To change it or not...

hippietim

Not a new user...
DSC00512.jpg

This guitar is one of the Private Stock DGTs with a pernambuco neck. I love the guitar but I'm not a fan of pimp-daddy gold hardware. I have a pair of DGT pickups that the PTC put in another guitar for me that I could put in this. And once the PTC gets finished with one of my guitars I will have an extra nickel bridge. So I'm only a set of tuners and some screws away from having all the hardware I need.

Who thinks I'm nuts to change the hardware on this guitar?

I also think it looks particularly odd with the clear knobs - it seems like amber knobs would have been better with gold.

I think you could kick that beauty down a flight of stairs and it would still look like a million bucks. So I say do it if that's what makes you happy. It's not like you can't reverse the mod if you don't like the end result.

And if you keep the gold... amber knobs.

I have never been a fan of gold hardware either. I would want to switch it if it where mine. Stunning guitar too. That picture really shows off the cool factor of that color.

I like the gold with the red; offsets the color nicely and brings out the warmer tones in the background.

But hey, here's my feeling: It's a pimp-daddy private stock guitar with a private stock top and all the trimmings. Different hardware isn't going to change that vibe. I'd leave it.

Seriously, what does putting different color pickups and bridge do really? It's just a color.

But it's your guitar! So whatever floats your boat, cool!

Last edited:
I think it looks fantastic as it is. Gold isn't really my first choice on most guitars but that one Ooooozes class... may be because it is :)

Gold and red(dish) is a good combo.If it sounds good keep it as it is.Looks killer!Personally i really dig those knobs.

I'm not a fan of gold hardware, I'd change it - especially since you'll have the parts. If not, change the knobs to amber.

I'm curious what attracted you to the guitar in the first place? I don't even want to think of how many times I've acquired a guitar and then start changing things only to end up letting the guitar go. Apparently for me it seems I liked it for what it was and then OCD/GAS starts to whisper in my head. I guessing not everyone has this problem but I do.

Personally at least in the photo the guitar looks great with the gold hardware. The clear knobs maybe. The gold/reddish combination has a warm feeling in the picture. The greatest this about hardware is it's generally easily changeable and if you have the pieces already what do you have to loose.

I'm curious what attracted you to the guitar in the first place?

I think it looks awesome - it sounds and plays great. Just not a fan of gold hardware or the clear knobs with the gold. I knew this going into it of course. I also knew it would be relatively cheap to correct (compared to the cost of the guitar).

Hahaha... I read the thread title, "To Change it or not", and looked at the guitar and thought, "I'd change out the gold hardware first!" Then I read the post and sure enough. There have been very, VERY few guitars I've seen where gold hardware has had any place. In this case, I think it clashes with the nickel colored strings and frets, and the inlay color doesn't look good with gold either.

Same is true for black hardware, though Hans's 305 in the PTC forum is one of the few where I thought it was pretty slick looking.

I think red is one of the few colors that gold hardware works well with. And I think that is the about the prettiest DGT on the planet!

Back