Toggle switches: is this weird?

What position do you leave toggles in?

• Middle - but not for your goofy reason

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ovibos

Naughty Wood Librarian
I've found I have this weird thing about 3-way toggles - something makes me think that the middle position creates less stress on it, so I find myself flipping them to the middle when I put the guitar down.

Is this nonsense? Weird? True, but pointless?

I haven’t really thought about it. I don’t move it when putting it into the case, so I voted that. I’m on the bridge pickup most often, so that’s probably where it is normally. But if the last song was a neck pickup number, there it shall be until next use!

I have always defaulted to putting my guitar (any/all of them) back in its case with toggle in the neck position, volume off, and tone up. I don't know why. I'm trying to be less anal about these little things.

I tend to mostly agree w/what @veinbuster said, but... I did recently have to work on my DGT's toggle. It had developed some static, and the bridge pup position was starting to go intermittent. I don't case this one, so the static wasn't a huge surprise. The intermittent function, though, was a bit troubling, especially because the neck position was fine. I can only surmise that leaving it in that position all the time had pushed the tine out a little bit over time and created the problem. A little gentle bending work, and it's good as new.

And did I learn my lesson? I'll bet you can guess what position the toggle is in now. Or at least I think it's in that position.

And for the record, I pay no attention to what position the toggle is in when I put my guitars up, cased or not. The DGT is the only PRS that has developed that issue (at least so far).

My brain says that use is what wears out parts. Always setting the toggle back to a certain position no matter where it is when you stop playing = more use. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Bridge all the time. I used to keep it in the middle years ago, but then it’s sticking up higher in the case.

Depends on which side of the guitar the toggle's on - if it's the traditional PRS shape with toggle near the knobs, in the bridge position.

If it's a 594 or SC, with the toggle on the other side of the guitar, the guitar gets cased with the toggle in the neck position.

Why? I have no idea. At some point (early '70s?) I started doing it that way when I played Gibson, and it stuck. I'm a creature of habit, no matter the cause. :p

Back