Today I'm Thankful...

Sunday 10-25-2015, and I'm thankful for today. It's getting colder (down into the 30s last night); the smell of the wood burning in the fireplaces; the Halloween decorations (I got a new .99 skeleton at the drugstore last night); the Fall weather... I love it!

Today on the tube I've got the Formula 1 race from AUSTIN TEXAS! The CRASHCAR guys are in Alabama for The BBQ Ribs-Banana Pudding-Mr. Pibb 250, and my guess for caution flags = 11. My Texas Longhorns won yesterday, I've got hot and cold water again... I'M GRATEFUL!!!

A Great Sunday to Everybody!

Goldtop Lloyd

Tuesday Oct. 27, 2015. I am thankful that Halloween is Near! I Love It!

Goldtop - HUGE Halloween Fan!

Today is Wednesday October 28th, 2015 and I am thankful for... Black Cats!

Recently a thread posed the question 'are you superstitious?', and although I haven't given a reply yet, the short answer for me is "Yes I am". One of my superstitions is the one about black cats crossing your path. Fifty-one weeks a year I don't want black cats crossing my path and will go to almost any extreme to prevent it. BUT, during Halloween week, it's the exact opposite. Bring 'em on!

Earlier today a black cat ran in front of me as I was driving home. That means it's gonna be a Great Halloween!!! (Either that, or we're going to have six more weeks of thunderstorms.) :laugh:

Goldtop Lloyd

Today is Thursday Oct. 29th, and I'm thankful for family.

I don't have any family. I was an only child, and my parents died many years ago. When I was growing up my home life wasn't good. Not to get into the ugly details, but fights, verbal and physical violence, hard financial times, and just general misery was my day to day. Today the way I grew up would be considered abuse. It was a different time.

I've got a former neighbor who is very, very ill. She's got lots of health problems, the worst of which is diabetes and kidney failure. She's been in and out of the hospital for the last two weeks, and she's back in again now. Earlier today her blood sugar dropped into the 20s and she coded. The staff managed to save her, but it's touch and go. She had a surgery scheduled for today but it had to be postponed because she's so unstable.

She has an elderly mom and step-dad who live several hundred miles away, and they've come to be with her. It is amazing to see the love between them. They care so much, and even though things are very serious right now, they're together and fighting and holding on to each other. I'm just a family friend, but they treat me as if I'm one of them, and it's an honor. To see how they are, and to feel their love, is amazing.

Now and then here on the forum someone talks about their families, and I'm sure it can be a challenge to discuss your personal lives in this setting. I want to thank you for doing so.

FAMILY!!!

Lloyd/Goldtop

Last edited:
Damnit Lloyd, I don't know ya, and I haven't really interacted with you on the forums. But I'll be damned if I wouldn't like to hop in the truck and drive from Chiacgo to Texas to shake your hand, tip a couple, smoke a stogie, and crank some tunes with you. You're good people in my book.

Damnit Lloyd, I don't know ya, and I haven't really interacted with you on the forums. But I'll be damned if I wouldn't like to hop in the truck and drive from Chiacgo to Texas to shake your hand, tip a couple, smoke a stogie, and crank some tunes with you. You're good people in my book.
Well, thank you for that! Right back at you. Maybe one of these days we'll make it happen, either in Chicago, or here, or at PRS, or ... Who knows?

Lloyd

Saturday 10-31-2015, and I'm thankful for my favorite time and holiday... HALLOWEEN!!!

Goldtop Lloy​d

Halloween is my favorite, too, although it's been a MAJOR disappointment since we moved to this house 15 years ago. In those 15 years, I don't think we've had 20 kids. Total. So many people on the hill leading to our street don't give out candy, so I think what few kids do trick or treat around here don't come up the hill because they get discouraged. It sucks because I used to go more all out - I have fake tombstones ("Yes, I'm sure it's not loaded"), and a couple years I had a mannequin built with an Ace Frehley mask and a spotlight and boom box on a motion detector. Never got around to building a coffin to hand out candy from on the porch.

So, tell the kids to swing by my house on their routes! Ah, who am I kidding - kids these days won't walk a thousand miles or so for fun size candy bars...

Today is Friday Nov. 6, 2015, and I'm thankful for a number of things.

First of all, the woman I mentioned in a previous post finally got out of the hospital and went back to her 'home' at a nursing home. Her elderly parents made it back home safely and that's a good thing because they were absolutely worn out. It was a very difficult couple of weeks for them, and I'm thankful they have it all behind them now.

I'm also thankful because it looks like I may be able to keep my apartment. It's too soon to be sure, but it's looking promising.

I am tired and I'm ready for a few days off to rest, relax, play my guitar, and just catch my breath. Thankfully, I've got a great weekend ahead of me.

Goldtop LPC

Today is an obvious one. It's Wed. 11-11-2015, and of course I'm thankful to The Veterans in the world. To everyone who ever served their country, regardless of which era, branch, location, or the nature of the duty, Thank You. Because of the sacrifices made by you and your loved ones we enjoy freedoms that many people in the world can't even begin to imagine.

