Tips for live music in New Orleans ?

Frank McNerney

Shoitza
I'm going to be in New Orleans for a weekend May 10-12 (first visit). Looking forward to lots of great live music. Anyone with knowledge and experience to offer would be appreciated. Also - any great music stores.
Thanks in advance

Heck yes...Music Legends Park...there's a T-bone player (Dave Ruffner) that plays there regularly and he's awesome!! He plays pretty much everywhere down there. Most of the standard NOLA jazz tunes...There's a street Husker (right term??) that made her own banjo and she returns to NOLA sometimes...she went North for some reason ($$$$$?). Kia Ochun...kinda unique, but great! Fretless banjo, tap dancing, singing simultaneously ...really unique to watch. Gotta get a Bourbon House Milk Punch...think Wendy's Frosty...with booze! Delicious! The Garden District is great to walk. Catch the old Streetcar here. The only negative I have is the vagrants were a little worse last time...lots of them begging pretty rudely. Just gotta be aware. Great place, though...Have Fun.

Last edited:
Chickie Wah Wah on Canal St. is a neat bar with live music.
Years ago, I went to the Maple Leaf Bar and I think it's still open/live music.
Tipatina's has live music.
Go to The Praline Connection on Frenchman St. for the best fried chicken you'll ever have.

New Orleans lends itself to just wandering around and popping in where you hear something good. Cafe du Monde beignets are an essential part of the experience. You get to walk around the rest of the day with powdered sugar all over you.

THIS!^

I'll also add two of my favorite resteraunts...Pascal Manales over in the Garden District...its incredible. And a great local spot close to Bourbon St (I have no idea how close because I blacked out) Is called Port of Call. Just try to not look all "touresty" when you see the menu. They will go all "Soup Nazi" on your a$$...if you do.

Pro tip* don't ask for ANYTHING that IS NOT one of the following....a hamburger, a cheese burger, a baked potato or a steak...for real.

As for the live music...don't worry, it will find you.;)

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who responded - I appreciate it !

Thanks for the thread. Headed that way with my Mrs. to meet up with the Hansomatic family in July. It’s been 40+ years since I was in NO last, so I appreciate the tips as well. I hope you have a good time and give us a follow-up report when you return.

I asked this same question on a couple other forums, and the consensus was, don't both with the French Quarter (UNLESS you've never been there- we have, this will be our 2nd trip), that Frenchman St. is where you want to be, for both music and food. And that a couple of the restaurants have a dress code, so if you want to eat there, bring a jacket.

Of course if you've never been there, you have to check out the Quarter. But I was told by many people that Frenchmen is where the LOCALS go to hear music and eat. The Quarter is all tourists.

New Orleans lends itself to just wandering around and popping in where you hear something good. Cafe du Monde beignets are an essential part of the experience. You get to walk around the rest of the day with powdered sugar all over you.

^THis... My only change would be that I prefer Cafe Beignet over du Monde...smaller and less touristy. And IIHO the beignets were better;)

The graveyard tour is pretty cool. If they have the street market going while you are there, it's cool to check out all the local artists.

Look for the dancing Darth Vader along the river.

Acme is the tourist spot but has decent food. There'll probably be a line. Liuzza's at the Track(1518 North Lopez) had the best po-boys( that's what the innerwebz said We confirmed their hypothesis with our own experiment. Their BBQ shrimp po-boy was killer You'll need a spoon). Desire Oyster Bar was a great meal. Sit at the counter where they are shucking if you can! I did NOT enjoy a sazarac.

Back