To say hi and my thoughts on PRS.

andyfr

Hi guys, joined the forum recently and wanted to say hello and tell you a bit about myself.

Back in the 70s I fronted a band and played guitar, mainly just chords as the guitarist played the lead. Back then I had a number of different guitars but my favourite was an Antoria LP copy, didn’t have much money! I eventually stopped doing gigs and sold all my kit. A few years ago when I was starting to think about retirement I was looking for a new challenge and I thought that learning to play properly would be ideal. Back in the day we didn’t really know anything about scale lengths or the different neck radii, just the different string gauges and I always favoured 9s.

I should mention at this point that we live in the Highlands of Scotland so it wasn’t possible to try a variety of guitars and I ended up doing a deal over the phone on a new Taylor acoustic. A really lovely guitar but I found it really hard to play. After a couple of years I did another deal over the phone to trade it in for a new Mexican Strat and an amp. The Strat is much easier to play and I realised that I should have gone for an electric in the first place.

I am now thinking about getting a PRS. I have been really impressed with the ethos of the company in the videos I have seen and just have to decide which one to go for. I want a singlecut but can’t decide between an SE 245 or to spend double and get an S2 singlecut, not the standard but the one without a scratchplate. I know that they are slightly different scale lengths so wondered how much of a difference it makes, can you tell much of a difference in string tension or playability? Is the S2 worth double?

I know your first response is likely to be to go and try them side by side but it would mean having to travel several hundred miles to the nearest dealer who only has SE 245s in stock. Looking at the other dealers in the rest of the UK they don’t seem to have in stock both the SE 245 singlecut and the S2 singlecut so it’s not really feasible unfortunately.

It will most likely be next year before I get around to trading the Strat but your opinions on which PRS to go for will be most welcome.

Sorry for the long post.

Welcome!

From a quality of guitar standpoint, I would recommend the S2. The SE’s are certainly good (I have a few), but the S2’s are a bit more resonant, and already have many of the “upgrades” that people end up doing to the SE.

The scale length difference is noticeable, but if you’re coming from a strat, you’ll find either considerably easier to play. The other difference will be the neck shape - the SE will be beefier, the S2 is more lean in width and depth. For reference, your strat is likely somewhere in between.

Happy hunting!

I went from a Tele to a PRS S2 Standard 24. The transition couldn't have been easier. The Tele had a similar neck profile to your MIM Strat (both modern C). I'm using 11s and the PRS almost plays itself. I've also had a couple of SEs and now the S2. The SEs are nice guitars, but the S2's are definitely a step up.

If you were talking about a Custom or a Standard, I’d be more inclined to say an S2 would be a better idea..

But, the SE 245 and Bernie are just out of this world incredible values in guitars. I don’t feel like the hardware really needs replacing, the scale length and smaller frets seem more acceptable since they kinda chase a Gibson vibe, and the styling (appearance/looks) are way more luxurious.

Get a Bernie or a 245, dump some pickups (or not, the SE 245s are amongst the best of the SE pickups) in there, and then save up for a used Core guitar down the line.

I have always offered this counsel, and I think it is appropriate here. "Buy the best guitar you can afford." You'll be happier in the long run and will do less mods.

If you only have the money for an SE, get the SE. It's a great guitar. You won't be settling. If you have the money for an S2, buy an S2. If you have the money for a used Core, get the used Core. And up the ladder it goes. I've never heard someone say, "I wish I hadn't paid for a Core", but I have many times heard someone say, "Now I'm saving up for a Core." In the long run, paying for what you really want is always worth it.

Thanks for the welcome and replies guys.

One of the first things I did when I got the Strat was to put locking tuners on. That is one of the advantages of the S2 as it already has them, also on the new models it has the intonatable bridge, those are a couple of the reasons I'm leaning towards an S2.