Lloyd/Goldtop

Today is an obvious one. It's Wed. 11-11-2015, and of course I'm thankful to The Veterans in the world. To everyone who ever served their country, regardless of which era, branch, location, or the nature of the duty, Thank You. Because of the sacrifices made by you and your loved ones we enjoy freedoms that many people in the world can't even begin to imagine.

Lloyd/Goldtop

+1000

Today is 11-13-2015. FRIDAY THE 13TH! As superstitious as I am, I'm thankful that I don't have to leave home today.

On a more positive note, I'm thankful that it's the weekend. Football! F1 from Brazil. Also, it's the last Drag Race of the season, The NHRA World Finals from Pomona. The end of their season also marks the end of their agreement with ESPN. FINALLY, no more ESPN and their abysmal scheduling and coverage of Drag Racing. Speaking for NHRA fans everywhere, allow me to say Good Riddance!

Have a Great Weekend Everybody. :top:

Lloyd/Goldtop

It's Tuesday Nov. 17th and I'm thankful for the following:

My health. It's not great, but it's better than it was a few years ago. For the most part my heart problems are stable. As far as the other things (shoulder, knee, back), I'm holding my own. Surgery is out of the question because of my heart, so I'm doing what I can to live with it all. And I try my best to remember that my problems are nothing compared to those many people are dealing with, so no complaints here.

The weather. Fall is here and Winter is in the air. Typical for this part of the country, we have some crazy weather happening right now. Thunderstorms, high winds, a few tornado sightings, rain and hail, power outages... All of that was in the last 24 hours. I just want a pretty, Winter snow that covers the ground and looks like a painting. Is that too much to ask?

My apartment. This month is good. I may have to leave in December, but I'm here today so I'm thankful for that.

The people I know here on the Forum. I think of you as friends, and I really appreciate you all.

I hope everyone has a great week.

Lloyd/Goldtop

Last edited:
Wed. 11-18-2015.

In my post here yesterday I mentioned the wild weather in my area over the last few days. Monday night in a small town east of here a tornado said to be a mile wide touched down. It destroyed a chemical plant, overturned cars, trucks, and railroad cars. In another small town south of there a tornado hit an oil refinery and did similar damage. There was hail from quarter sized up to baseball sized. Severe weather was also reported in the DFW area.

http://www.rt.com/usa/322369-massive-tornado-texas-halliburton-plant/

http://www.weather.com/travel/commu...ather-central-southern-plains-tornado-impacts

Here in Amarillo yesterday afternoon we had high winds, sleet, and snow, all in the space of a few hours. Northwest of here up towards New Mexico they received up to a foot of snow.

Through all of this, it seems that there were no deaths and few injuries. That's amazing, considering just how quickly it all took place, and I'm thankful for that.

I hope everyone has a good, safe Wednesday.

Lloyd/Goldtop

Last edited:
Today is Sunday 11-22-2015, and one reason I'm thankful is Marty Stuart. He loves and respects music, especially Country Music, and he shows it in the ways he remembers artists either almost forgotten or never really well known to begin with. He's a collector and historian of the music he loves. I admire the honor and respect he has for Native Americans and their history. I also admire him for being such a music fan. He loves music, and he's not 'too cool' to let his enthusiasm show.

I'm glad to know that there will be new episodes of his tv show in the future. I'm ready! Now, if only I could convince him to play in my living room!

Goldtop Lloyd

P.S. - One more thing about Marty. His two main guitars? One is "Clarence", as in Clarence White. His old Tele with the string benders in it. The other? "Cash", an old Martin that once belonged to Marty's ex-Father-in-Law, Johnny Cash. And he doesn't keep them locked away out of sight. He plays them, tours with them, even lets guitar nerds like me check 'em out if the situation allows it. Talk about cool!

Last edited:
Monday 11-23-2015 and I'm thankful for a new week. I also thankful that Thanksgiving is almost here. Cool weather, the holidays, a dollar or two in my pocket... Life is Good!

Lloyd

Today is Thursday 11-26-2015 and I'm thankful for... You.

Starting with Mr. Smith himself and including everyone who has ever helped make PRS Guitars what it is, I thank you. And likewise to everyone who is now - or has ever been - a part of The PRS Forum. Each of you help make all things PRS as special as they are, and I'm thankful to you all.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Lloyd

It's early Sunday morning, 11-29-2015, and I'm thankful that as far as I've heard it's been a good, safe holiday weekend for most of us. A serious ice storm hit here Wed. evening and just kept coming. Not a great deal of snow, but sheets of ice followed by more of the same. Highs in the 20's since then, many roads closed, reports of traffic accidents in the hundreds. It was so bad here Friday that UPS shut down; I don't remember that ever happening before.

It's been a perfect time to stay inside if possible, keep your guitar and your hot chocolate close, and wait it out. Here's hoping that each of you and your families are safe, wherever you may be.

Goldtop Lloyd

Back