Tim Pierce/Howard Leese: PRS vs Les Paul

One thing I really liked was how the pickups were balanced. Almost every guitar I see with 8515 5815 the bridge pickup is set really high to offset the neck pickup.

The 8515 is overpowering my 5909 by a little bit.

I don’t know why you would sell an existing 594 to get a new version; after all, the previous 594 is still a great guitar

The reason would be that I have a limited amount of space and to add a guitar that is so similar to one I already own, the 'older' one would probably have to go. It wouldn't make sense to trade in something different and lose whatever unique tones/features that offers to get something that is very similar in a lot of ways to the newer model. If space and/or money wasn't an issue, then I wouldn't need to sell an existing 594 to replace it with a new 594 but because I can't have 10+ guitars, I would rather they were different to give me a wider tonal palette. The new 594 doesn't seem to be different enough to add to what I already have and, if its 'better', then why keep the older one?

Don't get me wrong, the older 594 is a fantastic guitar and I do love mine but I don't think its advantageous to me to own multiples of the same instrument and, if I am at capacity with the maximum number of guitars I can realistically own, I would have to sell to add something. I am much more likely to sell something I have 2 of, keeping the one that I feel is 'best'.

Anyway, its immaterial because I doubt I would be buying a new 594 and I would have been happy to keep my 594 for the rest of my life had PRS not 'tinkered' with it. As you say, the older 594 is a fantastic guitar so its not like I am considering trading in a poor guitar to get a great guitar, upgrading. Some may think its an upgrade over the older 594 but at most, its an iterative improvement - although I do think the tuners are a downgrade - regardless

[QUOTE="WA Paul, post: 511936, member: 16132]I wonder how different the Nitro Over Cellulose (CAB) finish is from the PS High Gloss Nitro finish.....

I saw this also in another thread, but what does it mean, “nitro over cellulose”? Nitro is short for nitro cellulose......?

Nitro cellulose can be satin finish, gloss, etc.[/QUOTE]
That’s where I was going - nitro starts out as satin, then is polished up to become glossed. The PS HG version is labor intensive to reach that level of gloss. It wasn’t clear if these CAB ones were a satin or a semi gloss. I’m thinking a semi-gloss which I have on a Huber which is very nice. I have the PRS satin on the ME I.

I called it a tone quest.

f9y9i6ru3axCAbq5LZxtBizA5meKMIxXKFSIwXxp6sAPQoxr1bMV8J5N7aQK2kycjND-snsYWknXBElOtotLTb3o9nozm4sKDm0eEL3j12ThZ8HjJZr9rAaegZbzKKAGSzQJHpeA7KnghHy6qKYrHKP_SwEWWwIxJR9yGsKrIHXejgoSaCTesH2GpImLanhyYDJdUm4BC-TDoxA4ke5OgfBT4GJLe2q2OJIXmCem97IpS6Fe-SR1isg0S_-NliKJHuYFuWSRboQgNUEvTShuOFlecr5peQiLUIVVaqUgN9G6pg-TetywYxlMhbHdikRqWNc80F199hmCiPfGf27wEPXAkBKYH1Ya2_EmkVbGQ6BkW1geBuQ683hH4IbFiMa4mg9a0z-XrBCo2u0cjumdEs3KNROltZ-HwsQ_3xm9c1WzLMlsWbtc_rmHmIgt4descNP7GWq3luh2XmUyd_nErleB4YonrFVXjfGvSNtmEAPrn7WCT1ZBP8sJniFcT1HMcFOF-LfBbrKRWW-JezISUlsP4xR6kLTdU1ui2AjHdVXfDRvX0-9LlDw25Y7N8zg2s-TZOuJ-k_QvHKouQ1Z5Z3Ru3kqi08FEAPs4SkLnBlZS3CH-_8yRtw8cUlb2JVEhYzTm9otZZegp06cdN8k4hSjdGmIfZzypkDZnqvIJH8i48VJMhgWvEjpai0E-aeZq-yFjgUXxC7kzCl6Xc5ZqnSixvpEx2b8l2U7ioZVICdRtDADi_g=w853-h1137-no

I don’t know why you would sell an existing 594 to get a new version; after all, the previous 594 is still a great guitar, and the fact that they have a slightly tweaked new model doesn’t affect the way yours sounds! I’m certainly not selling my 594s or McCarty Singlecut.

Mr. Schefman, have you been sleeping in class again? If you had not been, you'd know this is the entire PRS MO.

They have to compete with their old guitars in order to sell new guitars, and they do that by putting exactly the right kind of old on their new, so you have to buy their new because it's better than your old.

Mr. Schefman, have you been sleeping in class again? If you had not been, you'd know this is the entire PRS MO.

They have to compete with their old guitars in order to sell new guitars, and they do that by putting exactly the right kind of old on their new, so you have to buy their new because it's better than your old.
If you are forced to upgrade or trade in the old for the new, is it squid pro quo?

If I'm reading this thread correctly PRS 594 is now sporting a Nitro finish? I thought they went to that faux Nitro Finish that was very thin etc?

If I'm reading this thread correctly PRS 594 is now sporting a Nitro finish? I thought they went to that faux Nitro Finish that was very thin etc?
It’s not exactly clear what CAB nitro means yet (at least to me).

