To Mark Holcomb, or not to Mark Holcomb...?

I wish it had a pattern neck option. Either pattern of pattern regular and I would already have had a deposit down on one. Can't imagine it is that big a deal to push a button to reprogram the neck carver for a different carve? But maybe. It is an I am naive. Either way I want one. That stop tail bridge and ebony and satin......sexy.

PRS uploaded a 30th anniversary testimony from Emil which I thought echoed what we discussed earlier in the thread

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt the kids who listen to Mark Holcomb or many of their other nu metal artists can even afford their products (outside of the SE range).

I'll be 40 in May and have been listening to the two new Periphery albums (Juggernaut Alpha and Omega) in a constant loop since they dropped, and I can certainly afford this model but I stifle my GAS with the thinking (perhaps wrongly) that I don't play enough anymore to justify dropping a lot on non-SEs.

I believe when you said "nu-metal" (Korn?) the term you were reaching for was "djent." Periphery's become a bit less djent (e.g. Meshuggah) - the new discs are pretty proggy and jazzy. I come at them as a Porcupine Tree fan, not an Avenged Sevenfold one.

I think maybe metal fans (or this band) may not be who you think they are. ;)

I, for one, am trying to do my part. Mark Holcomb noticed, but not PRS yet...

ScreenShot2015-02-18at102807AM_zpsad8d93eb.png

Haha! What's up? Been a long time. Congrats on your purchase. I'm waiting on a artist package Tremonti myself. Last I heard was 2/20! ;)

Haha thought that was you. Only person I could imagine finding on a guitar forum who knows X-Cell. Yeah long time man! Hope all is well. I saw about your Tremonti, congrats on that! It's funny when I read your old post about ordering the Tremonti and seeing you post about shipping dates I thought to myself "Does Brian ever not have issues with his guitar orders?" Seems like either someones getting your order wrong or massive delays in shipping. Lol.

Stoked to finally get to own a PRS. It's been a long time coming.

Last edited:
Haha thought that was you. Only person I could imagine finding on a guitar forum who knows X-Cell. Yeah long time man! Hope all is well. I saw about your Tremonti, congrats on that! It's funny when I read your old post about ordering the Tremonti and seeing you post about shipping dates I thought to myself "Does Brian ever not have issues with his guitar orders?" Seems like either someones getting your order wrong or massive delays in shipping. Lol.

Stoked to finally get to own a PRS. It's been a long time coming.

All is good man. Busy with the "Dad" thing, but all is good. How have you been?

Hahaha, yeah. My luck with guitar deliveries is not good at all. Maybe PRS will be different!

Congrats again, these Holcombs look like really badass guitars. My friend John ordered one also. Looking forward to checking it out in person.

All is good man. Busy with the "Dad" thing, but all is good. How have you been?

Hahaha, yeah. My luck with guitar deliveries is not good at all. Maybe PRS will be different!

Congrats again, these Holcombs look like really badass guitars. My friend John ordered one also. Looking forward to checking it out in person.

holy crap, Congrats man! I just saw that on your FB page. I had no idea you're married with kids now, that's awesome news! I'm doing good, same here with me playing "dad" hahaha. now have a 13 year old step-son.

Yeah, I've always loved PRS guitars and have wanted one but when I heard the specs on this one and saw there was a limited ordering window I knew it was time. Main points of interest being the 25.5" scale for 24 frets, the flatter radius and the crisper sounding SD PUPS. But mostly the longer scale...I need as much space as I can get for these sausage fingers! lol. and the full satin finish is nice although I wish they did the matched headstock like on the Dustie Waring model. Really love the way that looks but you won't hear me complaining!

Just curious, what made you go with the Tremonti?

holy crap, Congrats man! I just saw that on your FB page. I had no idea you're married with kids now, that's awesome news! I'm doing good, same here with me playing "dad" hahaha. now have a 13 year old step-son.

Yeah, I've always loved PRS guitars and have wanted one but when I heard the specs on this one and saw there was a limited ordering window I knew it was time. Main points of interest being the 25.5" scale for 24 frets, the flatter radius and the crisper sounding SD PUPS. But mostly the longer scale...I need as much space as I can get for these sausage fingers! lol. and the full satin finish is nice although I wish they did the matched headstock like on the Dustie Waring model. Really love the way that looks but you won't hear me complaining!

Just curious, what made you go with the Tremonti?

Thanks! Yeah, my step-son is 13 also. Teenagers... *shaking head* lol.

The Tremonti was kind of by happy accident. I had purchased a Gibson LP Silverburst about 2 years ago cause I really wanted a singlecut style guitar after playing my Dads LP a lot. Seemed to me that having the extra wood where a doublecut away would be added more low end focus. Since I usually play in a drop tuning that was a welcome addition. Anyway, after getting the LP and it basically playing like a turd and needing new pickups badly (which I didn't feel like investing a couple hundred more in it at that point) I unloaded it.

I had been talking with Dave and he mentioned his buddy was selling a Tremonti and asked if I wanted to check it out. He brought it by and that was pretty much it. Neck shape was perfect for how I like to play, sounded very focused and resonant, and overall it just felt like guitars I was used to. After a little digging on the PRS site and finding that an ebony fretboard was now an option with the AP I had to do it.

Thanks! Yeah, my step-son is 13 also. Teenagers... *shaking head* lol.

The Tremonti was kind of by happy accident. I had purchased a Gibson LP Silverburst about 2 years ago cause I really wanted a singlecut style guitar after playing my Dads LP a lot. Seemed to me that having the extra wood where a doublecut away would be added more low end focus. Since I usually play in a drop tuning that was a welcome addition. Anyway, after getting the LP and it basically playing like a turd and needing new pickups badly (which I didn't feel like investing a couple hundred more in it at that point) I unloaded it.

I had been talking with Dave and he mentioned his buddy was selling a Tremonti and asked if I wanted to check it out. He brought it by and that was pretty much it. Neck shape was perfect for how I like to play, sounded very focused and resonant, and overall it just felt like guitars I was used to. After a little digging on the PRS site and finding that an ebony fretboard was now an option with the AP I had to do it.

Right on. Yeah, I've always liked the way LPs look but never been big into the way a lot of the LPs play, at least the ones I've played. If I was gonna get something with a single cut I'd get a Tremonti too. What else are you rocking right now?

I came into this thread hoping to find some reasons NOT to order one these Holcomb's.

It may be a case of confirmation bias but I am only seeing reasons I SHOULD place my order.

Yup, I've owned 4 Carvins trying to capture the feel, sound and that indescribable "it" that PRS guitars have. All 4 wound up on FeeBay to fund more PRS GAS. If I'd never owned a PRS I'd probably still have sold those Carvins, they felt like diet versions of the real thing baby. :prslogo:

I'm definitely going to get a Holcomb Sig. and/or Dustie Waring Sig.

Last edited:
Back