To PRS or to MusicMan? dilemma!

cags12

I know we all are PRS fans but sometimes it is allow to see other places out of PRSland, right?.

I am in a big dilemma between getting a PRS DW CE24 or a EBMM Majesty 7 Strings. Both are in the same price range and while I love PRS the Majesty seems like a monster guitar with multiple nice features (Piezo, Boost, LoZ, SS frets). However the DW CE24 is a limited edition and I have been looking for a while for maple board. Unfortunately I can only get one so what to do?

Looks aside ()people either hate or love the Majesty design, what is your take?

BTW. I already have a PRS C24 Floyd WL and I'm looking to get rid of a 7Strings Schecter and be replaced by the next purchase.

I like the looks of the Majesty just fine, but the only feature that appeals to me is the 7 strings. I’m just not very interested in more electronic complexity in a guitar. That’s a personal thing though and if you like that stuff go for it - assuming you like having a 7 string, since you’re giving up the one you have.

The DW is a really nice guitar, but might not give you much you don’t have in the Floyd WL.

You know, if PRS didn’t exist I think I’d probably be rocking a Music Man, they’re a bit small feeling but excellently designed and made.

I’d still go for the DWCE though, that’s a rad looking guitar.

It’s really hard not to comment on those Majesty guitars looks though...

Music Man makes great stuff!! Definitely my favorite apart from PRS. From the Cutlass to all of the great the Signature guitars they make - they seriously rock!

PRS and Music Man can coexist nicely, as they are very different brands with different goals and they make very different guitars from each other. Plus, they are the 2 best made guitars today, with Suhr along for that ride in 3rd.

It's all personal preference. You can't get more different between those 2 guitars. The CE will be more traditionally made and the Majesty was pretty much designed by Martians, but that Majesty sure does sound very very smooth and creamy. Plus you get boost and a piezo. The piezo is a huge difference but what good is piezo really on a 7 string guitar? You won't be able to do open strumming. The only usable pickup config on a Majesty is full bridge and full neck. In between is very very lacking with those pickups. Ideally, you'd just bite the bullet and grab both, because both are worth being added to the arsenal.

I get this. I've had a few EBMM guitars over the years. EVH, JP6, JPX, Luke III, and Monarchy 6. I liked them all. The neck on the EVH was one of my favs. The Luke was a little too small, neck wise. I really like the Monarchy. Fun, ripping guitar. If you're looking at the 7 vs. the DW it's not really a fair comparison. Get the 7 since you already have the other bases covered.

Last edited:
Looks aside, I’m not a fan of neck-throughs. But I’m also not a metal player, and I realize that different folks need varieties I don’t care for.

On the other hand, I’d get the PRS. Because I’m that guy who’s all PRS.

I had a really sweet JP6 with a rosewood neck and I currently have the DW CE. Both guitars have excellent build quality and playability but the JP6 neck was just too thin for me and I didn't utilize the piezo enough to make it worth it.

Obviously if you're set on a 7 string than the CE is out but other than that it's really just an individual decision on what features are most important to you. I will say I like the pickups in the CE way more than the ones that were in the JP6 though.

Speaking of 7 strings, where the heck is the core 7 string run from PRS? He's done every single type of guitar now, except for that.

I had a JP7 for about 18 months and it was a great guitar...my only gripe is all the electronics...the back of the guitar is so full of stuff, just got a bit overwhelming and I didn't use it to it's potential. That being said, the new Waring looks pretty sweet and although Music Man JP models are fantastic guitars, much prefer all my PRS's. If you need a 7 string, then the choice is easy...if not, gonna be a tough one!!! Good Luck!

I have the sterling version of the Majesty, and it's a really sweet guitar. Personally, I'm not a fan of the CE's, so my vote would be to get the Majesty. But as someone else pointed out, they feel really small. JP must be tiny! The neck gives you the most upper fret access of any guitar I've ever played, it could easily reach 28 frets (if you wanted that many) instead of just the 24...

Thank you all for your input.

Before the DW CE was announced, I was aiming towards the Majesty to cover other grounds than my CU24 Floyd. But now my plans were disturbed. The fact it is a limited edition, maple board, and I have one more week to decide; has put me on this position. In reality, as others have pointed out the 7 string would make more sense, but man that CE is one of a kind and who knows when we will see something similar again. I surely have a tough weekend for deliberations.

