To Bigsby or not?

g.wizz

Nabs
Hello boys and gals

I'm considering modding my Ted DC with one, now I don't know what model would fit or if that would diminish the sustain a whole lot. So will I be ruining a great model just for the sake of a little wobble?
Yay or Nay?

Your knowledge and expertise highly appreciated. Many thanks.

Gasp! would be my initial reaction. Vibramate makes non-drill units, but you have to have a two piece bridge. I'm not sure I would have the guts to do what it would take to get one mounted.

You could go this route though. No drilling holes. Looks like you'd likely need to shim it (which they have) due to neck angle.

https://stetsbar.com/prs.html

Um...no.

Sell guitar. Get new guitar with bigsby.

Bigsbys are terrible anyways. So, you'd ruin a guitar for an awful tremolo.

I'd say NO. I have a Gretsch Duo Jet with a Bigsby, and it's a cool guitar, but it doesn't have a ton of sustain. I had a Ted DC245 - and currently have an MC58. I think you'd destroy the vibe of the Ted by attaching a Bigsby. If you want the wobble, just get a guitar designed for it. It's a cool sound, but - in my opinion the PRS thing doesn't benefit from a Bigsby.

If it involves drilling into the wood i'd steer well clear. :eek:

Strangely, In 20 years of playing i've never felt the urge to go down the bigsby route.......

Another vote of NO! I have a Chet Atkins with a Bigsby, and it's cool because it belongs on a Gretsch, but as a trem it rather sucks.
I apply nut sauce any time I think of using the bar, and still anything more than light vibrato can put it out of tune.
I can't speak to its' effect on sustain, as I've not played a Chet without a Bigsby, although I'm sure it doesn't help, mine doesn't have great sustain, but it is a very cool guitar that has its' own thing nonetheless.

Why not try a Starla?

I'm very apprehensive of adding a Bigsby anyway, that's why I asked Yay or Nay
I saw John Bolinger in a recent demo using his triple pickup PRS that was fitted with a Bigsby and it looked and sounded cool.
Thanks brothers for the many sound advices. I will cherish my Ted the way that was created ie: AWESOME :)

Have an S2 Starla with bigsby. Love it. Could always get one, or an SE and modify that. At least is less substantial of an investment .

Nothing against Bigbsy's in particular, but I just don't think it suits a PRS. I would feel like disrupting everything Paul tried to put together in the guitar for me LOL

Another vote of NO! I have a Chet Atkins with a Bigsby, and it's cool because it belongs on a Gretsch, but as a trem it rather sucks.
I apply nut sauce any time I think of using the bar, and still anything more than light vibrato can put it out of tune.
I can't speak to its' effect on sustain, as I've not played a Chet without a Bigsby, although I'm sure it doesn't help, mine doesn't have great sustain, but it is a very cool guitar that has its' own thing nonetheless.

Why not try a Starla?

LIGHT VIBRATO PUTS OUT NUT SAUCE. NOTED.

For the purposes of balance, I say do the vibramate thing, OR if you REALLY want to; do it.

I think the bigsby is a great trem. It's not the same as a 6 point, obv, but you can end chord phrases with a lovely wobble. They really don't go out of tune that much - cos they don't pitch/dive that much.

I find it brings a whole new resonance to the guitar. A singlecut with a bigsby gets an airy, less focussed tone, maybe doesn't have quite the thump in the lows, but it could sound more pleasant to you in that respect.

Bear in mind you'd be best to mount a tune o matic where the stoptail is. This means getting the holes plugged, then redrilling to mount an ABR-1 which is the best sounding TOM. It's a lot of work, and the parts aren't cheap. (You won't want to skimp on the bigsby or bridge.)

Back