Tips/advice for first time Private Stock order?

Isaac cruz

I will order a PS sometime in the near future and would appreciate advice from seasoned PS owners. Things that tend to be overlooked that may have a positive impact (from either a tonal, playability or aesthetic standpoint) on the final product.

Paul M and Tina won’t let you overlook anything.
Start by knowing what you want, and what you might have questions about.
Don’t be afraid to ask Paul if a decision might impact tone. Then listen to his answer.

Playability is a given, so don’t worry about that.
Aesthetics are personal, so go with what suits you. If you aren’t sure if you are going too far on bling, you probably are.

You’ve probably done this already, but the first thing is to decide what you want it to sound like, since that can determine the wood choices. The last thing you probably want is a showpiece that doesn’t meet your tone criteria and won’t get played.

For example, if you want a traditional sounding instrument, you may be best off with traditional woods. Or you may want something that sounds more exotic, etc. It’s all your call, but at least have an idea of what tone you want.

The PS team has been to a few rodeos, and have good advice to offer. They helped me with some of the details on my acoustic, and their advice worked out well.

The experienced dealers know their stuff, too.

The PS models and limited runs past and present can be good starting points, since they express Paul and the PS team’s ideas of what they think works well. All of my PS electrics were limited runs, and I couldn’t be happier. But I don’t consider myself a guitar designer, and didn’t want anything all that exotic sounding.

Everyone’s different, of course, but I doubt the PS team would guide you into building something less than stellar.

I will order a PS sometime in the near future and would appreciate advice from seasoned PS owners. Things that tend to be overlooked that may have a positive impact (from either a tonal, playability or aesthetic standpoint) on the final product.

The best thing is to have some idea of what it is you want and what things you prefer. I am sure that any questions and advice can be obtained from PRS themselves. If you want to know whether the wood combinations are good choice, I am sure you can ask. I am also sure that PRS will ask you about things you may have overlooked - like Headstock veneer which you may want to match the fretboard woods or the body cap wood/colour scheme - also maybe the back plates too

If you can't get their yourself, make sure you know what the different Pattern Necks feel like so know which one you want. Be aware of scale length and how that may affect Pick-up placement depending on 22 or 24 fret necks. It would also make sense to know what PU's you want and any particular switching (coil split mini toggles for example).

I don't know what your plan is - whether its regular model (like a Custom 24 or 594) but just with the woods of your choosing or something a little more personal - something that you only get from Private Stock - like having a pattern thin neck on a Custom 22-08 with a McCarty thickness body. Regardless of what you are looking to do, knowing how PU's sound and how the different necks feel can help you make the right choice for you.

Unlike Artists who may get prototypes whilst deciding the specs of their Signature model, you won't. Therefore its best to understand what you prefer. Some woods don't take stain very well but no doubt you will be advised on things like that if they crop up. It may also be a good idea to look at some of the Private Stock builds that have been commissioned before, have a look and see what others have been able to come up with and give you some ideas on what you may want to consider but its still a good idea to have the fundamental spec in mind first. What PRS guitar its based on, what neck shape and number of frets you want, Pick-ups and switching etc

If you tell us what you’re thinking so far regarding model, woods, features, sounds and other aesthetics, maybe we can make some suggestions based on that. There are so many possibilities, it will be very difficult to just make a list of good options. Also, depending on what you are looking for, some of the options may not work too well.

Spec out what you want, and when you get to the vault, don’t be afraid to deviate from that spec. Something else may catch your eye/ear, or the team there may make a suggestion or two. If you find a neck or body that you like better, don’t be afraid to go for it.

Listen. Listen. Listen. Paul Miles and Tina Sears are great resources. Use their knowledge. But really listen, because they won’t try to talk you out of your dream. Tina made several suggestions and asked questions I hadn’t considered, and my PS is better for her input. Paul, frankly, saved my PS from a misunderstanding I had, and he did this very late in the process. He (and Brian) made great suggestions about the tone woods I was asking about.

Most of all - enjoy it. It’s a great experience.

Ask your dealer for a PS form to fill out if you don’t already have one. There’s a lot on there. Hopefully you’re going through a dealer who’s got some good experience and can guide you along the way. Where are you in the process so far??? Do you have a dealer you’re working with yet?

The more you work with your dealer ahead of time, the more you’ll get out of the process. It can be overwhelming with the number of choices you get to make. I had a clear idea what I wanted before I put in my order and I still felt it (the tyranny of choice) when I was on the phone during the wood selection and spec write ups when my dealer was in the vault with a Tina and Paul Miles. As others have said, listen to the experts! Definitely have the neck blanks tone tapped - big difference even with the same type of wood.

Download many copies of the order form because your mind will change on things!

Be detail oriented. This is a guitar you are investing a lot of money and a lot of time that the money spent represents on. Don’t be afraid to triple check every detail.

Research those details online. For example, I started with Nitro, but moved to Acrylic Urethane right before the order was placed. Ask questions,get Paul Miles to tone tap your neck blank...go to the factory to spec it out! Ask the questions that you may think are stupid, and then make sure you understand.

Pick out all of your own woods and materials. Also, as a nice final piece, specify “Custom Built for YOUR NAME HERE” on the back of the headstock. My PS has “Custom Built for Steve Dombroski” on the back and I still can’t get over that to this day.

