To Refinish or Not To Refinish?

To Refinish or Not To Refinish?

• Restore it to it's Original FBJ

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Love the Fade! Keep it!

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters

PRSHB2

Very soon now I will be shipping my beloved Faded FBJ ME1 off to the PTC to have them give it a Glossy Finish and rub Magical Pixie Dust into the BRW neck. I lean very heavily towards leaving the faded color as is. I figure I know I like how it looks now, but there's really no way of knowing how it looked right out of the spray booth. I know the majority of you would leave it alone entirely and not even go the gloss route. Being that I had already begun the process myself, having that completed (in true PTC style) is a given for me.

Before Glossing:
i-Pk7s8cw-XL.jpg

Glossy Top:
i-4sL6xnH-XL.jpg

I don't have a decent photo that really shows the difference between the Original and the Glossy look.

Example of the Fade:
i-bCBqWmg-XL.jpg

I was unaware of the fade until I removed the bridge and knobs to continue the glossing process. I never got around to completing it so I went ahead and put her all back together so I could play her rather than sitting in the case. Therein lies my dilemma. Do I leave the fade as is or have it restored to it's original FBJ? Remember that regardless of which direction I go, it will be glossy.

What would you do? Inquiring minds want to know. Please share pics of your NOS FBJ ME1's. I'd love to see some various unfaded versions - old or new.

To make this a bit more exciting I will cast a vote to break the 1 -1 Tie.

To make this a bit more exciting I will cast a vote to break the 1 -1 Tie.

Hey Jeff! Sorry to leave your poll hangin' but I have a hard time with blue. Can I vote leave it (in the sun to fade completely)?

Once you refin the guitar, the cherry is popped whether you go half way or all the way. I say go the distance and have it re-stained.

Hey Jeff! Sorry to leave your poll hangin' but I have a hard time with blue. Can I vote leave it (in the sun to fade completely)?
I'm so glad you used the word POLL. I figure that over time it will continue to fade to natural if I leave it.

Hans: That will really depend on how much a complete refin would cost. I've yet to ask that question. I may as well, sure can't hurt. Other than my checking account.

Refinish that Beauty!? please take this as a friendly question, from a virtual friend....but

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR DAMM MIND!? ;)

That color is in that unobtainable never never land between Glacier Blue and FBJ - BEAUTIFUL.

Did you ever see the Harold and Kumar go to White Castle Movie? Do you remember what Kumar's Dad told him about his interview for medical school? "Don't **** It up!".

Rant off.... :D:D

I'm so glad you used the word POLL. I figure that over time it will continue to fade to natural if I leave it.

Hans: That will really depend on how much a complete refin would cost. I've yet to ask that question. I may as well, sure can't hurt. Other than my checking account.
I totally understand that one, Jeff!

Refinish that Beauty!? please take this as a friendly question, from a virtual friend....but

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR DAMM MIND!? ;)

That color is in that unobtainable never never land between Glacier Blue and FBJ - BEAUTIFUL.

Did you ever see the Harold and Kumar go to White Castle Movie? Do you remember what Kumar's Dad told him about his interview for medical school? "Don't **** It up!".

Rant off.... :D:D
Preach it brutha!!! And the best part, that is how it looked when I got it. I think it's faded a bit since I've had it, but it had already been run through the washer a number of times to get that broken in look thanks to Markie. There are even areas where you can practically see the natural wood grain. Honestly I can't really imagine changing the color of it. (And no, I haven't seen the movie. Checking Netflix now)

See what I mean!
i-WHCThxJ-XL.jpg

Sorry for the quality of this shot, major cropping going on here. I have no idea if this is from fading or what, but I love the look personally. Both the pic above and this close-up were taken before I started glossing it myself. There are bits of natural wood that shows through in various locations on the top, with the upper horn being the most prevalent. I seriously love how it has aged.

i-k3sQndW.jpg

You know I'm a huge advocate for refinishes but when I saw what model it was and how beautifully the FBJ faded to I must politely say NO F$#%@ING WAY! I think the fade adds to the sophistication of the ME.

It is I, the poo pooer of fake provenance.

This however is real provenance. It is the product of years of playing love. Keep it. Don't kill the love.

