Time for a new PRS: violet inspiration

DavidOne87

Hi everyone!
First post Here in the official forum, but i thought there wouldn’t be a better place for my troubles. i already own a custom 24 bought in 2017, in blue smoke-burst. This was my first PRS, and i’m really impressed with every single aspect of this unreal instrument: it’s beauty, master craftmanship, playability, but almost how it feels. I always had very good guitars, but never had a similar physical feeling with One of my instrument.

So i was thinking that maybe is time for a new one, and i’m planning to buy a new one in this 2019.
I’m in contact with my dealer in italy, cause i’m thinking about a private stock or ( most probably) an artist package. I’d like to have something more personal, and a different guitar from the custom 24, so i think i’ll go for a custom 22 with 58/15 lt pickups (mine has 85/15), with quilted top and maple neck with ebony fingerboard. This is the idea, but any advice is good!

About colors and inlays, I felt in love with a violet one, expecially a violet blue burst with matching colors neck! For the inlays maybe Paua or green abalone, but need some detailed pics! So I ask you to post for me your violet/purple prs here and any idea for the inlays!

There's a few pics over here:
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/new-purple-guitar-thread.33059

And my purple cu22 to get you started:

xjfhplwvmmyq6vrf12dq.jpg

While there is certainly nothing wrong with buying a CU 22, why not get a "different" PRS guitar, since you already own a CU24? Have you considered any of the other core models such as the 594, or a Paul's guitar for example? I am sure you will be more than happy with a CU22 but why not "branch out" and cover a bit more musical territory?

Last edited:
While there is certainly nothing wrong with buying a CU 22, why not get a "different" PRS guitar, since you already own a CU24? Have you considered any of the other core models such as the 594, or a Paul's guitar for example? I am sure you will be more than happy with a CU22 but why not "branch out" and cover a bot more musical territory?
Definitely a 22 fan over here. I'm an if it ain't broke don't fix it kind of guy ;)

I really like how the stain is on this top. I have a slight feeling that it is partially faded, but it looks killer. I wasn't too pleased when I got it because I was expecting a violet like in the picture above - more "purple". Mine is very unique.

I love the fade on that. It really has personality.

[...] because I was expecting a violet like in the picture above - more "purple". Mine is very unique.

I think mine matches yours very closely in normal light without a little Photoshop. I was also a bit ... Let's say put off when I saw my photo above online and drove an hour to check it out. But I've really grown to love it (got a decent deal when I pointed out the fade)

Thank you all for your replies a lot of amazing purple guitars out there! The curious thing is that usually I don’t like so vibrant colors: violet/purple, or green. But on this instruments, with this woods....it’s unbelievable!

While there is certainly nothing wrong with buying a CU 22, why not get a "different" PRS guitar, since you already own a CU24? Have you considered any of the other core models such as the 594, or a Paul's guitar for example? I am sure you will be more than happy with a CU22 but why not "branch out" and cover a bot more musical territory?

I am actually thinking about it: I like the 594, but I definitely want a tremolo bridge. The 24 08 also thrills me with its amount of combination, but the idea is the CU22 with 58/15 lt for a deeper and warmer tone, and also the possibility to have a single coil option! But still no choice ehehhe

I’ve posted this one several times; the finish is Northern Lights. Lots of violet and blue. Will fade if left out in the light, so if you go this route you might want to case it when not in use.

ptKq9zh.jpg

Outstanding finishing! One of my favourite in the private stock options with laguna dragon’s breath ( not violet but still awesome).
But I think a PS with this finish would be really expensive.....

OP, do you like having 24 frets? Do you use all 24 frets, or even if you don't use all of the frets, do you like the improved access to the upper end of the neck? Are you comfortable with what moving the neck pickup toward the bridge does to the sound? If the answer to these questions is "yes," then why not spec your dream CU24 or, to get a new feature, consider the CU24 Piezo or CU24-08? These guitars will give you the same features as the CU24 but with an added piezo pickup or individual coil taps, so you wouldn't be losing anything, only gaining something.