I get that problem.
Try this: flip a coin. If you are really disappointed with what the result says it means you want the other one more - so ignore the toss and go with what you want.
Sometimes we have to play tricks on ourselves to find the truth.
Thank you all for your input.

Before the DW CE was announced, I was aiming towards the Majesty to cover other grounds than my CU24 Floyd. But now my plans were disturbed. The fact it is a limited edition, maple board, and I have one more week to decide; has put me on this position. In reality, as others have pointed out the 7 string would make more sense, but man that CE is one of a kind and who knows when we will see something similar again. I surely have a tough weekend for deliberations.

The maple board is really cool ;)

tjz4CFi.jpg

There has to be a third option, that will allow you to purchase both. You do have 2 kidneys.....:eek:

I can sense your indecision. In your first post, it seemed that you clearly were leaning towards the MM. Then you pointed out how you’ve really been wanting that particular PRS.

I would get the PRS, as it seems more difficult to find. Then, only after you sell the other 7-string, get the MM. Problem solved! :cool:

The hollow birds on this model step it up a notch compared to the other CE.
Yeah, that is one of the features of this one that makes it so unique at CE price level. The hollow birds are the ones I like the most.

There has to be a third option, that will allow you to purchase both. You do have 2 kidneys.....:eek:

I can sense your indecision. In your first post, it seemed that you clearly were leaning towards the MM. Then you pointed out how you’ve really been wanting that particular PRS.

I would get the PRS, as it seems more difficult to find. Then, only after you sell the other 7-string, get the MM. Problem solved! :cool:

I think that is the way to go really, thanks. The MM will still be there for long time, the PRS only for one more week. Also, selling this Schecter is proven to be tough and I'd want to have only one 7 strings at a given time.

On thing about the MM is that since January it has increased price $200, if it keeps going up it will go far from my comfort zone. I do not think I can buy another + $3k guitar after my WL.

BTW. here is a few picture of it, I never posted the NGD pics. My phone camera is crap and does not make justice to the guitar.

j1yiNz2O0Ns9NfInn2etrIY-6DuEeWxFA6BmuhHcDsFlPhy707qG6rYmTOhI3rdxK_jmKEUi2L9NXR18U_xFpDwdV_IXr5CYymF2e9rWkb6-wuJPgIgh9vqzwZJeK9mX7eY7vJcqfo1319B8CrJWOXwwG7UZCNUnaq6D-IUSAgyudcYUYR6EJLqnoMLDePKKPgDxZgUuKE8mT2iYGObovh6D1PyCKYAv-mhYDdElywBwflSZjHBXwV5-JhG-6BpzES2JOYnfriZK42hUdhqAUdatufg2QMXmV4ST0qQtQ-0DNiPfXKvXDknpoAkEtwX3CO2efc2KoxfxC_GaLS7ztQ_v0YK6L1M8t1LdSw194WsF_ma8v_ksSZdzBohpsTM_vtUiq0XbHOtqRWa4L1VlYaTumUhIDkfbKNJkr3IPve_yJp_b_IfTFO8lvxCegCLIq7_FM0V5-MlP9YS3kfeUWPoDInleslytaMrrVpYu4J5s9HAWWDzbNS6YrbrmT5E8h-4RliqDqoGfF0Y9HcaJqnnok7jM-zTcJV5xi4C0SYYZaDqyihoOcdfl6NbreEbQInkv4eewUI4SlmsTdFMtDVBuHYh9hUmQfqQuxGx7gVrNSACvHC18Lu-z0ilg7_3Zor0nCKD911jIgn9SXadw7qLHc5zQlKwSGg=w894-h671-no

