Tim Pierce video about PRS

That wide angle lens makes the neck look curved! New multi scale. Really good points, though. When you get such style snobbery on guitars (old/new, pretty/relic, single/humbucker, this brand/that brand, and then throw in the endless unqualified opinions of social media, it’s good to see a proven player who digs good sound and wants to see every player get a piece of it.

I like Tim’s stuff.

Last edited:
It's nice to know that PRS is giving the vintage market a run for its money, given that PS, 594s and SS's, even other regular production pieces, are all up there in sound/tone quality with premiere vintage pieces. When one does the math, does it really make sense to own a piece of history from the 50's or 60's at an astronomically expensive price, or a PRS, if the guitars sound the same, or if the PRS feels better in your hands?

I've voted with my wallet, picking up three 594s of various flavors and I have a rather special Silver Sky coming one day... My oldest guitar is from 1984.

Has anybody else noted the irony that the closer PRS models get to The Two Iconic G and F Models, the better they sell? I bet that makes Paul Himself grit his teeth a bit.

I've voted with my wallet, picking up three 594s of various flavors and I have a rather special Silver Sky coming one day... My oldest guitar is from 1984.

Has anybody else noted the irony that the closer PRS models get to The Two Iconic G and F Models, the better they sell? I bet that makes Paul Himself grit his teeth a bit.
Yup... I'm ready for a PRS Tele.

I like this guy. Goo personality and great player.

Also, look how perfect the maple binding looks on his McCarty. I will never understand plastic binding.

I can’t disagree that the wood looks great, if not best.

While it’s rare to have shrinkage on a PRS, it occasionally happens. If you’re running around to sessions, tours or gigs in winter, it’s nice to have a binding, so you don’t have to see a luthier to file the fret ends due to fretboard shrinkage.

Personally, I think the plastic has a welcome, traditional look. Hey, we’re all different when it comes to personal taste! But i have a few with wood binding, too, because consistency is not my hobgoblin; my little mind has others. ;)

Last edited:
I'd have to say he's pretty spot on but I'd expand this to include current production G and F brand models as well. My personal PRS experience is only the Core and S2 lines but I've recently been coming to the realization that I'd sooner buy a PRS take of any of the iconic guitars than any new or vintage G or F guitars. I've just grown past buying a guitar that is at best "OK" or worse, immediately having to drop money on a full setup and possibly fretwork to make the guitar playable. I have yet to ever pick up a USA-made PRS and have the setup be anything less than great nor have sharp frets that are trying to shred my fingers. Can't really ever say that for the other brands outside of maybe their custom shop lines, which is why I'm slowing weeding out my small-ish herd and backfilling with PRS.

"PRS has never paid me to advertise their stuff" - Has a Private Stock guitar from THIS YEAR with the new pickups.

What's the lead time for everyone else on PS guitars?

Edit: Yikes, this sounds bitter.

What I mean is, he should be honest that he gets preferential treatment, for which I don't begrudge him.

Last edited:
Anyone else think he reads these forums, and went to 9s after the windy city 594 fest ;)

"PRS has never paid me to advertise their stuff" - Has a Private Stock guitar from THIS YEAR with the new pickups.

What's the lead time for everyone else on PS guitars?

Edit: Yikes, this sounds bitter.

What I mean is, he should be honest that he gets preferential treatment, for which I don't begrudge him.

You’re assuming that the guitar was a custom order. It probably wasn’t. PRS makes prototype PS models - MA Pete has a proto PS 594, for example.

PRS also makes Artist Relations PS models that get bought by Artists who aren’t endorsers, and sometimes the leftovers even go to dealers, like my Hammer Of The Gods guitar.. Jack Gretz had two of these McCarty Singlecuts available when I picked mine.

There are also guitars made for NAMM and various shows, etc., that later become available. And of course, anyone with the dough can buy a dealer-ordered PS, no wait. Mine were all dealer orders except the acoustic. Even the Northern lights guitar was a dealer order months before I reserved it, and I only waited a few months for it to come in (which explains why it isn’t an amber color!).

I can’t imagine Pierce buying a PS (or any guitar) without playing it first.

Last edited:
Back