Time to sell some guitars...

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
... but I really hate tire kickers and the drama that seems to get worse by the year. Never thought I’d ever consider paying someone else a commision to sell guitars for me but I have to say, I sure am considering it now.

Anyone else out there reluctant to thin the heard because you dread the hassle, risk of shipping damage, or dealing with people?

... but I really hate tire kickers and the drama that seems to get worse by the year. Never thought I’d ever consider paying someone else a commision to sell guitars for me but I have to say, I sure am considering it now.

Anyone else out there reluctant to thin the heard because you dread the hassle, risk of shipping damage, or dealing with people?

Yes, I’ve done it many times. I’ve also traded in gear instead of selling outright, just to avoid the headache and hassle.

Granted, someone else makes money. Good for them! They ought to, for taking on work I’m not into doing.

Yes, it costs me a few bucks. So do lots of services that I regularly employ.

For me it’s often worth it. My very practical wife thinks I’m nuts, but she usually thought I was nuts when I bought the gear in the first place.

Often she reminds me that I’m nuts. On the other hand, I remind her that both of us were nuts enough to marry each other. ;)

Last edited:
I’m a lot better at buying than at selling. I have a few that I should move.

I hate the back and forth on pricing when I know that I’ve priced a guitar properly. Also hate the fees associated with the listing sites and PayPal.

Shipping has been a hassle lately with UPS. I ship insured and from the main UPS distribution center in Northern Virginia. The last time I shipped, the clerks wanted to see the actual guitar. So I got to undue all my careful packing. I tend to add more protection than PRS.

...My very practical wife thinks I’m nuts, but she usually thought I was nuts when I bought the gear in the first place.

Often she reminds me that I’m nuts. On the other hand, I remind her that both of us were nuts enough to marry each other. ;)

Once in an exasperated marital moment I exclaimed, “You drive me crazy!”

“Hmmm. Short trip!” Was her reply...

I am totally in this situation right now. With this chronic illness and job challenges we’ve decide to sell our house later this spring and downsize. I should sell some gear including my unicons but I haven’t been able to work up the energy to do it. Already got too much on my plate with the job and doctors.

The table at a guitar show is a very intriguing idea!

Always buy, never sell.

I admire your attitude, but there are situations, times and places where selling extra gear makes sense.

Example - I’m working on an electronic music project that would benefit from a few pieces of different gear than I now have. It’d be easier to move an extra guitar or two than stress the budget for my project, one I’ve been dreaming to do for a long time.

However, I can’t part with one of my guitars at the moment, I’m too attached to them. But it’d make sense in some ways. (Shrug).

The ones I have sold have been thru the other PRS forums or friends so no issues so far, I haven't tried to sell a PRS on reverb or ebay yet

I just got done watching a video today which was called "Top 5 Quality Guitar Brands with HORRIBLE Resale Value". Guess which three letter guitar brand name made the list... (and add HERITAGE guitars to the list!)

Anyway, right now I would REALLY like to sell some guitars in order to pay down some credit card debt. But, I am also to the place where I am adamantly opposed to selling any of my guitars for less than what I believe they are worth. Especially when I have very valid reasons WHY I believe they are worth what I think they are worth. (example I bought the guitar brand new three weeks ago for the 5 grand ballpark, haven't played it and now I want to sell it so I'm not letting it go for only $1500.00 just because it's "used".)

If I could at least break even or take no more than a $200.00 loss per guitar, I would love to reduce my $35,000.00 guitar collection to a $17,500.00 collection by selling half of them. It's very frustrating, especially when a bunch of damn lowballers keep making me offers which are not only low on the asking price of the guitar, but they also undercut my shipping compensation right out of existence. I'm so ticket off about all this right now that I'm beginning to think that burying the guitars I wish to part with in the back yard so that none of these damn lowballers will ever get to enjoy them sounds to me like a good idea. (If you plant a guitar, will a guitar tree grow?)

Last edited:
Shipping has been a hassle lately with UPS. I ship insured and from the main UPS distribution center in Northern Virginia. The last time I shipped, the clerks wanted to see the actual guitar. So I got to undue all my careful packing. I tend to add more protection than PRS.

That is exactly what I go through! But I have it down to a routine now. I just leave the very end un-taped so I can slide it out at the UPS depot for the inspection. Once I get my paperwork signed by a Supervisor, I slide the whole bit back into the end of the box and tape up only that end.

But, I am also to the place where I am adamantly opposed to selling any of my guitars for less than what I believe they are worth. Especially when I have very valid reasons WHY I believe they are worth what I think they are worth. (example I bought the guitar brand new three weeks ago for the 5 grand ballpark, haven't played it and now I want to sell it so I'm not letting it go for only $1500.00 just because it's "used".)

I feel your pain; in fact, I’ve felt your pain many times, and with pretty special instruments, no less! :eek:

But as we all know, the market drives price. You can only sell for what buyers are willing to pay, and the market is full folks in search of “steals.”

So if you’ve got a beautiful Private Stock you’ve lavished with the best care imaginable, and it’s still perfect, as-new, you’re still gonna take a big hit on it, no matter how ‘rare’, no matter how special, etc., at least until 50 years from now if the guitar somehow becomes the next ‘59 Burst.

Anyway, I’ll be very dead and my ashes will have been in some jar until they get thrown out with the trash at that point, and my kids will be senior citizens! So I’m not gonna get much now selling my one-offs and limited run PSes signed by the Man himself. It’s one reason I haven’t sold a couple to fund a Moog One, though as I mentioned, I love my guitars and can’t seem to part with any of them.

Just the way it is in the used guitar selling game. Buying’s fun, selling, well, not so much. .

Back