Tim Pierce/Howard Leese: PRS vs Les Paul

Mr. Schefman, have you been sleeping in class again? If you had not been, you'd know this is the entire PRS MO.

They have to compete with their old guitars in order to sell new guitars, and they do that by putting exactly the right kind of old on their new, so you have to buy their new because it's better than your old.

That’s cynical. I don’t think that way.

I’ve been in business for myself since 1977. That’s a long time. I understand business well enough to know that new and updated products drive business. They do it in every industry in the world. That’s good business.

I’m fine with that. In fact, I think it’s a very desirable thing. If good business is a modus operandi, PRS should keep doing it.

In the case of the guitars I buy, those new products often inspire me to create new products of my own; in my case, the music my customers buy or commission me to create. The fun and inspiration show up in my music every time.

I’m sure you’d agree that the best deals are when both parties win. When Paul makes a guitar with a few improvements, a new pickup, or new features large or small, I want to work with it. Simple as that.

He wins my business. I win with new inspiration and music.

Win-win.

I wish Paul and PRS every success, and I’m happy to support their work when I can by being a good customer.

The reason would be that I have a limited amount of space and to add a guitar that is so similar to one I already own, the 'older' one would probably have to go. It wouldn't make sense to trade in something different and lose whatever unique tones/features that offers to get something that is very similar in a lot of ways to the newer model. If space and/or money wasn't an issue, then I wouldn't need to sell an existing 594 to replace it with a new 594 but because I can't have 10+ guitars, I would rather they were different to give me a wider tonal palette. The new 594 doesn't seem to be different enough to add to what I already have and, if its 'better', then why keep the older one?

Don't get me wrong, the older 594 is a fantastic guitar and I do love mine but I don't think its advantageous to me to own multiples of the same instrument and, if I am at capacity with the maximum number of guitars I can realistically own, I would have to sell to add something. I am much more likely to sell something I have 2 of, keeping the one that I feel is 'best'.

Anyway, its immaterial because I doubt I would be buying a new 594 and I would have been happy to keep my 594 for the rest of my life had PRS not 'tinkered' with it. As you say, the older 594 is a fantastic guitar so its not like I am considering trading in a poor guitar to get a great guitar, upgrading. Some may think its an upgrade over the older 594 but at most, its an iterative improvement - although I do think the tuners are a downgrade - regardless

Um...what I said was I don’t know why you’d want to sell your 594 since it’s a great guitar. The new one isn’t somehow “better,” it’s just different. I’m not selling mine or buying a new 594 either.

We’re in complete agreement here, except that I prefer nitro and don’t care about the tuners.

One is Hercules and the other is Samson. Hard to separate really, but Samson definitely wins in terms of looks (owing to the long hair)....

Hercules may have more historical achievement what with the 12 tasks and all, but Samson gets the chicks..

HA!!! Les' quickest order after announcement on record yet!!! You must have Jack Gretz's personal cell number, or maybe you even have a bat signal for him? I thought you had a regular McCarty though, didn't you have one with a maple neck, then trade up for a mahogany neck instead?

It’s simply a case of PRS coming out with exactly what I wanted - a nitro finished Core McCarty. So I seized the day!

To answer your question about my previous McCarty, I traded it in on one of my 594s. I don’t regret the trade, I wanted the 594s and I’m very glad I have them, but it’ll be nice to have a McCarty, too.

And I don’t have to spend Private Stock money to get a nitro one? Done! Take my money!

And yes I have Jack’s cell phone number, but I placed the order via email. ;)

One is Hercules and the other is Samson. Hard to separate really, but Samson definitely wins in terms of looks (owing to the long hair)....

Hercules may have more historical achievement what with the 12 tasks and all, but Samson gets the chicks..

In the myth, Hercules went mad and killed his chick. The gods made him atone for that by doing the 12 tasks, the “Labors of Hercules.”

But yeah, it’s a good idea to keep Hercules away from women.

An interesting side-note is that a number of ancient Mediterranean peoples had their own local version of the Hercules myth, and the Pillars of Hercules and other place names like that were found all over the ancient world.

I found this on a web search.

CAB Lacquer

CAB lacquer is typically made from a mixture of a cellulose resin called cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) and acrylic. It is sometimes labeled as CAB-acrylic lacquer. This finish has the same general properties of nitrocellulose lacquer, except it is much whiter and yellows less over time. It also has slightly better heat resistance and is less brittle. CAB lacquer is an ideal finish for light-colored woods because it preserves the light color. However, it is more expensive and lacks some of the clarity of standard lacquer.

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood-finishes/lacquer/

So, maybe regular nitro lacquer over this CAB acrylic lacquer, or vice-versa?

Could be. Collings guitars were always nitro over some kind of acrylic base, if memory serves. I had a couple of Collings acoustics, and that’s what I was told.

I called it a tone quest.

f9y9i6ru3axCAbq5LZxtBizA5meKMIxXKFSIwXxp6sAPQoxr1bMV8J5N7aQK2kycjND-snsYWknXBElOtotLTb3o9nozm4sKDm0eEL3j12ThZ8HjJZr9rAaegZbzKKAGSzQJHpeA7KnghHy6qKYrHKP_SwEWWwIxJR9yGsKrIHXejgoSaCTesH2GpImLanhyYDJdUm4BC-TDoxA4ke5OgfBT4GJLe2q2OJIXmCem97IpS6Fe-SR1isg0S_-NliKJHuYFuWSRboQgNUEvTShuOFlecr5peQiLUIVVaqUgN9G6pg-TetywYxlMhbHdikRqWNc80F199hmCiPfGf27wEPXAkBKYH1Ya2_EmkVbGQ6BkW1geBuQ683hH4IbFiMa4mg9a0z-XrBCo2u0cjumdEs3KNROltZ-HwsQ_3xm9c1WzLMlsWbtc_rmHmIgt4descNP7GWq3luh2XmUyd_nErleB4YonrFVXjfGvSNtmEAPrn7WCT1ZBP8sJniFcT1HMcFOF-LfBbrKRWW-JezISUlsP4xR6kLTdU1ui2AjHdVXfDRvX0-9LlDw25Y7N8zg2s-TZOuJ-k_QvHKouQ1Z5Z3Ru3kqi08FEAPs4SkLnBlZS3CH-_8yRtw8cUlb2JVEhYzTm9otZZegp06cdN8k4hSjdGmIfZzypkDZnqvIJH8i48VJMhgWvEjpai0E-aeZq-yFjgUXxC7kzCl6Xc5ZqnSixvpEx2b8l2U7ioZVICdRtDADi_g=w853-h1137-no
Sweet.
I miss that SC.

The LT's are by far my fave PRS pup. I love Tim's video's. Very entertaining and talented as hell!

Tim’s the real, been there, done that, deal!

Plus, it’s hard for me not to have a dollup of fun watching a video of a guy surrounded by gear, playing an instrument!

When will the 2020 594 be available? With the nitro finish and the modified pickups I think I'm convinced.

Tim’s the real, been there, done that, deal!

Plus, it’s hard for me not to have a dollup of fun watching a video of a guy surrounded by gear, playing an instrument!

He presents as a humble guy, who’s quietly well organised.

He certainly went to the Goo Goo Dolls session well prepared and it payed off.

Back