Anyway, I’m pretty stoked about the updates to these models, thought the McCarty in that video sounded great, and I do miss having a 25” scale McCarty. So I just ordered one.

HA!!! Les' quickest order after announcement on record yet!!! You must have Jack Gretz's personal cell number, or maybe you even have a bat signal for him? I thought you had a regular McCarty though, didn't you have one with a maple neck, then trade up for a mahogany neck instead?

I'm not excited about the vintage tuners either. I much prefer the locking thumbscrews, and more than that, most guitars I've played and owned that have vintage style tuners have less low mid punch to the tone, they're thinner and more chimey sounding. Which has its place, but it's not my all time favorite tone. That being said, the new demos sound excellent, and I'm just going to keep an open mind until I try them. I can deal with the old school string changes if the tone is there. I think the split coil sounds on the new 594 demo might have been the best I've ever heard, and of course, the regular HB tones were right up there, too.

The SC594 in Tim and Howard's vid certainly sounded amazing. I liked Howard's discussion of taking some of the bass out of the neck pickup, that's one thing that has bothered me about the 57/08's in my singlecut SE Akesson, the neck pickup can be boomy and not as articulate as I would prefer. On the flip side, that's one more dang guitar I have to try now before I can make a decision, because I had pretty much ruled it out!

Experience 2020 is going to be 594 (or some core instrument) time for me. I committed to less selfish engagements on Experience weekends in 2016 and 2018, one event falls on the even years on the second weekend of June, and the other is every year third weekend, so I was pretty much screwed for June (although I immensely enjoy those other events). 2020 Experience is in May, so I can do both with a clear conscience! My wife has already signed off, in fact she wants to come and get her mother and/or sister to along as well, to check Annapolis and the bay area. Hopefully she doesn't spend as much money as I will! I want to get a good play on a 594 (and now a 594SC as well), regular McCarty, Paul's Guitar, DGT, and probably whatever the Experience limited run is. Oh, and a Special Semi Hollow if by small chance there are any. Oh, and A/B the SE and S2 Custom 24's, so I can get a Custom 24 with a toggle while they're around. Oh, and whatever amp they did the 35th model demos with. Hey, any dealers want to comp my travel expenses???

I use Nitro Cellulous on air craft. It's a traditional finish for linen covered planes. It's a very dourable finish. its often called Nitrate on Air Craft. Very flammable!

I found this on a web search.

CAB Lacquer

CAB lacquer is typically made from a mixture of a cellulose resin called cellulose acetate butyrate (CAB) and acrylic. It is sometimes labeled as CAB-acrylic lacquer. This finish has the same general properties of nitrocellulose lacquer, except it is much whiter and yellows less over time. It also has slightly better heat resistance and is less brittle. CAB lacquer is an ideal finish for light-colored woods because it preserves the light color. However, it is more expensive and lacks some of the clarity of standard lacquer.

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood-finishes/lacquer/

So, maybe regular nitro lacquer over this CAB acrylic lacquer, or vice-versa?

HA!!! Les' quickest order after announcement on record yet!!! You must have Jack Gretz's personal cell number, or maybe you even have a bat signal for him? I thought you had a regular McCarty though, didn't you have one with a maple neck, then trade up for a mahogany neck instead?

I'm not excited about the vintage tuners either. I much prefer the locking thumbscrews, and more than that, most guitars I've played and owned that have vintage style tuners have less low mid punch to the tone, they're thinner and more chimey sounding. Which has its place, but it's not my all time favorite tone. That being said, the new demos sound excellent, and I'm just going to keep an open mind until I try them. I can deal with the old school string changes if the tone is there. I think the split coil sounds on the new 594 demo might have been the best I've ever heard, and of course, the regular HB tones were right up there, too.

The SC594 in Tim and Howard's vid certainly sounded amazing. I liked Howard's discussion of taking some of the bass out of the neck pickup, that's one thing that has bothered me about the 57/08's in my singlecut SE Akesson, the neck pickup can be boomy and not as articulate as I would prefer. On the flip side, that's one more dang guitar I have to try now before I can make a decision, because I had pretty much ruled it out!

Experience 2020 is going to be 594 (or some core instrument) time for me. I committed to less selfish engagements on Experience weekends in 2016 and 2018, one event falls on the even years on the second weekend of June, and the other is every year third weekend, so I was pretty much screwed for June (although I immensely enjoy those other events). 2020 Experience is in May, so I can do both with a clear conscience! My wife has already signed off, in fact she wants to come and get her mother and/or sister to along as well, to check Annapolis and the bay area. Hopefully she doesn't spend as much money as I will! I want to get a good play on a 594 (and now a 594SC as well), regular McCarty, Paul's Guitar, DGT, and probably whatever the Experience limited run is. Oh, and a Special Semi Hollow if by small chance there are any. Oh, and A/B the SE and S2 Custom 24's, so I can get a Custom 24 with a toggle while they're around. Oh, and whatever amp they did the 35th model demos with. Hey, any dealers want to comp my travel expenses???
WTF... I totally missed that.
Wow...

If you are forced to upgrade or trade in the old for the new, is it squid pro quo?

(Groan... I'm not going to "like" that but I have to admit: well played!)

IMHO you're not forced, you're enticed. I don't know the Latin for that.

Back