Time to sell some guitars...

The other part of the equation: According to the World Health Organization, the healthy life expectancy from birth of a male in the US is 68.5 years.

So if you retire at 65...you’ve got a good 3 1/2 years to enjoy that hoard! Oboy! ;)

Incidentally, as of 2018 the US is not in the top ten of the world healthy life expectancy stats; the Japanese are on top, Singapore is up there, Canada, Israel, and several European states are ahead, and last year China passed the US.

In the US, the last ten years of life expectancy are defined by increasing disability and illness.

So what you're saying is if you retire at 65, move to Japan, Singapore or Canada to get the most out of it?

I used to work with a guy who had no filter and would say just about anything to anyone. He used to go to the retirement gatherings for people at our company, almost always people he'd known for years (so they knew the spirit in which things were said), and buzz in and say in rapid-fire cadence, "Hey buddy congratulations sorry to see you go gonna miss you around here hope you get cancer in two months enjoy retirement." Anyone who was new to the scene would stand there slack-jawed. The rest of us knew what to expect.

You know how this ends. He got cancer a few months after retiring. We always figured he probably at least appreciated the irony.

So I gave FaceBook Marketplace a whirl.

A buyer contacted me about one of the 3 guitars I listed. My price is about 10% lower than the final price on the last 2 eBay sales of the same guitar (and that doesn’t even include shipping). Dude still hits me up for a lower price.

After I decline, he insists that he must come to my house and play it for a while. I explained that I don’t meet people I meet on the net at my house and that I’ll meet him somewhere public. Dude gets indignant and informs me that he’s a ‘serious music teacher’, that he can’t be expected to buy a guitar without plugging it in, and that there must be something wrong with me.

After reminding him that an in-hand inspection of the guitar is a far-greater option than eBay or Reverb can offer, he persists with the insults.

I called him a weirdo and told him to f#%k off.

So far... off to a bad start.

Last edited:
FB marketplace depends on the buyer/seller as with most selling sites. I’ve had good experience from both FB and EBay, just luck of the draw I guess. My last sale on EB was pleasant, the buyer was great and I was happy with the price I got so it was win, win.

reverb seems to be better I think than ebay

Maybe a big PRS dealer would be willing to take a few in in trade with a new one heading home? I have no idea how that market works, just postulating, and I know any trading has to be done off campus here, maybe another prs orientated site that you are all on?

anyway, good luck

You know how this ends. He got cancer a few months after retiring. We always figured he probably at least appreciated the irony.

One of the former members of this forum was planning to have income from selling his PRS collection in retirement. Sadly, he didn’t make it to retirement. At least he got to enjoy the guitars.

It’s good to hedge your bet by being able to play your retirement savings, I think. At least you get to have a bit of fun with what your heirs inherit in case of early demise.

I’m never retiring. Not that I plan to cheat death, I just get bored if I don’t have something constructive to think about/do.

“What constructive things are you doing these days, Les?”

“I wrote music for an indie film. Hey, it’s something to do.”

Shoot, Facebook Marketplace has been incredible in the Northern Virginia area! After my mom and grandmother died, we were flush with items we just couldn’t keep. We have done incredibly well selling items...I mean really well.

A buyer contacted me about one of the 3 guitars I listed. My price is about 10% lower than the final price on the last 2 eBay sales of the same guitar (and that doesn’t even include shipping). Dude still hits me up for a lower price.

After I decline, he insists that he must come to my house and play it for a while. I explained that I don’t meet people I meet on the net at my house and that I’ll meet him somewhere public. Dude gets indignant and informs me that he’s a ‘serious music teacher’, that he can’t be expected to buy a guitar without plugging it in, and that there must be something wrong with me.

After reminding him that an in-hand inspection of the guitar is a far-greater option than eBay or Reverb can offer, he persists with the insults.

Dammit Les, that was the kinder gentler me.

Nice....wtf is with people....

I had a guy that wanted to check out a Santana AP I have listed. He was cool enough to agree to meet at a local Police dept lobby. Just to show me he wasn't some "whack job on the Internet" he brought along a cherry Rasta. Didn't bite on the Santana. I think he wanted me to make a trade plus cash for the Rasta. I should have, damnit!

I fell everyone's pain. There used to be a "Swap Meet" page on here where I bought and sold a bunch of PRSi. I have decided to sell my 513 Rosewood, but have had issues with Reverb buyers in the past and I HATE Craiglisters. Let me know if you've found a better way. Thanks guys.

I feel you about the studio gear. After my last upgrade I ended up depositing a ton of gear in the dumpster.....

...32 tracks of 20 bit ADAT machines
...old mid level rack processors, solid state compressors
...a couple of smaller 16 channel recording mixers

Selling them was not worth the hassles. That gear was all door stops, at best. While nowhere near your investment or loss, it was still painful....
Man, I would love to have a 16 channel recording mixer for band practices and such. Anything with 16 mic preamps and stereo out would work OK for me.

Back