Today I'm Thankful...

Goldtop

A Top (and Heart) of Gold
There are some fairly serious things going on in my life right now. Some good, some not as good, and a few where it's still too soon to tell. I have a bit control over a few of them, but for the most part all I can do is just wait and see and hope for the best. (Easier said than done for me. The longer something drags on, the more I tend to worry about it.) It helps me to try to keep it all in perspective and remember that even though things are rarely perfect, they're usually not as bad as they might be.

With all that in mind, if it's alright with the powers that be here at the forum, I'd like to start a new thread with the following topic:

Today I'm thankful for/because of...

It's not my intention to start a touchy-feely encounter group here. This isn't the time or place; I get that. Mostly I just see it as a chance for people to open up a bit if they want to do so and maybe help themselves or someone else in the process. I think it might be interesting to hear what we all have to say.

I'll start it off:

Today I'm thankful for the PRS Forum, and for being allowed to be a part of it. This place has been a breath of fresh air from the start, and it continues to be one today. There is very little rudeness, criticism, or ugliness of any kind to be found here. As far as music instrument forums go, it's almost in a class by itself. There isn't a lot of one-upmanship going on here, no 'look what I have that you don't and probably never will', and to me that makes a huge difference in the overall atmosphere. Likewise, I think the policy of no sales or trades allowed is one of the best moves the admins. could have made, and I hope that rule never changes.

Almost without exception, the members here are kind, generous, and respectful. They're open, honest, and can be light-hearted, and they're always ready to be helpful and supportive when it's needed.

I always look forward to coming here, and on the days when I can't make it I really miss it. I consider a number of you to be my friends, even though we've never even laid eyes on each other. Pretty great, all things considered...

Goldtop Lloyd

P.S. - This may further enhance my reputation as a 'PRS Fanboi', but that's cool. I've been called a lot worse! Also, please forgive my weird font happenings here. On top of everything else, my computer is acting up. :dontknow:

Last edited:
You nailed it Lloyd. Thanks for doing your part to make this such a great place. :top:

Indeed, Lloyd! It's a great community. If not for this place, I would not have met so many cool cats at various events. Pretty sure that I'll talk to some guys here til one of us kicks the bucket. That's pretty damn cool. I tend to complain about my job a fair amount, at least the hours I work. I try to keep in perspective that it affords me to have a house, nice gear, and of course PRSi.

I move to strike this thread. Clearly, Lloyd knows that next week is the vote as to whether his continued participation here will be allowed, and this is a blatant, cynical attempt to sway votes in his favor! HARUMPH!!!!

Well put, Lloyd. I think I may have met more great people because of this forum than anywhere else. I've had numerous people approach me because of this forum, and the 70% spitting rate is far lower than anywhere else!

not as bad as they might be.
.........or not as bad as they could be. We all have difficult things in life to go thru, prayers & best wishes in what you have to deal with. Most importantly take care of yourself on the eating, & getting rest levels, it helps a lot during difficulties and having to make decisions during those times.

That said we're all giving props & support but not playing the game. So here goes...

I'm thankful I can still play the guitar. After falling to a degenerated disk and badly pinched nerves at one time I lost sensation & function ability of my right index finger & thumb and the ring and pinky fingers of my left hand. I no longer can play keyboards, percussion and have to use speech software to post on the PRS forum, all attributed to decades of typing, sitting at a desk and computer use. After physical therapy and acupuncture I am able to at least play guitar & bass but I am limited to how much & long I can play, and chunking out rhythm chops has become a problem. I'm relegated to songwriting and playing lead/melody. It's actually a blessing in some ways because although I take pride in my backing arrangements, writing songs and noodling around :redface: are what I like to do most.

Aside from being thankful I'm alive and my kid is safe, I'm just glad I have feeling in at least 9 of my digits.

Last edited:
Bro hugs and high fives to you Lloyd! Your positive attitude is always an inspiration to me and a great reminder to always be thankful for what I have.

Man, this past year has been a tough one for me health wise too. I've had at least two issues at the same time since last October, and overtime I get them under control something else pops up.. it's becoming comically tragic in a way, I've missed a lot of great opportunities and I kinda can't wait until this year is over.

But that's one of the reasons I enjoy this place so much, y'all lift my spirits and give me something to look forward to every day. The camaraderie, kindness, and generosity of everybody here makes this my favorite stop on the whole internet, in fact it may be the only reason I have Comcast.

I'm thankful for what I do have: love, great friends, and even the struggles that make me try harder.

Peace, buddy.

Very well said Lloyd, thanks buddy :)

Today I'm thankful for being fortunate enough to have a high standard of health care in my country. I was in hospital on Friday for a tear in my oesophagus, and today I'm back at work. There's a whole bunch of people in the world that can't even access basic medical assistance and here's me, in a bed, blood samples taken and on a drip within half an hour of rocking up to the hospital. Very fortunate indeed.

