Tightest PRS neck pickup?

helmi

single & satin
What would you guys say is the tightest, clearest, least flabby neck pup PRS makes, or has made?

I must say, I had a Mira and was amazed at the neck pup. but, do you think it would stay the same in a thick body singlecut?

Yeah. I have my Mira bass in this:

YnfMD0e.jpg

It’s still a pretty defined and brighter pickup. I’m sure the maple neck and ebony board contribute to it, but not by that much, especially since you’d think having fabric glued to the top would do something to the tone to dull it or make it less treble-y.

Remember, Mira and 245 pickups are also the same except for the covers on 245s, so there is a precedent for them being in Singlecuts.

I’m not sure if it’s gonna be a winner for your guitar, and I will say I thought it had more personality in the KL33 I took it out of, but for what you’re describing... it might be the ticket. And they’re cheap AF used (for PRS pickups that is).

I was gonna suggest that the neck pickup in my 408 is super non-flabby as far as neck humbuckers go. However, I'm guessing some of the narrowfields or even the single coils in the SS would not be flabby either.

However, I gather that you're probably looking specifically for a "standard-sized" humbucker and not what I just mentioned (?).

I always thought the #7 neck pickup in the original 2000-2001 Singlecuts held it together really well, especially with a gainy amp like the Marshall DSLs that were out at the time, or a Mesa.

They were moderately bright and hot, and didn't have a lot of bottom end -- so it matched well with that style of amp.

I always thought the #7 neck pickup in the original 2000-2001 Singlecuts held it together really well, especially with a gainy amp like the Marshall DSLs that were out at the time, or a Mesa.

They were moderately bright and hot, and didn't have a lot of bottom end -- so it matched well with that style of amp.

The #7 in my 2019 S2 Singlecut fits this description.

I agree with the #7 suggestion. Not as bloated as other pickups can be, and can handle fatter amp tones without becoming undefined.

I really like the dragon 2, but it has a lot of precision, but I am not sure it is the tightest

Back