Told my wife that I have a bad case of PRS.

Dutch

Played Fenders and Gibsons most my life. Picked up a PRS about a month ago, blew me away, love everything about them. Played a DC3 and S2 Custom 24, awesome guitars, but ended going home with a 2000 PRS Custom 24, emerald green, 10 Top. Felt a bond with that guitar right away. I'll be visiting John Mann's Guitar Vault in Bedford, N.H in a few weeks....... and so it begins. lol

So what do you guys and gals rock with ? Just curious, which model is most popular and why ?

Thanks, Dutch.

I love stories like this. Though I think you'll find that it's hard to name the most popular PRS, they're all so good!

I have, and love, a couple SE's. But I want a ZM SE. And an SE Angelus Custom. And an S2 Singlecut. And a Custom 22. And a 408. And... well, you've been lured in too, you obviously know how I feel!

I go back and forth from my Modern eagle quatro, studio, MC58, p22, se ZM, and my 95 custom 24. What that does not sound right!!!

Ok it's the Cu 24, ME quatro, MC58, Studio,P22, DGT, SE ZM, SE SC. Dang did it again.

Ok finally got it. Cu 24, ME Quatro, P22, Se ZM, MC58, SE SC. This may take a moment!! Skip me and come back.

Welcome to the forum!!!

I started with a KL1812 - basically a Korina Custom 24 with a stop tail and Mira pickups. Sounded great but the neck felt way too skinny and I couldn't adapt to it so returned it.

Next was a 25th Anniversary Swamp Ash Special Narrowfield: great guitar, it was the feel of the neck and the tone of the pickups that sold it to me. This is one I REALLY should have held on to.

I briefly had an SC250 alongside the SAS but the pickups were a little too modern sounding for me so that one got returned as well.

Then I traded the SAS in for a McCarty Artist Pack with Brazilian rosewood fretboard. Impulse buy really - was just so gorgeous both to look at and to play. Fairly quickly realised I shoulda kept the SAS but the shop had already sold it.

Eventually, I wound up with a 408 Standard Trem in an attempt to recapture some of the flexibility of the SAS. This was a great guitar for many, many reasons but I realised I preferred a stop tail and the enlarged bridge pickup was a little too much in humbucker mode. That eventually got sold when I was a bit short of cash.

At this point I'd realised that what I wanted was a stop tail PRS with the McCarty body thickness and two narrow 408 pickups ... and then they brought out the "Paul's Guitar". Knew I wanted one but had to wait a while until I found a second-hand one from a reputable shop - for whom I also had a 10% voucher! - to be able to afford it. Happy as a pig in (great sounding) sh!t now. :)

Would like to get a McCarty and a SAS NF again but that'd involve selling my Gibsons and I'm not quite 'there' yet ...

Started with a SE Soapbar Maple II a few years back. Sold it and regretted it ever since. Since then got a Bernie Marsden that I love to bits and I (relatively) recently got an SE Custom 24. Couldn't gel with the neck of the C24 so it got sold. Great guitar in other respects.

Got major Gas for the McCarty Singlecut:

http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...inglecut-(The-NAMM-Monster)-arrives-at-GTRMAV

Will have even worse gas for the US Bernie Marsden that may be in the works... Mira, Custom 22, SC245... Probably others... Thankfully I'm broke so it tames the gas somewhat!

Not sure what the most popular PRS's are...

In terms of the SE's the Zach Myers has really taken off. The Marsden has been extremely popular and I'm sure the Custom 24 must do really well too. Not sure about the US core models... Just wish PRS was more popular in the UK all round. fed up of only ever seeing LP's and Strats!

And so it begins. I believe you are in good company with myself and AP515 as I believe we both also have the same green CU24 as yourself, AP however has the Artist Package version. Welcome to the rest of your life's obsession, haha

Welcome to the club, Dutch. PRS guitars are like potato chips... You can't have just one. I am up to number 6 and am planning how to sneak number 7 past my wife.. Lol

My wife got me a McCarty back in 2004 I think. That was my first PRS, still rockin it. I have added cu22 cu24 ce 22 ce24 since then. The CE22 with dragon I pickups seems to be the one I reach for first, I play better on it too. It oozes mojo like crazy. I'm not good enough to use all that mojo so most of it ends up on the floor!

Whatever you get while you're at John's... Make sure you pickup one of his bridges to go along with it.

Last edited:
The Custom 24 is a ledgend. I also seem drawn to the McCarty model. I have one of each of the aforementioned as well as a Swap Ash Studio. My next PRS is likely to be another McCarty.

Lately I've been playing my dgt but my s2 cu24 is getting alot of love too. She goes to the doctor today to get some upgrades lol. I've also got an se clint lowrey tuned to drop b for my drop tuning stuff. I'm gasing for a cu24 floyd ..

Yeah, they kind of grow on you after a while. All I have are three SEs, but what great guitars they are. I have a CU24, 245, and a ZM and can't put them down Just find what you like and ENJOY!!!

When my Partner-in-Crime and I first got together she couldn't understand why I had more than one guitar. You see she is pretty frugal with money for the most part. So I started to explain that guitars were like women... and that got me a pretty good look. Of course I was poking at the rattlesnake on purpose. I then said this gem: Guitars are like shoes and different kinds of music are like different occasions. How many pairs of shoes do you have? That nearly sealed the deal until one night the band in front of us had a guitar player break a string and asked to borrow someone else's guitar for their last song. Since I always bring a backup and that is my other reason I gave for all the gear in general I just looked at her and smiled. It hasn't been an issue since. :)

I fell in love with PRS guitars back in the late 90's but currently I have one SE singlecut of an unknown year and make. I do have a ZM SE that came, went back for finish issues and I am patiently waiting for the replacement. I have played a number of SE's which are better than just about anything else $1,000 and below IMO and I have played several core PRS's and have loved every one of them. Someday I will have a PS or a core model but it will take some time. :)

Back