As you're having work done anyway, I would probably get the stain re-applied but I'd ask that it be done VERY sympathetically. Some FBJs end up too bright/too blue, so I'd be sure to ask the PTC to ensure it keeps the same vibe it has now.

I LOVE faded blue jean but I have not seen a new one to match the original ones, they are good but different now. The blue is darker and less faded. I say leave it that color that it has faded to, it is beautiful.

Mine is below and has not faded at all yet and is to me the prototypical FBJ shade and ME color. I hope when mine fades it does so as well as yours has.

IMG_1131.jpg

I love how it has faded to its current state. I don't think a refin is a bad idea at all, but I like it as it is.

If you're thinking about having it refinished, you should consider changing the color to something like Makena Blue or Jade!

While I think FBJ is the iconic color for the ME1, makeena blue (without the burst) would look killer!

Preach it brutha!!! And the best part, that is how it looked when I got it. I think it's faded a bit since I've had it, but it had already been run through the washer a number of times to get that broken in look thanks to Markie. There are even areas where you can practically see the natural wood grain. Honestly I can't really imagine changing the color of it. (And no, I haven't seen the movie. Checking Netflix now)

See what I mean!
i-WHCThxJ-XL.jpg

Sorry for the quality of this shot, major cropping going on here. I have no idea if this is from fading or what, but I love the look personally. Both the pic above and this close-up were taken before I started glossing it myself. There are bits of natural wood that shows through in various locations on the top, with the upper horn being the most prevalent. I seriously love how it has aged.

i-k3sQndW.jpg

Peace absolutely :D - so hard to convey emotion on here sometimes - you took it in the spirit intended, that's one time I pulled it off! LOL!! ;)

That is in the top few PRSi I've seen from the "Natural Beauty" stand point...Right up there with the likes of MA-Pete's "Glacier Blue" Ted - the Wood peaking through is like the tan legs of hot chick in her faded ripped jeans! :D

So if I understand - the "gloss" is to stabilize her as is? At first I thought you were talking RE-STAIN... Do they have a UV filter in the clear coat so you could preserve her "as is" from a fade standpoint?

edit: http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Harold_Kumar_Go_to_White_Castle/70000091?locale=en-US

Last edited:
You guys are killing me!!! I have to admit I've been very intrigued by the Charcoal finish lately. I hadn't really thought about changing things up entirely.

Shawn - How much (approx) are we talking for a complete refinish? PM me please if you prefer. Not sure if you can say either way, but would it be possible for it to have the same vibe with Charcoal? I should point out that the top on this one is VERY light in color. See below.

i-k7vVCHF-XL.jpg

Photo by Markie

I love FBJ and that was always my favorite colour until I saw a REALLY washed out one. Then it was no longer FBJ too me as there was hardly any blue left, so I'd have a refin for sure.

Peace absolutely :D - so hard to convey emotion on here sometimes - you took it in the spirit intended, that's one time I pulled it off! LOL!! ;)

That is in the top few PRSi I've seen from the "Natural Beauty" stand point...Right up there with the likes of MA-Pete's "Glacier Blue" Ted - the Wood peaking through is like the tan legs of hot chick in her faded ripped jeans! :D

So if I understand - the "gloss" is to stabilize her as is? At first I thought you were talking RE-STAIN... Do they have a UV filter in the clear coat so you could preserve her "as is" from a fade standpoint?
Thanks bro, I truly love the way it has aged. Honestly the only reason I'm going through with this is that I much prefer the glossy look. If doing so would somehow stop or slow down the fade I'd be very pleased. Maybe I could ask them to mix sunscreen with the clear nitro before adding it.

I LOVE faded blue jean but I have not seen a new one to match the original ones, they are good but different now. The blue is darker and less faded. I say leave it that color that it has faded to, it is beautiful.

Mine is below and has not faded at all yet and is to me the prototypical FBJ shade and ME color. I hope when mine fades it does so as well as yours has.

IMG_1131.jpg
i-kXSdnXT-XL.jpg

Wow, the difference is staggering. I wouldn't even think they were the same finish. That is of course comparing your new FBJ to an old faded FBJ. Your top appears to be on the lighter side as well. How color accurate is your photo? Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
Back