To Buy or Not to Buy

Do I buy a Sienna Vela?

• Yes

Votes: 18 85.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

vashondan

I've been ruminating about buying a Vela for a while now and need to make a decision so that I can rest my weary mind. So, to buy, or not to buy? Help a guy make a decision!:confused:

Of course...any color...I'd go with Egyptian Gold myself.

Do you really think you are going to get a no from a bunch of addicted enablers?

I've been playing a satin Vela for a few weeks now. Such a fun guitar to play. It's not hard to love a Vela.

Just being the resident contrarian, I'd save a little more and get a core PRS..................but that's just me.;)

Sienna is not one of the colors shown on the product page (or the catalog if I recall). I wonder if that's just an oversight or the color is being phased out. For a short time, vintage mahogany wasn't shown and I thought that would increase the value of Velas in that color.

I almost went with Sienna but I didn't care for the color when I saw it in pictures with different lighting.. Same for Vintage Cherry - in some pictures, the red appeared too bright.

Mine is Vintage Mahogany, but you get the one that appeals to you color-wise.
This did it for me.
S2VelaBVM-large_zpsvrhq8iws.jpg

Sienna is not one of the colors shown on the product page (or the catalog if I recall). I wonder if that's just an oversight or the color is being phased out. For a short time, vintage mahogany wasn't shown and I thought that would increase the value of Velas in that color.

I almost went with Sienna but I didn't care for the color when I saw it in pictures with different lighting.. Same for Vintage Cherry - in some pictures, the red appeared too bright.

The Sienna shows up on the Sweetwater site. I'm not sue about the color as I really can't tell from pictures. The McCarty Sunburst looks good but I have a sunburst strat. There isn't a color that just slams me.

Markintime, that vintage mahogany appeals to me. Doesn't look the same on sweetwater. Looks almost black there. The picture you posted looks like a deep rich brown mahogany. I'll have to see if they have those in stock. Not all are in stock at SW (where I buy all my gear.) Have to wait till the end of March for another color other than black, sienna or sunburst.

And yes, I absolutely knew the kind of response I'd get and you guys came through for me. You're the best! :)

Do you really think you are going to get a no from a bunch of addicted enablers?

I've been playing a satin Vela for a few weeks now. Such a fun guitar to play. It's not hard to love a Vela.
Who's addicted? Who said I was addicted? I'm not addicted! I could stop any time I want to; I just don't want to... Why should I stop? I'm not hurting anyone... I don't have to listen to this! Why don't you meddle in someone else's life? ...

And OP, OF COURSE YOU SHOULD BUY A VELA!

(I wish I could buy a Vela)

The color of Vintage Mahogany is actually quite accurate. It is a very dark color, but in better light you can see the grain a bit better. It just has that kind of old furniture look, like some of my wife's inherited pieces. I do like the McCarty Tobacco Sunburst, though, and sometimes wish I had gotten that instead, but I have 2 other PRSi with that finish, so I guess I will have to wait and see if they release one of these in a Satin finish (OH YEAH!). This is crazy, isn't it?

And, yes, Sweetwater is where I got mine. They are great!

The Egyptian Gold I saw at the 30th Anniversary factory tour was jaw-dropping gorgeous. I had a bad case of the wants for it.

I'm sure there'll be another PRS in my future and a third color to nurture myself with. I've thought about a second one since I bought my first one. i'm sure the pattern will continue.

Just being the resident contrarian, I'd save a little more and get a core PRS..................but that's just me.;)

The thing is, there's no product analogue in the Core lineup - if he was talking about a Custom 24 or even a Mira or Starla (in which case used Core would be the option) I may be inclined to agree. But the Vela stands alone and is an exceptional instrument that can complement any PRS collection...

The thing is, there's no product analogue in the Core lineup - if he was talking about a Custom 24 or even a Mira or Starla (in which case used Core would be the option) I may be inclined to agree. But the Vela stands alone and is an exceptional instrument that can complement any PRS collection...
Understand it's just me, I bought a PRS before the SE line even came out.
Every time a new prs product line comes out I make it a point to check one out and have yet to really connect with an SE or S2 model, plus if I'm going to spend over a grand on an axe, I'm gonna go whole hog.
They all seem like real workhorses and by far superior to just about any guitars in that range but pick guards and bolt on necks are in the strat area of things and although Paul always has incorporated those sounds into his instruments to some degree, I've always considered PRS Gibson-like only better.

Again that's just me being the contrarian, there's always one of us.;)

Oh I noticed he picked one up, there you go, folks buy what they want regardless of naysayers like me, and that's how it should be. Enjoy your new piece Vashondan!!!

Last edited:
Back