Very well said. I scoured this forum for over a year before pulling the trigger on my Custom 24. One of the things that stood out was the lack of flame wars...that and the wealth of knowledge available.

Last edited:
Thank you for the kind words everybody. I really don't think I deserve them, but I appreciate them just the same. All I'm doing is trying to keep up with you guys!

Today I'm thankful because:

It's a new day. And a new week. A chance for things to become a little clearer, and maybe a little better, for all of us. In my case, I've got some medical things coming up this week, and maybe they'll go well. I had an appt. last week and got some info that took the wind out of my sails, so I'm hoping for better this week.

Also, a new week means new posts here from lots of people, which is always cool. So have a good week everybody!

Lloyd/Goldtop

Again, thank you all for your kind words. You're the greatest!

I move to strike this thread. Clearly, Lloyd knows that next week is the vote as to whether his continued participation here will be allowed, and this is a blatant, cynical attempt to sway votes in his favor! HARUMPH!!!!

Well put, Lloyd. I think I may have met more great people because of this forum than anywhere else. I've had numerous people approach me because of this forum, and the 70% spitting rate is far lower than anywhere else!

Thanks Alan. Who was it that made that famous quote along the lines of 'I wouldn't belong to any club that would have me'? If things come to a vote I'm afraid I'm probably done for!

Btw, I love your avatar. GOLDTOP DGT!!!

Lloyd

.........or not as bad as they could be. We all have difficult things in life to go thru, prayers & best wishes in what you have to deal with. Most importantly take care of yourself on the eating, & getting rest levels, it helps a lot during difficulties and having to make decisions during those times.

That said we're all giving props & support but not playing the game. So here goes...

I'm thankful I can still play the guitar. After falling to a degenerated disk and badly pinched nerves at one time I lost sensation & function ability of my right index finger & thumb and the ring and pinky fingers of my left hand. I no longer can play keyboards, percussion and have to use speech software to post on the PRS forum, all attributed to decades of typing, sitting at a desk and computer use. After physical therapy and acupuncture I am able to at least play guitar & bass but I am limited to how much & long I can play, and chunking out rhythm chops has become a problem. I'm relegated to songwriting and playing lead/melody. It's actually a blessing in some ways because although I take pride in my backing arrangements, writing songs and noodling around :redface: are what I like to do most.

Aside from being thankful I'm alive and my kid is safe, I'm just glad I have feeling in at least 9 of my digits.

Thank you for sharing this. I had no idea you had these sorts of problems. It's amazing how you've faced it all and adapted to get beyond it.

It strikes me how many of us here have medical issues that we deal with. Everybody has trials and problems; that's part of life. But there are a lot of members here who deal with serious, life-changing illnesses and conditions every day. Not to mention those who have family members with medical issues which affect the entire family.

It's an honor to be in the company of so many strong, courageous people.

Lloyd/Goldtop

hi;

Often, we lose sight of the fact that people have problems and issues. Man, if I listed all of mine it would take three pages of foolscap (anyone remember foolscap?). I wish everyone the best and hope that life works out for you in a positive manner.

This is what I'm thankful for ...

I'm thankful that I can still play with some level of skill and competence after all these years.
I'm thankful that PRS makes geetars, 'cause I like to play them.
I'm thankful for the good looking woman, with really big boobies, who took a liking to me last nite (and today).

I've got a laundry list of my own problems too...I guess I'm thankful that they are mine. I saw somewhere that if everyone threw all their troubles into a pile, we'd be diving in to get our own troubles back. We are who we are because of the pains and the pleasures that we live through...I know I will, and hope everyone who has had the courage to post here... be better, stronger people when we come out the other side. The glass is half full my friends...let's fill it back up to the top!!:top:

I've lost count of how many times this or that member has had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel. Thankfully, almost all have come through. Many, including me, did so with help, both public and private, from fellow forum members.

Look at the top of every page here:

"PRS Forum
A New PRS Community"

That's what Lloyd is on about.

Last edited:
I've lost count of how many times this or that member has had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peal. Thankfully, almost all have come through. Many, including me, did so with help, both public and private, from fellow forum members.

Look at the top of every page here:

"PRS Forum
A New PRS Community"

That's what Lloyd is on about.

There is definitely a community spirit here. It's by far one of the most welcoming forums on the Internet. Nobody is a snob who looks down on those who can't afford the more expensive gear or based on their skill level. We're here because we all love guitar and a particular brand. Great bunch of folks!

Well said Lloyd, and thanks for saying it. While I'm still a newbie here, I've been around computer forums for long enough to realize that this is at the top of the pile. The folks here all seem to genuinely care about each other and while there is teasing, it's all in good humor.

I'm thankful that I'm going to see my oldest son and his wife in a couple of weeks, and I'm able to take my wife, my younger son, his girlfriend and their son along with us.

Back