If the answer to those questions is "no," then I think you're right to consider PRS' 22-fret offerings. Is weight a big issue for you? If yes, then maybe stick with the CU22, but if not, I'd consider the McCarty 594, 408 or, my personal favorite, the DGT. I think that the thicker bodies and, in some cases, necks improve the tone. The HBI or HBII also would give you a warmer, airier tone while also adding the flexability of a piezo pickup system.

The 594 has the thickest body and, in my opinion, the most comfortable neck shape, the scale length will give you a Les Paul-esque feel, and the pickups will be meaningful different from the 85/15s. The 58/15 LT pickups in the 594 are a little too low output for me but a lot of people like them. Not sure if the 57/08s are available if you order an Artist Package McCarty 594, but I think they sound better than the 58/15 LTs, in my opinion. I know a lot of guys love the 58/15 LTs. Having two volumes, two tones and individual coil taps provides a lot of flexibility and also allows you to blend the pickups to taste, something that can't be done on the CU22 or CU24.

The 408 has a lot of versatility and may be right for you if you're not looking for traditional humbucker tones. To me, the 408, when in humbucker mode, sounds more similar to a Gretsch filtertron than a regular humbucker and, out of PRS' offerings, perhaps gives the best tapped tones. This isn't better or worse, just different. Try them out if you can; you may love them.

The DGT has a McCarty body thickness, a unique neck carve and, in my opinion, some of the best pickups that any company has ever produced, which are only available on DGT guitars. As mentioned above, having two volume knobs also allows you to blend the pickups to create a lot of great tones.

Bottom line: You can get any of these guitars with the color and inlays you'd like. If you're primarily concerned with how the guitar's going to sound and play, you may want to start my selecting the pickups and electronics, number of frets, woods, body thickness and neck shape. For example, if you like a bright, snappy attack with a fair amount of top end sizzle, the maple neck + ebony board would be great. If you want something more traditional, then maybe stick with a mahogany neck and rosewood board. If you'd like more bottom end, and a smooth feeling neck, then maybe opt for a rosewood neck and fingerboard.

Hope this helps.

OP, do you like having 24 frets? Do you use all 24 frets, or even if you don't use all of the frets, do you like the improved access to the upper end of the neck? Are you comfortable with what moving the neck pickup toward the bridge does to the sound? If the answer to these questions is "yes," then why not spec your dream CU24 or, to get a new feature, consider the CU24 Piezo or CU24-08? These guitars will give you the same features as the CU24 but with an added piezo pickup or individual coil taps, so you wouldn't be losing anything, only gaining something.

If the answer to those questions is "no," then I think you're right to consider PRS' 22-fret offerings. Is weight a big issue for you? If yes, then maybe stick with the CU22, but if not, I'd consider the McCarty 594, 408 or, my personal favorite, the DGT. I think that the thicker bodies and, in some cases, necks improve the tone. The HBI or HBII also would give you a warmer, airier tone while also adding the flexability of a piezo pickup system.

The 594 has the thickest body and, in my opinion, the most comfortable neck shape, the scale length will give you a Les Paul-esque feel, and the pickups will be meaningful different from the 85/15s. The 58/15 LT pickups in the 594 are a little too low output for me but a lot of people like them. Not sure if the 57/08s are available if you order an Artist Package McCarty 594, but I think they sound better than the 58/15 LTs, in my opinion. I know a lot of guys love the 58/15 LTs. Having two volumes, two tones and individual coil taps provides a lot of flexibility and also allows you to blend the pickups to taste, something that can't be done on the CU22 or CU24.

The 408 has a lot of versatility and may be right for you if you're not looking for traditional humbucker tones. To me, the 408, when in humbucker mode, sounds more similar to a Gretsch filtertron than a regular humbucker and, out of PRS' offerings, perhaps gives the best tapped tones. This isn't better or worse, just different. Try them out if you can; you may love them.

