Tips on Buying Internationally

Hi all,

I’m considering buying a 509 with Artist Package upgrades from one of PRS’s International Distributors. I can’t seem to find exactly what I want domestically, and I think it would take a dealer special run or something like that to get it locally. That’s why I’m considering this one I found overseas.
Bottom line is I’m scared to death to pull the trigger haha. Is there anything I should be aware of? Any tips for how I should pay for it that gives me the most protection? Is the risk of something happening during transport worth it? Just looking for anyone with experience or words of advice.
It’s maple and swamp ash, so no wood issues I guess.
The distributor is Hi End Guitars in Indonesia, if I’m allowed to bring that up here. They’re on the PRS website.
Just nervous, thanks!

iv'e just checked them out and they seem legit. I would drop them an email asking if they accept paypal as you are fully covered should the worse happen. Having said that a credit card would do the same, it's just that Paypal is so much easier when it comes to opening a case and getting your money back.
Matty

I bought a similar wood combo guitar from the UK. I had it in two days. Had to pay import, but that wasn’t bad. International FedEx was what they used for shipping.

But, if you’re looking for maple and swamp ash, check out Brian’s WL509 run. He just posted picks of two that came in last week. Inhale one from the run he did last year, and love it. Maple board and neck, swamp ash body and maple cap.

Check out Brian’s post in the dealer section.

EDIT: Here’s the link

https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/wood-library-artist-509-run.30396/page-12

Hi all,

I’m considering buying a 509 with Artist Package upgrades from one of PRS’s International Distributors. I can’t seem to find exactly what I want domestically, and I think it would take a dealer special run or something like that to get it locally. That’s why I’m considering this one I found overseas.
Bottom line is I’m scared to death to pull the trigger haha. Is there anything I should be aware of? Any tips for how I should pay for it that gives me the most protection? Is the risk of something happening during transport worth it? Just looking for anyone with experience or words of advice.
It’s maple and swamp ash, so no wood issues I guess.
The distributor is Hi End Guitars in Indonesia, if I’m allowed to bring that up here. They’re on the PRS website.
Just nervous, thanks!

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I have already been in touch with Brian, his run is what fueled the GAS. Unfortunately the only ones he has left are the gray/black fades, and I think it's too close to my Tremonti charcoal burst and SE Holcomb in color. I have thinned my herd and was looking for something I don't have aesthetically and with different wood combos.
I was reading on Reverb.com that, if what you're buying was manufactured in the US, then you shouldn't have to pay any duties upon re-importing. Link
So you think I should expect to pay something then?

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I have already been in touch with Brian, his run is what fueled the GAS. Unfortunately the only ones he has left are the gray/black fades, and I think it's too close to my Tremonti charcoal burst and SE Holcomb in color. I have thinned my herd and was looking for something I don't have aesthetically and with different wood combos.
I was reading on Reverb.com that, if what you're buying was manufactured in the US, then you shouldn't have to pay any duties upon re-importing. Link
So you think I should expect to pay something then?
In that case, probably not. Mine was a UK made guitar.

Back