TM DC 245 Pick Up volume issue!!

Manny

This is my first Prs and im hoping that this isnt a dumb ?..
its a Ted McCarty DC 245 57/08 P/U with split coil.. In regular humbucker mode my neck P / U is quiet louder that my bridge P / U .. Same deal in split coil mode.. Is this normal for these p/U??

If adjusting the height can't fix it, you might check the readings with a multi-meter. Those early 57/08s are kind of all over the place output wise but generally the neck output should be less than the bridge.

With your specific issue I might raise the bridge/treble pickup height as high as it can go while still having string clearance with the notes fretted on the 22nd fret then raise or lower the neck pickup until the volume is balanced. Usually on Teds I set the neck pickup almost flush with the rings and then adjust the bridge pickup height to balance out volume with the neck wise.

Last edited:
With your specific issue I might raise the bridge as high as it can go while still having string clearance with the notes fretted on the 22nd fret then raise or lower the neck until the volume is balanced. Usually on Teds I set the neck pickup almost flush with the rings and then adjust the bridge to balance out volume wise.

Disclaimer: I am NOT an experienced guitar tech...

But this sounds like a setup disaster waiting to happen. It concerns me on several fronts - the first is that the farther out the 2 main bridge screws are, the more stress is put on the screw inserts in the body by the string tension due to the increased input lever arm.

The second is that raising the bridge to maximum sacrifices optimum string heights on the higher frets possibly to the point of unplayability.

The third is that the bridge pickup is going to end up crazy high as well.

I believe a better solution is to just adjust the neck pickup lower or, if you run out of room, replace it.

I just don't think monkeying with the bridge/string/fretboard distances is the way to go.

YMMV

i was referring to the bridge/treble pickup height not the bridge height. That would make zero sense given his issue. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Back