Get what YOU like for whatever reason you like it.

Ok, now that rule #1 has been established. Here’s some things I like, but others will disagree (which is great since it’s subjective):

Get an ebony or very dark wood fretboard. It will show off the inlays and will help make your figured wood top (assuming you choose one) stand out.

Ask Paul Miles how the book match will line up after carving. He can give you a pretty good guesstimate after looking at both sides and edges of the billet. If it’s not going to book match, pick another top. Also, you could go 1 piece, but personally, I wouldn’t pay the upcharge.

Have a color in mind going in. Look at images on the web. It will probably drive you nuts before you decide, but you will sleep better once it’s finalized.

Decide what weight you can live with. It will help you pick woods.

Don’t pick a highly-figured top, and then understate it with satin. Gloss that rascal.

Make your PS different than a core. Examples: Different inlays, mini-toggles, one-off color, “Markie-mod” (couldn’t resist), exotic woods, etc. If you want it to look like a core, buy a core and save your money.

Last edited:
And don’t forget you can mix and match permutations of any standard controls configuration.

For example if you do not like the standard location of the 594 toggle switch, yet would like to blend volumes, you could specify for a 594 with a DGT layout. Or a Custom 24 with 594 layout.

All you "doctors and lawyers" who can afford this private stock stuff :p;)

(I have left out any real advice on this as I have absolutely ZERO experience in this area to share....but, good luck and post pix when you get it)

I agree with 11top. PRS Core is the top of the tone mountain in a fair fight. Private Stock just makes the fight unfair, because it’s that much better.

If you want to play your Private Stock, then start with how you want it to sound and how you would control it. Wood species placement, pickups, electronics and scale length, etc. will dial that in. Do you want it semi hollow, etc. Make it original.

Then design a cohesive look. This is purely up to you, your imagination and your wallet. I would ask for a PS order form from your dealer and fill it out yourself several times with the different options you’re considering. I use Excel to mix and change it until I’m happy. Then I review it with the dealer and they help create the final sheet and send it off.

Have fun, take your time and enjoy the process!

Last edited:
All you "doctors and lawyers" who can afford this private stock stuff :p;)

(I have left out any real advice on this as I have absolutely ZERO experience in this area to share....but, good luck and post pix when you get it)
I’m neither :) The used market is a great way to start if you find one with the specs you are looking for ;)

I agree with 11top. PRS Core is the top of the tone mountain in a fair fight. Private Stock just makes the fight unfair, because it’s that much better.

If you want to play your Private Stock, then start with how you want it to sound and how you would control it. Wood species placement, pickups, electronics and scale length, etc. will dial that in. Do you want it semi hollow, etc. Make it original.

Then design a cohesive look. This is purely up to you, your imagination and your wallet. I would ask for a PS order form from your dealer and fill it out yourself several times with the different options your considering. I use Excel to mix and change it until I’m happy. Then I review it with the dealer and they help create the final sheet and send it off.

Have fun, take your time and enjoy the process!
There was Excel involved with my build :rolleyes:

I agree with everyone above me, but let me try a different tact. Here's what I did that worked and what didn't...

Worked:
- Have a vision of what you want before you go. If you go with a "I kinda want..." you will be over whelmed!
- Bring pics for the discussion. I had ideas I couldn't vocalize, and showing Paul & the crew helped them to help me
- Get the form before you go, do a TON of research, and fill it out. As many have mentioned, MANY times. Tina is amazing at covering all of the bases, but IDK about you, *I* needed to do some homework to understand all of the questions she asked me. Having already done the form, I smartened right up.
- Again about the form: Think of the minutia. Knobs, pup rings, bird inlay style, color, etc.
- Ask questions! As others mentioned, tone, tone tone! If you *think* you understand tone implications, *don't* be bashful about looking for input on whether or not you're going down the path. You have the experts at your disposal, and they'll get as into it as you let them.
- Be firm in what you want, but be willing to listen to the gurus. I KNEW that the first few stains weren't right, when Paul brought out the last we ALL knew it was. I DIDN'T know the best middle wood for my tone, but they understood the tone I was looking for and immediately pointed me in the right direction.
- Again about the vision: If you can't picture it in your head, holding it, tone, feel (neck carve), look; you're not ready. This is the pinnacle of guitar craftsmanship - If the PS you receive doesn't make you crack a tear, you weren't ready to order. :D

Didn't work:
- Overly focus on the "big things", to the detriment of the small. There were a couple of things I liked that I didn't bother with (heel bird), that I should have. (Good news, a call a few weeks later got it included)
- I tried to understand everything before I went, and was afraid of looking like Doctor / Lawyer. (I'm neither BTW) These guys / gals are the EXPERTS, be specific in what you want, but humble enough to accept that it's OK to be a bit of a tourist your first time thru.
- I spent WEEKS researching other PS builds before finalizing mine. It. Was. Not. Enough. Spend MONTHS.

Last but not least: ENJOY the process!! Nothing is as cool as what you're about to be gifted with, have fun!!

EDIT: Added one of what I think is the MOST important things:
Work with a PS dealer that you trust / enjoy. This is a big deal, and the dealer will be your conduit w/the PS team. If you don't have a good relationship w/them, find another. If they're not as into it as you, find another. If they've never done one before, or haven't been in the vault themselves...
You see where I'm going.

Back