly swollen. I play right handed. Also, the knuckle of the thumb now clicks when I move it. I can't be sure if it's the neck shape or if it's just on account of a lot of playing time. Any thoughts?

Not a physician speaking here, but someone who works in a health-related field: Couple questions first...how much time had you been practicing with the S2 before you noticed the thumb pain? If the answer is several hours a day or more, you may just have a "repetitive stress injury" from overusing the left hand and thumb which has resulted in a straining of tissue and bone. If there is swelling it's likely you've strained the thumb/forefinger.

Just don't practice guitar for a week's time and ice the injury for 2 to 3 days. Common practice to help heal this type of injury is to ice the injury with an ice bag or freezer gel pack in a cloth. Even a bag of frozen peas will do the job. Then, slowly, use a moist, hot compress (facecloth soaked in steaming water) wrapped lengthwise over the thumb joint. Repeat every 3 hours. Do this for 3 days. If you thumb doesn't feel better after a week to 10 days, see a physician.

FTR, the doc would prescribe this treatment barring any other issues he or she might diagnose.

If perhaps the pain is severe enough that you can't use the thumb & forefinger, you may have jammed your thumb sometime overnight while sleeping (reached out and smacked the nightstand, or tossed your left arm and thumb over your head into the wall is a common cause). A jammed thumb usually works itself out in about 6 to 10 days. While not a guitar-related injury, it's a common injury while we work out our daily issues in our dreams.

Try the ice/heat treatment, and arrange for a doctor's appointment if the pain doesn't clear up in just over a week's time. Hopefully, nothing's broken in the thumb region that would require additional medical treatment.

Reactions: jxe
Just like any pulled muscle advil , ice , heat , take it easy try to not press so hard when you resume playing. gradually work up your time and strength and remember to stretch.
see a doc if it becomes reacouring or more painful

Not a physician speaking here, but someone who works in a health-related field: Couple questions first...how much time had you been practicing with the S2 before you noticed the thumb pain? If the answer is several hours a day or more, you may just have a "repetitive stress injury" from overusing the left hand and thumb which has resulted in a straining of tissue and bone. If there is swelling it's likely you've strained the thumb/forefinger.

Just don't practice guitar for a week's time and ice the injury for 2 to 3 days. Common practice to help heal this type of injury is to ice the injury with an ice bag or freezer gel pack in a cloth. Even a bag of frozen peas will do the job. Then, slowly, use a moist, hot compress (facecloth soaked in steaming water) wrapped lengthwise over the thumb joint. Repeat every 3 hours. Do this for 3 days. If you thumb doesn't feel better after a week to 10 days, see a physician.

FTR, the doc would prescribe this treatment barring any other issues he or she might diagnose.

If perhaps the pain is severe enough that you can't use the thumb & forefinger, you may have jammed your thumb sometime overnight while sleeping (reached out and smacked the nightstand, or tossed your left arm and thumb over your head into the wall is a common cause). A jammed thumb usually works itself out in about 6 to 10 days. While not a guitar-related injury, it's a common injury while we work out our daily issues in our dreams.

Try the ice/heat treatment, and arrange for a doctor's appointment if the pain doesn't clear up in just over a week's time. Hopefully, nothing's broken in the thumb region that would require additional medical treatment.
hey, liste, many, many thanks for taking the time to give me this response. And I'm going to follow your suggestions / instructions. Again, many thanks!

Back