Tim Pierce Gets His Amps Profiled(!)

The difference between an average profile and a pro profile is night and day. Tim gets it. Look at the grin.

The difference between an average profile and a pro profile is night and day. Tim gets it. Look at the grin.

But he still says right upfront that they sound different, and that he uses real amps unless the client is in a hurry and asks for a no-setup situation.

The difference isn’t hard to hear, though the Kemper is a nice tool.

But he still says right upfront that they sound different, and that he uses real amps unless the client is in a hurry and asks for a no-setup situation.

The difference isn’t hard to hear, though the Kemper is a nice tool.
Two different applications/situations to think about.
Live? Nobody is going to know or care in the audience except for a very few people. Cork sniffing does not necessarily apply
Recording? There "can be" a difference, and cork sniffing definitely can apply.

I LOVE my PRS amps.

OMG!!!! Thank GOD you're alive! When I saw the title, I figured you would have stroked out by now. Thank GOD he didn't say the Kemper was as good as the real things and said all that stuff the first few minutes, or we would have been calling dibs on your gear by now and telling stories about all the good times we've had.

Whew, crisis avoided. Glad you're still here with us! :D

On a serious note: He did emphasize that he has a vault in which he can crank a 4x12. A luxury VERY FEW have in the real world. Even Robin Trower uses overdrives now and said he rarely gets to turn his amp up past 3.

OMG!!!! Thank GOD you're alive! When I saw the title, I figured you would have stroked out by now. Thank GOD he didn't say the Kemper was as good as the real things and said all that stuff the first few minutes, or we would have been calling dibs on your gear by now and telling stories about all the good times we've had.

Whew, crisis avoided. Glad you're still here with us! :D

Haha! Actually, it wouldn’t have mattered much, I would still feel the same way.

If Tim had said he couldn’t tell the difference, I’d have just thought he finally fried his ears after all those years playing, and woulda felt badly for him. ;)

On a serious note: He did emphasize that he has a vault in which he can crank a 4x12. A luxury VERY FEW have in the real world. Even Robin Trower uses overdrives now and said he rarely gets to turn his amp up past 3.

I have a “vault” where I can crank a 2x12; it’s called my crappy basement studio, and it’s in a condo, so it’s nothing out of the ordinary. I actually get in this “vault” with my cabs, and somehow survive to tell the tale - and I’ve been doing it that way since 1966! :)

I use overdrives sometimes, too, mainly as tone shapers. They sound different through a tube amp than through a modeler.

Tim’s vault is just a big plywood box lined with insulation that is very inexpensive to build. Anyone needing that kind of thing can make one in a weekend from Home Depot supplies and a little effort, but I like the way a cab blooms in a room, and often use my mics at least a foot away from the amps plus a room mic ten or so feet away. You can’t do that in one of those boxes, unless it’s a helluva big box!

Last edited:
If Tim had said he couldn’t tell the difference, I’d have just thought he finally fried his ears after all those years playing, and woulda felt badly for him. ;)
LOL I KNEW that's what you'd say! HAHA

What you said after that though, is one of the things that people who ask questions and get different opinions here need to consider. If I'm not mistaken, you said your music room was like 33' x 14'. That is MASSIVE compared to what most guitar players play in at home. Sometimes I wonder what my Mark V would sound like in the living room (which is still only 20'x14') vs in my music room, which is a spare bedroom.... 12x12. I know LOTS of guys at TGP who have high end gear and play in 10x12 or 10x10 rooms. Those big amps can't breath in there, and both hearing and drywall would be damaged if you tried. If I had even a 25 foot long room, I probably wouldn't be considering selling the Mark V now. Or maybe I would, but only after I knew I finally got to really try it at it's best volume range. Big amps saturate a small room with sound unless it's heavily insulated. At that point, turning them up to where they really sound better, DOESN'T sound better because of the room.

And you can say "well yeah, eveyone knows that," but the truth is that for many of us, it becomes a big part of our gear decisions. There are serious gigging guitar players at TGP who leave their big amps at their practice space and play small modeling amps at home. Many of them have said that once you play at those volumes, turning down low at home is such a compromise they'd rather just use a modeler or small amp. And that playing big amps in small rooms doesn't work well.

Just presenting opinions on this. It's not always "I'll use whatever sounds best." There are other considerations. If I had a room big enough to open up a big amp driving a 4x12 at home, I probably wouldn't be as interested in modelers or lower watt tube amps. Headphones are the devil. ONLY for recording for me. I maybe play the AmpliFire once a month or so with headphones. Can't stand it. MUCH rather play at low volume through studio monitors of the wife is in bed. Just sounds better.