The DGT has a McCarty body thickness, a unique neck carve and, in my opinion, some of the best pickups that any company has ever produced, which are only available on DGT guitars. As mentioned above, having two volume knobs also allows you to blend the pickups to create a lot of great tones.

Bottom line: You can get any of these guitars with the color and inlays you'd like. If you're primarily concerned with how the guitar's going to sound and play, you may want to start my selecting the pickups and electronics, number of frets, woods, body thickness and neck shape. For example, if you like a bright, snappy attack with a fair amount of top end sizzle, the maple neck + ebony board would be great. If you want something more traditional, then maybe stick with a mahogany neck and rosewood board. If you'd like more bottom end, and a smooth feeling neck, then maybe opt for a rosewood neck and fingerboard.

Hope this helps.

That’s an interesting reply. The answer is yes: I love the 24 frets and the improved access to the last part of the fretboard, even if of course I don’t play in the last 2 frets so often. The sound of the neck pickup is what i’d Like to swap, and this is the main reason that lead me into a cu22 (mccarty could be an option, but I prefer to have a tremolo bridge, even if a Gibson-style sound would be appreciated ). As I said in a previous post, the 24/08 with Full single coil option seems to be very interesting ( by the way: can I have a 24/08 with 58/15 lt pickups?). About the sounds what I want is something different than my Cu24, so a warmer snd smoother sound, mostly on the neck. I think that maple neck with ebony fingerboard and the 58/15s should be a great combo for a smooth sound without loosing that brilliant sound on the bridge. Does anyone use this configuration?

Here's another option - Buy 2 core guitars : )
  1. Custom 22, with 58/15 pickups. You now have trem and 22 frets
  2. 594, with 58/15LT pickups but no trem. You now have 22 frets, the LT pickups you are after, and a fixed bridge. (I vote Singlecut, did somebody say Gibson-style?)
$$ wise, I don't know how this differs from your Private Stock option, but you'll end up with 2 new awesome guitars that cover so much territory you'll be spoilt for choice.
Maybe even cheaper overall than the PS?
You might even find a Wood Library 594 with a maple neck, that will also give more variety again.

I'm no mathematician, but basically... CU24 + CU22 + 594 = Happiness.

Last edited:
That’s an interesting reply. The answer is yes: I love the 24 frets and the improved access to the last part of the fretboard, even if of course I don’t play in the last 2 frets so often. The sound of the neck pickup is what i’d Like to swap, and this is the main reason that lead me into a cu22 (mccarty could be an option, but I prefer to have a tremolo bridge, even if a Gibson-style sound would be appreciated ).

Maybe the first question you should answer is how important having 24 frets is to you. You can't have both (1) 24 frets and (2) the traditional placement of the neck pickup, which produces a warmer, more traditional tone. A lot of really great players, like Gunthrie Govan, can't seem to live without 24 frets. A lot of other players can't live with what moving the neck pickup does to its sound. I, for example, don't like Gibson SGs or PRS CU24s because the neck pickup doesn't sound right to me. I'd prefer better upper fret access, but not at the expense of changing how the neck pickup sounds. There's no right or wrong, however; you have to decide what works for you.

I think that maple neck with ebony fingerboard and the 58/15s should be a great combo for a smooth sound without loosing that brilliant sound on the bridge. Does anyone use this configuration?

I normally associate "smooth" with midrange, and maple and ebony tend to accentuate high frequencies, not midrange. The 58/15s also eliminate some of the 57/08s' lower midrange and have more high end clarity than the 57/08s. So, for me, that's not a recipe for "smooth." But, if you play with a lot of gain, you may nonetheless be able to get a smooth tone and the maple and ebony should help add clarity and definition to the notes, particularly on fast runs .

There's no right or wrong; you just have to figure out what's right for you. Choosing specs always seems like a compromise, at least to me, but if you think about what's most important to you and spec the guitar accordingly, I think you'll be happy with what you end up with.

Back