t9vRZgtMlDR-AGa5nea9w-f1WUWxeXwDbNSuL4dw-spKvUKIG06Vk7zd5r3twCKCHUZbSCtZM5qPvHXQ3z1w4OZ-K8Cfw0MtQjiZQAfXWJValmuFTcnm0_OwW1scE7iXotw-eNvDVWcnbl4Rapk3qdiaI2pzpqOJLOTfJ6XRxeTIe31XC2XnId49QkWZb5P2rdX4ad8zjWBxvFnrO8j9qY3oPnz59w2bx76CkqDxhELzpKt98mI2FNQDuawCPb_b8WTDfVIuF31c3txIQWu9EGfQVX8LHbCCDeWUjmox6yTOH-UK_G6UWhewjIXHkB5TjIVAAxD6sfkXVsvSVHnrkw9BYZ1_bbk2-SgW075J9QaC5Yi8SH8gG4KXOY9aq57JwANowbxRdUC-Qpmx74Krh-ENezyLn_M2UwyomN5RVQ1jCnObFjn9BsOqsX8tJWr3uWWsfqys9K6JFOfKrYExNtxQu4Aw8LfoM3_YiduwIcGsHU2hUz9aN3-neOiBrUhSJNQ0xeizWwzvDUnsswvf0WyddBkaRZSlELLe7aCV8iyPpqb8H2ucgW4VsrvBMB2OVgfARGLBRR8PyvcGK-VMEdHnU4Ia_ZsM9Z2gqAga=w894-h671-no

fEoVqYckRMKIg5YhzvhXY4gxm48kdGuvBowEWhpT3kLIzT88odml2kjrOe0qbcenwOUoVM1gPsOsbeiWlyunjo3fgynLdrQfho-GiKmojm5bTrA8yrhPDnI8ZoDJpYkjgcvVqyTLtrpPrFAt27CGEOFVzTvAj5bwE-YaEDEen8pOUF99SsCCQfz7n7RFUZwBPSu3GIuQYTBIxWktHCZ2RTCULYToQcmh45ruYIlTQ4GLyQMNVFi0VhUkr4bD4zQP_vvbwNpKIcyNx5JdGOf8WKee1pemxdAVCibFU0NKKhAQN_sKBjxZNAVeHxz6gnpEfL9bHUtFjNg-8AW4-gBCgSuqxi2_RT1U1BHTh-pro_nKN_EgHcDnlkRNv3N4RWLGi5jUwQ4YZeDSJKRCZCpOf1e0fFfFGwjXMJJR7dqj3FiJGCydzxcghiWOuv_9GnfLKlCq_Uh-WH7aFCgA4iXkUnp4e5ijjZ5UKz2Jp8CoP2uYzz8vgndpkjEP8qGbBMkl_64xdbH2GkC7y13GUMsABOpiMcZ4Dy3hWhWaCJSJd0jscGyDaTEaa3PmOeY3GqRzJ6vr4lK7w1rTSUXMPpiiqH3TdVSF1cOczmGN0qIj=w503-h670-no

5CRHLSdXLHMhs3BjS7EcZoF6lrWFVlGmCyL3yJ8hyf_vOIpD4rhQoVrWSJr8F489bWjh1knzCXELoFZL4kcgG19VagvtS791s9aYEhKcujcVTXWj_Xr4Uy_GEZpX1a3tb-WO0us06Zke01BKDi2xijN_wEJu_qR-KNRU-5es_lJ488zvTGwx2MYUsAVzSote3jvsbS8s5_hcm0ME1omkcvXgV0ysMpBeUwVU-2sVutVNjPMTn5gU3Tu4MjFFsp4wE9-b4FQKGG9W03QlKwsQtjbdlvJ2OqVCZMLEBA6dXIbEazfjJXsT0nCx2V8djYpNA5QBMWQuBRMqsSui9Un443Vq3V-nSLSj0MPNMpkA-yokXJH411pAbOeEthxz35icUYG8ztVzIULAVoDwaHBjl3yE2X_WjhbWY2B4Sq56Ry5DEE6sb4az0xYRk2h-bl3utGwniKH9fB6UwsSXSyc-ci7TxjzuK-b50sxgX48NMQSCsaJZmb6tNaythLF2c7G-3jC8mpl5Ay-oILwu40IvAuj9dtY2xX3TgK5lCtdSu-BsGq1UkUXNnCBVbfsNnkYjXxOJQw8pzpd7K_uKPHt-9IKhsVGwx5kmEk6f9JX-=w503-h670-no

Es9wmhFT6slaCvoz2

Back