Again, just my opinions. I'm sure they would be a bit different if I had a big long room to play in. Heck here's another example of how big of a deal that is. I love mixing speakers. I have played my Archon for almost two weeks through a mix of Emi Private Jack and Governor. I think I'm going to drop a Greenback style speaker in the PRS 2x12 cab because the Archon sounds best for me with this mix, compared to two V30s. 2 V30s are more aggressive, and would cut better if you needed it. V30/Greenback style gives more a mix of boutique modern and vintage. I've discussed this with Jim at Scumback and he seemed to completely agree. If you want to play metal, use V30s. If you want to play anything from hard rock and metal to classic rock etc,, mix the two. But, those speakers don't "meld" into one tone until you get back from them a bit. Even at 6-8' in my room, I can still clearly hear two speakers that sound different. Start to get 12-15 feet away and they blend into one tone beautifully.

Sorry, waiting for tech support to finish an upgrade on my work PC so I got on a ramble and was rolling down hill. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 100 watt Marshalls, and a 15/7 watt Orange amp with 2 4X12's, 1 PRS 2X12 and a 1X12. I bring to practice the amp that makes the most sense. At home I always have a half stack mic'ed into my monitor PA for nice full wall of sound, even at low levels.

With that said I also use my Mac and Garage Band as a modeler for quick and easy low volume practice and song learning through my studio monitors. Classic Drive and my 594 are a great combo.

I am a tube amp guy but as said above in a live band situation , gig or practice, a Kemper would be a nice tool to have. It would be especially nice if you needed many different types of tones. The band I play in does not require that variety.

LOL I KNEW that's what you'd say! HAHA

What you said after that though, is one of the things that people who ask questions and get different opinions here need to consider. If I'm not mistaken, you said your music room was like 33' x 14'. That is MASSIVE compared to what most guitar players play in at home.

Wait...so you’re saying not I’m not the sole authority on everything, for everyone, always?

That maybe I’m not always right?

Or that there may be other perfectly legitimate points of view? :eek:

C’mon man. We all know that’s practically impossible. ;)

I know. And I am trying to get on board with all that. It's just, sometimes my ears or wallet say something different than yours. Now, my first reaction is always "Les must be right," of course. But sometimes I get caught up in my own delusions of grandeur and I disagree. Besides, I think that is why the internet was invented in the first place. So you could get online and say anything you want, right or wrong, and nobody could do anything about it. And sometimes I get caught up in that like many people do.

Trust me, in person I'm a heck of a nice guy. It's only on the internet that I pretend to know more, be smarter, be better at pretty much everything, than I really am. And I thank Al Gore every day for inventing the internet just so I could live out these fantasies. :D

I know. And I am trying to get on board with all that. It's just, sometimes my ears or wallet say something different than yours. Now, my first reaction is always "Les must be right," of course. But sometimes I get caught up in my own delusions of grandeur and I disagree. Besides, I think that is why the internet was invented in the first place. So you could get online and say anything you want, right or wrong, and nobody could do anything about it. And sometimes I get caught up in that like many people do.

Trust me, in person I'm a heck of a nice guy. It's only on the internet that I pretend to know more, be smarter, be better at pretty much everything, than I really am. And I thank Al Gore every day for inventing the internet just so I could live out these fantasies. :D
Nine out of ten guys named Dave agree with this.

Oh boy, if you only knew... in the last week alone, I've rescued a cat from a burning home (and I don't even like cats!), sent large private donations to A) help feed children in several third world countries, B) help hurricane victims in the U.S. and the islands, C) the SPCA, and I've played a Van Halen-Al DiMeola Mashup, note for note, beat Michael Jordan and Larry Bird in 2 on 1, and won the indoor track and field decathalon in the over 30 age group, despite the fact that I'm really almost double that age, but I put my age down as 37, and they believed it.

I also: drive race cars, own a recording studio, am releasing a solo guitar album soon, jammed with Van Halen at his home a few days ago because he needed some inspiration, own a modeling agency (this one has great fringe benefits... if you know what I mean) and am an internet comedian.

Yet, all in all, it was a slow week. On the internet.

Oh boy, if you only knew... in the last week alone, I've rescued a cat from a burning home (and I don't even like cats!), sent large private donations to A) help feed children in several third world countries, B) help hurricane victims in the U.S. and the islands, C) the SPCA, and I've played a Van Halen-Al DiMeola Mashup, note for note, beat Michael Jordan and Larry Bird in 2 on 1, and won the indoor track and field decathalon in the over 30 age group, despite the fact that I'm really almost double that age, but I put my age down as 37, and they believed it.

I also: drive race cars, own a recording studio, am releasing a solo guitar album soon, jammed with Van Halen at his home a few days ago because he needed some inspiration, own a modeling agency (this one has great fringe benefits... if you know what I mean) and am an internet comedian.

Yet, all in all, it was a slow week. On the internet.

On the Internet, I’m immortal.

Back