I know your first response is likely to be to go and try them side by side but it would mean having to travel several hundred miles to the nearest dealer who only has SE 245s in stock. Looking at the other dealers in the rest of the UK they don’t seem to have in stock both the SE 245 singlecut and the S2 singlecut so it’s not really feasible unfortunately.
Hi and welcome,

just curious - what about dealers like Andertons? I just happen to know of them because of their YT channel
but according to their website they do have numerous SEs and S2s in stock. And as far as I can tell they do
offer a 14 days return policy.
It's hard to tell how much difference the scale length would make to you, especially if maybe you're
down tuning 1/2 step or so. So I'd second Sergios advice - get one of the SEs and see how you like them.

As far as I know the SE Tremonti Standard has a 25" scale length. So there's quite some options to
choose from: 24.5" vs 25.0" and 22 Frets vs 24 Frets :)

Yes Andertons is one of the better dealers but they are 600 miles away and over 10 hours to drive there.

Yes Andertons is one of the better dealers but they are 600 miles away and over 10 hours to drive there.

Welcome to the forum :) Andertons have a 14 day returns policy so you could at least buy the one you think you are most likely to want, try it and send it back within that time if it turns out not to be for you. I live much closer to Andertons and I would offer to help try things for you but it wouldn't help you a lot and I might accidentally buy something for myself!

The Guitar and Amp Centre (GAK) also have a great range of PRS guitars and a similar 14 day returns policy.

Welcome to the forum :) Andertons have a 14 day returns policy so you could at least buy the one you think you are most likely to want, try it and send it back within that time if it turns out not to be for you. I live much closer to Andertons and I would offer to help try things for you but it wouldn't help you a lot and I might accidentally buy something for myself!

The Guitar and Amp Centre (GAK) also have a great range of PRS guitars and a similar 14 day returns policy.

Thanks for that, I hadn't thought it would be a possibility. Not sure how it would work with a trade in, I assume I would have to send mine to them first, anyway, worth thinking about.

I own a Bernie and a S2 Satin Singlecut Standard. Not quite what you are looking at, but I can give my input nonetheless.
  1. Many find the nut and tuners on the SE 245 functional and see no need to upgrade them. With those upgrades, my Bernie's tuning stability is now as good as my USA models.
  2. The Bernie has fretboard binding, and while it is nice, the rounded fretboard edges on the S2 feel much nicer. Not sure what you would get with the SE 245.
  3. The fretwire on the Bernie is shallower and feels rougher. My fingernails pull away from the nailbed quite easily when bending. With the S2 I can play one string gauge higher for roughly the same amount of effort. Having slightly higher and better quality (or maybe just polished better) fretwire is a big upgrade for someone like me.
  4. Combined with the difference in fretwire, the longer scale length works extremely well for the strings I like using (8-46). This is something that is personal to me though. 8-46 strings on the Bernie work well (and bend like a dream), but the high E just works that little better on the 25'' scale of the S2.
  5. The USA output jack assembly is just much nicer than the equivalent SE assembly. This is something that should never be an issue, but I like the having that extra bit of quality available. There are other areas where the extra quality is apparent - this is just something I noticed.
If you wanted to upgrade the SE 245 to the equivalent quality level, I would say that you'd be better off just buying the S2. That being said, if all you are looking for is a decent quality guitar, then the SE 245 with some upgrades is a very good value - just be careful though, my Bernie has already cost me more (guitar + upgrades exclusive of pickups) than the S2 Satin Singlecut.

Hi Andyfr

Highlands is a broad area. Is the Kennys at Aberdeen too far?
https://www.kennysmusic.co.uk/brands/prs?p=2

Mostly SEs but they have some singlecuts across the 4 Scottish stores. Probably they would send for any that took your fancy?

Dont forget to check sites like Gumtree for private ads

We are in Inverness and I have seen Kennys website but haven't seen any S2 singlecuts each time I looked. Although as it will be next year when I will be seriously on the lookout I will keep there in mind.

Hi and welcome, for your info Guitar Guitar in Glasgow have a nice range of SE and Core guitars.

I appreciate that it’s a bit of a trek from Inverness, but maybe a weekend trip might be worth the gamble as there is a larger Kennys store there too. However GG have the better range.

Speaking from recent experience and no affiliation to either store.

Happy hunting :D

Back