Three Dog Night or Stray Cats? Go!

Nice - crossing time lines makes it more interesting. I really liked Three Dog Night in their time, but the Stray Cats were much more compelling.

So in this matter I am a cat person.

A great friend of mine was seriously into the Stray Cats and took me to a gig of theirs. So I have good deal of knowledge of their stuff. Even so, it needs to be 3 dog night. For the songs.

Stray Cats because I've seen Brian Setzer with his orchestra live a couple of times over the several past years and he is a 10 top world class guitar player.

3 Dog Night, because I didn't seal a Stray Cats album from my older brother when I was in Jr. High.

Eric Ducking Flaptone
31925147_10216415051432295_6421721026647818240_n.jpg

I heard an interesting story about Three Dog Night's song Shambala, although I'm not sure if it's true A guy name Daniel Moore wrote Shambala and gave it to his friend, BJ Stevenson, to record. A week later Three Dog Night recorded the same song and knocked Stevenson off the charts with their version of Shambala. So Moore rewrote the song with different lyrics and gave it to Stevenson to record. That song was My Maria.

Same song? You decide.

Three Dog Night, Paws Down! I always liked their stuff, a true Classic Rock Band. Speaking of cats and dogs, don't forget to spay or neuter your pets, and it's raining.

Last edited:
I gotta say Cats, even though I didn't care for them at the time. I was too busy with Maiden! Having matured (well, at least musically) since the mid 80s, I have true respect for Setzer, and his talent. I'm more a fan of his work with Brian Setzer Orchestra, and make it a point to see them whenever they roll through the Chicago area. I really enjoy the little Rock-a-Billy "intermission" they do. Him, standup bass, drummer with a 3 piece set.......rock on! Plus, he usually has some cool Rock-a-billy band open.

Last edited:
What!?!?! Then why do we choose?
And how does a poll preclude "the stories behind the choices"?

Seeing a poll would mean nothing to me. A final vote with Nirvana beating Dream Theater 10-2 isn't going to change the way I feel about either. It's about reading why people choose who they do that I understand more about their musical preferences, backgrounds, etc.

Besides, in other similarly themed posts, there have been pictures of Margo Robbie, Sofia Vergara, Julie Bowen, Barbara Eden and Elizabeth Montgomery. What more could any man want? Ain't no "poll" going to give you that. That there's what you call "real entertainment!" ;) Even Scott looked twice at a few of those pics, and we all know, if he gets caught, he's a goner!

I'm more curious about the stories behind the choices.

I'll be more descriptive in my future answers.

I'll take the Dogs of the Cats because I never liked Setzer, a great player but he never came off sincere to me. It always seemed like he was constantly wearing a nostalgia suit and playing licks I'd already heard a million times before. 3 Dog is not a big love of mine either but the vocalist had some uniqueness, and that goes miles with me.

Back