Tilting an Amp

Tucson Thump

Mint Heavy Relic
I have the Sonzera on an amp stand to raise it. The amp is tilted back a bit. Occurred to me that the heat is now directed a bit more toward the front control panel than the back vent panel.

Anybody think this could be a problem?

I wouldn't think so. Tilted amp stands are a common practice and a great method for decoupling from the floor to remove excess bass. Lots of people prefer the tilt because they like the sound of the amp coming towards their head.

Fender amps used to come with tilt-back legs, and lots of the old ones equipped with them are still around after 50-60 years.

If it bugs you, though, you could always put something under the back edge of the amp to reduce the tilt.

They used to make a stand that also directed sound from the back of the amp to the front. It's called "the enhancer". I picked one up on eBay to use with my tweed deluxe. It actually increased the head room and overall volume.

Those Fender tilt-back legs can be bought and put on any combo amp. Did it myself a couple of times.

Those Fender tilt-back legs can be bought and put on any combo amp. Did it myself a couple of times.

Yup. I have a gas-sprung tilt back leg Mesa used to make that can be used with any amp because it has a clamp that creates a temporary attachment. It lets you adjust the angle. Pretty slick little device, actually!

They used to make a stand that also directed sound from the back of the amp to the front. It's called "the enhancer". I picked one up on eBay to use with my tweed deluxe. It actually increased the head room and overall volume.

All molded plastic, slanted, with a port for the sound to travel through, from open back to front, under the amp...??? I remember those things...

All molded plastic, slanted, with a port for the sound to travel through, from open back to front, under the amp...??? I remember those things...
That's the one! I saw it demoed at the Dallas guitar show in 2002 the guy was asking $1000. Fast forward to 2010 it was on eBay for $100. So I had to buy it.

You are a VERY creative guy, Django!

Les....Thanks. Hope to be able to post some pictures ,of some "full blown" custom cabinets soon. (I am awaiting delivery of the speakers). I CAN do some things that are fully finished, not just quick and dirty plywood gadgets.

A recent take on a "grab and go". Very small. The 8" speaker is tilted back 20 degrees, which the grill hides. In a recent rehearsal, it acquitted itself quite well against a Swart AST Pro and a vintage Princeton.

Les....Thanks. Hope to be able to post some pictures ,of some "full blown" custom cabinets soon. (I am awaiting delivery of the speakers). I CAN do some things that are fully finished, not just quick and dirty plywood gadgets.

A recent take on a "grab and go". Very small. The 8" speaker is tilted back 20 degrees, which the grill hides. In a recent rehearsal, it acquitted itself quite well against a Swart AST Pro and a vintage Princeton.

Looks great

I haven't made anything since my studio furniture 20 years ago, and even that was mostly my brother with me serving as his lovely assistant.

Props to you, man! Here's the obligatory shot of the studio furniture we made; it's painted black oak veneer over plywood, with maple edging and Formica countertops. Hard to see in this pic, but it's really lasted. We also welded the legs together.

What I really, really want to do is build a nice wooden rack for my amp heads with open fronts and backs, and rack spaces below, like you see on road case manufacturers' sites, only 86 the road case look, and have a nicely finished cabinet on wheels. My brother has the woodworking tools and skills to help me do it, and I've been mulling it over for only...um...ok...like, oh, 15 years or so...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Back