To core, or not to core?

You need 24 frets of claaaaassic PRS.

The 24-08 looks siiiiick. It looks extremely versatile. For metal, I think it would be more than ideal.

The Santana is the only PRS that I feel looks good with colors other than brown, orange, yellow. (Just my humble opinion) If I ever get one I'm thinking I'd go purple. I still have eyes for bodia's bruise burst.

One further mention, and then I'll shut up......Forum Brother Pricing!

Right on man, very much appreciated! I may have to beg for a pic or two.

You need 24 frets of claaaaassic PRS.

The 24-08 looks siiiiick. It looks extremely versatile. For metal, I think it would be more than ideal.

No doubt. It has a ton of tonal options that keep it a solid contender, and perhaps my most logical option overall. Beyond my need to djent a bit I spend a lot of time trying to get my jazz legs back these days, and noodling around in fusion territory. Some of those pickup combinations nail the edgier stuff and make for a nice recording complement to the 594 for other material.

While I'd prefer 24 frets I could hang with 22 and be happy.

My flowchart is super basic... trem > comfy neck > short scale if possible > rosewood neck if possible > everything else

I still have eyes for bodia's bruise burst.

Love at first sight. That finish is a killer.

(edited for typos)

Last edited:
M
Just go buy a guitar. Eventually you'll start to have one of everything anyway. ;)

EXACTLY...what Sergio said!

Haha, that's what I'm trying to avoid! I did a healthy stretch in music retail and ended up accumulating an inventory of my own. Ten since flew the coop in all and I'm down to three total. One more will do me, honestly. (Yeah, yeah. That's what they all say.)

Give it up bro, resistance is an exercise in futility...well, it is...o_O

I still have eyes for bodia's bruise burst.

My boy has a few guitars I covet... but yeah, that bruise burst sounds rad.

To think I was trying to sell it. Getting the back refinished in white and installing the Narrowfileds was the best thing that could have happened to that guitar.

Right on man, very much appreciated! I may have to beg for a pic or two.

Here's a couple, or three.

pgBj7Oq.jpg

LrUUv6D.jpg

Pg7WQup.jpg

Definitely. To the Reverb-mobile!
We need an official counter of every time a thread results in someone going to eBay/CL/Reverb. It would roll over faster than that old McDonalds “XX million sold” sign that used to exist. Eventually, they changed it to “billions and billions sold”. Or change the URL here to GASmasters.com. Btw, carefully type that. And don’t google it. :eek:

We need an official counter of every time a thread results in someone going to eBay/CL/Reverb. It would roll over faster than that old McDonalds “XX million sold” sign that used to exist. Eventually, they changed it to “billions and billions sold”. Or change the URL here to GASmasters.com. Btw, carefully type that. And don’t google it. :eek:

I don't even want to know how much bandwidth I've gone through in the last 72 hours...

Update time...

To resolve the question posed in the thread title, I'm delighted to report that the answer is a resounding: "to core". A couple solid hours spent test-driving took me back to the consistent result every time. I do need a Custom 24. Thusly, a NGD should be imminent.

Once again, thanks to everyone who chimed in, I can't emphasize how helpful all the input was. It's a luxury to be able to discuss this sort of thing and get fresh eyes scrutinizing your ideas from the outside. Bomb!

Stuff I learned today:

-The Guitar Store is purely awesome.
- I can indeed comfortably play pattern regular, and love it.
- I can't play pattern thin no matter what. Even during blind testing it got uncomfortable very quickly.
- Despite what my ears told me on two prior occasions, I now really like 57/08s.
- Got to demo a V30 loaded PRS 2x12 cab for the first time (grr, in the shuffle I didn't get to note the model). Great response!
- While vastly beyond my chops or pay grade, that PS ToL McCarty is now the single most exquisite instrument I've ever played. Wow.

More to come.

Last edited:
Flux, it looks like you and I have very similar taste in guitars. I ended up with a 2013 CU24 with the 57/08 combo and pattern neck and it is a dream to play, and it sounds incredible. While I prefer the wide-fat profile on my HBII, pattern is easy to play. I also have a strong dislike for the pattern thin neck, and I have a couple of guitars with thinner necks. That profile just doesn't work for me. The CU24 is a great all around guitar, it can do everything you can throw at it. I especially like the single coil tones accessible via the 5 way switch. I'd love a 24-08, but I'm leaning towards a 408 for something a little different down the road.

I also agree with veinbuster - buy what you can afford. I'm no where near the same level of playing as the people I listen to, and never will be, but it doesn't mean I (we) can't enjoy the hard work we've put into life and have nice things.

Great choice! If you're like me, the CU24 will become your favorite. I love my others, but the CU24 is my voice.

Update time...
I really like the folks at TGS - great guys and they know their stuff. Glad to hear you found one that works for you!

Glad you liked "my" guitar - I still weep over the trade in, but my back is happier. The rest of me will be happier when my Build is done!

I had a Stealth 2x12 cab with V30s for a while - great cab, just too much and overkill for my needs. The PRS V30 doesn't have the harshness most of them have.

Funny about the pickups - I love 57/08s, but not in the first guitar I tried with them. I had a C24 with 59/09s and I found them too shrill for my taste and I stayed away from them for a long time. Now thanks to Steve's ME SCT I'm back to being a fan again! Wonder if it's just that certain wood and spec combos fit different pickups better or simply my ears have changed (again?).

To resolve the question posed in the thread title, I'm delighted to report that the answer is a resounding: "to core". A couple solid hours spent test-driving took me back to the consistent result every time. I do need a Custom 24. Thusly, a NGD should be imminent.

Once again, thanks to everyone who chimed in, I can't emphasize how helpful all the input was. It's a luxury to be able to discuss this sort of thing and get fresh eyes scrutinizing your ideas from the outside. Bomb!

Stuff I learned today:

- I can't play pattern thin no matter what. Even during blind testing it got uncomfortable very quickly.
- Despite what my ears told me on two prior occasions, I now really like 57/08s.
- Got to demo a V30 loaded PRS 2x12 cab for the first time (grr, in the shuffle I didn't get to note the model). Great response!
- While vastly beyond my chops or pay grade, that PS ToL McCarty is now the single most exquisite instrument I've ever played. Wow.

More to come.

Update time...

Stuff I learned today:

More to come.
Did you check out the black with teal binding Custom 24 while you were there, Flux? Man, that one looked sweet on their website. Pattern thin, though.

Kinda related, Uk guitarist new issue today has big piece on the custom 24.08 and how it differs in switching, plus feature from session guy whom put a set of mules and 3 way with push pull into cu24, and some more prs content on their product lines

Back