Tim Pierce/Howard Leese: PRS vs Les Paul

That’s cynical. I don’t think that way.

I’ve been in business for myself since 1977. That’s a long time. I understand business well enough to know that new and updated products drive business. They do it in every industry in the world. That’s good business.

I’m fine with that. In fact, I think it’s a very desirable thing. If good business is a modus operandi, PRS should keep doing it.

I didn't think I was being cynical (if I was, I fear it's deeply ingrained habit...). I was trying to make a little light of the somewhat cyclical nature of these improvements (back to old finishes, back to old tuners). But I am wholeheartedly in favor of PRS' efforts to continually improve their instruments. They've kept me buying about one a year for an awful lot of years now.

I didn't think I was being cynical (if I was, I fear it's deeply ingrained habit...). I was trying to make a little light of the somewhat cyclical nature of these improvements (back to old finishes, back to old tuners). But I am wholeheartedly in favor of PRS' efforts to continually improve their instruments. They've kept me buying about one a year for an awful lot of years now.
I didn't take it as cynical.

Previous models have to be the yardstick by which improvements are measured; that's generally true for design in any field I think.

And putting the best of the old into the new is just Paul's way. Definitely a good thing.

I didn’t get that you were using wry humor! Doh! Sorry!

Very likely. Especially with the pickups, is a 59/15 better than or just different from a 57/08?

Exactly. I think different is the operative term. I love the 57/08s and the 58/15s, the 58/15 LTs, and the 85/15s. Oh, and the Paul’s Guitar pickups, and uh...I could go on...

When it comes to things that make sound, to me there’s no such thing as ‘better’, because everything seems to have its uses. There’s just ‘better for me’, or ‘better for this project’.

Back