To: John Mayer. Why can't we get a Silver Sky in a Mary Kaye finish?

Bluesverb

Currently in a long term relationship with myself!
I have a NAMM CU24 in a Mary Kay finish. Love it. Grant you, PRS has the best finishes EVER. I also agree with John about sunburst guitars. However, I would still love to see the Mary Kay finish / White blond finish.
BTW - I also have a Mary KayCE-24 from 2006??? It is in the "Vault"

image41_zps9l4ebph5.jpg

image11_zps1w5eymgt.jpg

I’m not John but I have to agree with you it’s a great finish! Let’s go beyond the Silver Sky.... I want to see it available on the MEV also ;)

John wants modern ‘Tesla’ colors. And Mary Kay doesn’t go so well with alder, so that’s another big change.

It’ll also never happen but I’d like Daphne or Sonic Blue. And non-plastic tuner buttons. In the end though, I really forget about what I wish it had when I pick it up and play it.

Couldn’t agree more, but I’d like to see that finish, or any trans-white finish on more PRS. Look up the PRS White Tiger finish. My dream guitars....

I'm no luthier/guitar painter, but I would think re-finishing a Silver Sky in whatever color you wanted would be one of the easiest models to do: take off strings and neck, disassemble jack assembly, remove pickguard, remove strap buttons, remove trem springs & spring plate, remove trem bridge, and tada?

Someone send @sergiodeblanc a blue one, he'll get it done in pink (or Louis Vuitton) in no time!

Also, how is Mary Kay pink different from Grandma Hannon Pink? Is the latter a deeper/darker shade? Hard to tell from the photos.

I'm no luthier/guitar painter, but I would think re-finishing a Silver Sky in whatever color you wanted would be one of the easiest models to do: take off strings and neck, disassemble jack assembly, remove pickguard, remove strap buttons, remove trem springs & spring plate, remove trem bridge, and tada?

Someone send @sergiodeblanc a blue one, he'll get it done in pink (or Louis Vuitton) in no time!

Also, how is Mary Kay pink different from Grandma Hannon Pink? Is the latter a deeper/darker shade? Hard to tell from the photos.

Mary Kaye is a see through blonde, not pink.

As far as Alder goes, I agree that Ash is better than Alder for see through finishes. However, many Silver Sky's bodies have 3 pieces of Alder out there, which in general wouldn't be good for any see through finish per say.

I hate 3 piece bodies. BLAH. I have 2 out of 7 Swamp Ash guitars that have a 3 piece bodies to include a wood library with a flame maple top. I eventually will trade the 1 SAS and keep the wood library, as I cannot stand the look of 3 piece bodies. That said, the wood library CU24 I bought 4-5 years ago, was really hard to tell via the pictures. I was upset to say the least when I opened up he case as the dealer never advertised it as a 3 piece back. Back then, they were $4000 out the door and to have a body made out of 5 pieces of wood was not cool. I did actually talk to Paul about it, and he said that it was his call to make the wood library guitars, with swamp ash backs, with 3 pieces of wood. Neither one of us was thrilled about the conversation. However, I own around 45 PRS guitars and I would think that he would listen to my concerns. Even though PRS usually does a fantastic job aligning the grain of the wood, I believe it is best if dealers disclose this up front. As for my 2 cents on the 3 pieces, I suppose he did this as to not to encroach on the Private Stock guitars? Ironically, I remember in the late 80s-90s, when Paul would make comments about the 70's strats and pauls being made out of many pieces of wood to save money (bad guitars/pancake guitars) while PRS guitars had one piece backs. Dave's guitar advertises their guitars with a 3 piece back, if it is made like that of course. I switched dealers and now love doing business with them.

Mary Kaye is a see through blonde, not pink.
GM / General Motors Mary Kay Pink / #f3dde7 Hex Color Code
The hexadecimal color code #f3dde7 is a very light shade of pink. In the RGB color model #f3dde7 is comprised of 95.29% red, 86.67% green and 90.59% blue. In the HSL color space #f3dde7 has a hue of 333° (degrees), 48% saturation and 91% lightness. This color has an approximate wavelength of 506.11 nm.

https://encycolorpedia.com/f3dde7

And it sure looks like a light pink to me.

US-Cadillac-XT6-2020-KO_mid.jpg

I'd assumed that PRS's version (of whatever color that guitar pictured above) was trying for the color, and the lighting can make it look different.

:shrug:

GM / General Motors Mary Kay Pink / #f3dde7 Hex Color Code
The hexadecimal color code #f3dde7 is a very light shade of pink. In the RGB color model #f3dde7 is comprised of 95.29% red, 86.67% green and 90.59% blue. In the HSL color space #f3dde7 has a hue of 333° (degrees), 48% saturation and 91% lightness. This color has an approximate wavelength of 506.11 nm.

https://encycolorpedia.com/f3dde7

And it sure looks like a light pink to me.

US-Cadillac-XT6-2020-KO_mid.jpg

I'd assumed that PRS's version (of whatever color that guitar pictured above) was trying for the color, and the lighting can make it look different.

:shrug:
Similar name, different person.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Kaye

Mary Kaye was a musician. Mary Kay sold cosmetics. Different people...

Mary Kaye blonde = Fender = a pretty awesome classic color for a Stratocaster
Mary Kay pink = Mary Kay Cosmetics = one of the worst things to happen to Cadillac, short of the landau roof

OK, well the OP uses one spelling in the title, and the other in the first post, so wasn't sure.

And frankly, I still can't tell whether that guitar pictured in the first post is natural or very light pink, there isn't enough WB info to work with. Plus, maple can have a mild pink hue to it.

Back