Tiger eye or quilt top?

Tracy Goldstein

What is your preference as far as the maple top goes?

Mine is obvious as seen with my Avatar.

PRS grammar police alert...

Tiger eye is a private stock color.

The top figuring is usually described as flame (tiger stripes), quilt, Birdseye, or salted.

I've also seen the term 'flilt' used for a combo flame/quilt top.

Quilt is my preference, but there is something just so classic / timeless about a killer flame top...

I like both, but really deep striation book-matched chevron fiddleback is tough to beat.
It also depends on the guitar. I'm a much bigger fan of fiddleback on Les Pauls.

Also, I much prefer a great book match over a one piece.

Last edited:
I like both, but really deep striation book-matched chevron fiddleback is tough to beat.
It also depends on the guitar. I'm a much bigger fan of fiddleback on Les Pauls.

Fiddleback has a whole different meaning in Arkansas which no one likes...

fiddleback_spider_9.jpg

OP, Mostly Flame but it depends on color and some quilts look amazing.

My wife was a victim (survivor :eek:) of a nasty brown recluse bite.

I was to, although mine wasn't that bad. My leg was just seeping puss and rotten skin and I went to the hospital after a couple of days and they cut the top of it off. Luckily for me the infection started going out instead of down and when they cut the top of it off the got all the poison left in my leg. I've seen picture of it and know it could have been way worse.

I have also been bitten by a black widow which wasn't fun either.

Last edited:
We had a Cu 22 in Natural/Amber in the shop a while back that had an insane Birds-eye maple top...not Tiger-eye, but gorgeous none-the-less...As long as the figure shows, I'll take either!!!!

I love the look of quilts, but all I own are flames. If I ever go PS, and select my own wood, I'd most likely go with a quilt.

Quilt rules if it is a really wide and deep quilt, but the quilt tops can be hit or miss. Really killer or really bleh. I have not yet had a killer quilt top but drool over some of the ones I see.

Back