Thoughts on using, or not using, the split coil option.

I never used them until I got my first american model, and yeah it's handy having it. I find I don't really use it for recording or writing music but I flick to it often while noodling and jamming.

It's a good quality split. It's got enough kick in it that it's not like rolling your volume off when you turn it on.

They will never sound like good old strat or tele style pickups, but they do sound good. Just think of it as another flavour, just another thing the guitar does, not that it's trying to be something else.

They will never sound like good old strat or tele style pickups...

I guess that depends on the model. I have the 509 which has 5 'single' coils with two together at the neck and bridge for the humbucker which can be split with the flick of a switch. As such these give a very tele/strat like tone. Maybe the 509 (and 513) are the exception compared to the CU24, 594 etc that have 'humbuckers' - I know these are basically two single coils but I think were created first and foremost for their 'Humbucker' tone and then tapped/split.

Just watch the video on the tones of a 509 and you will see how it can deliver the single coil tones most associated with strats/teles

I guess that depends on the model. I have the 509 which has 5 'single' coils with two together at the neck and bridge for the humbucker which can be split with the flick of a switch. As such these give a very tele/strat like tone. Maybe the 509 (and 513) are the exception compared to the CU24, 594 etc that have 'humbuckers' - I know these are basically two single coils but I think were created first and foremost for their 'Humbucker' tone and then tapped/split.

Just watch the video on the tones of a 509 and you will see how it can deliver the single coil tones most associated with strats/teles

Impressive! Especially for a non bolt-on neck (I think its set right?). I suppose the longer scale helps too. Those are excellent sounds.

Impressive! Especially for a non bolt-on neck (I think its set right?). I suppose the longer scale helps too. Those are excellent sounds.

It is a set neck and does have a longer scale length at 25.5" which is the same as Fender Strat/Tele - certainly longer than my McCarty 594 but I think the tones are more likely to be because of the 5 pick-ups. It is a 5 pick-up model and is part of the reason its called a 509. The 09 refers the number of potential combinations and tone variations. Obviously, when in the middle selection of the 5 way, the middle pick-up is exactly the same regardless of whether you have split the neck/bridge pick up - so that's why its 9 and not '10'.

The sound is much more reminiscent of a tele/strat because these are proper 'splits' so you are using just a 'single' coil. Its the closest to a 'super-strat' too with the H-S-H set up but it can also be a S-S-S, H-S-S or S-S-H too.

Anyway, the point I was trying to illustrate is that there is a PRS that can give the quality single coil tones and, if you are after something 'closer' to the strat/tele, then look at the 509. A CU24 or McCarty 594 with coil taps aren't going to give you that but that's not a 'bad' thing either. It does give you more 'tones' to play with though and they do have their own 'voice'.

Some of Fenders tones, being bright and with more attack could come from the choice of using brighter woods like maple for the neck but a well fitted/tight bolt on neck is better than a poorly fitted set-neck with lots of glue if you want that resonance to carry through the body. I believe, like Paul does, that the quality of the guitar and its tone isn't down to just 1 thing (like the wood or the neck joint) but the combination of everything inc Nut, tuners, wood, bridge etc. I am sure the 509 was designed to give the quality single coil performance that guitarists who may prefer the super strats/strats/tele tone in the same way that the 594 was designed to give those guitarists seeking the more vintage humbucker tone with a bit more versatility with coil tapping and the quality and consistency we expect from PRS.

It is a set neck and does have a longer scale length at 25.5" which is the same as Fender Strat/Tele - certainly longer than my McCarty 594 but I think the tones are more likely to be because of the 5 pick-ups. It is a 5 pick-up model and is part of the reason its called a 509. The 09 refers the number of potential combinations and tone variations. Obviously, when in the middle selection of the 5 way, the middle pick-up is exactly the same regardless of whether you have split the neck/bridge pick up - so that's why its 9 and not '10'.

The sound is much more reminiscent of a tele/strat because these are proper 'splits' so you are using just a 'single' coil. Its the closest to a 'super-strat' too with the H-S-H set up but it can also be a S-S-S, H-S-S or S-S-H too.

Anyway, the point I was trying to illustrate is that there is a PRS that can give the quality single coil tones and, if you are after something 'closer' to the strat/tele, then look at the 509. A CU24 or McCarty 594 with coil taps aren't going to give you that but that's not a 'bad' thing either. It does give you more 'tones' to play with though and they do have their own 'voice'.

Some of Fenders tones, being bright and with more attack could come from the choice of using brighter woods like maple for the neck but a well fitted/tight bolt on neck is better than a poorly fitted set-neck with lots of glue if you want that resonance to carry through the body. I believe, like Paul does, that the quality of the guitar and its tone isn't down to just 1 thing (like the wood or the neck joint) but the combination of everything inc Nut, tuners, wood, bridge etc. I am sure the 509 was designed to give the quality single coil performance that guitarists who may prefer the super strats/strats/tele tone in the same way that the 594 was designed to give those guitarists seeking the more vintage humbucker tone with a bit more versatility with coil tapping and the quality and consistency we expect from PRS.

Well I did search long and hard for Fender tones (and made a couple of mistakes) but I have found that guitar now. Nevertheless, the 509 is a surprise and I've learned something new. Thanks for all the info :)

I'm a stone humbucker player, but I've pulled the pin on the coil cut in several situations:

- Cover band / jam thing, where I need to get a thinner Strat-alike rhythm tone for a few songs. It opens up more sonic territory for the other guitarist, and the singer. (I'll step back - I'm the rhythm player. And a Hendrix chord like E7#9 needs less pickup, not more.)

- I needed a twangy tone for a country-esque song project, and I don't own a single-coil guitar (did I mention I'm a stone humbucker player?). I pulled the coil cut on a PRS McCarty and got by. Add reverb and tremelo, and it could pass, more or less.

Useful as a sometime food for me, and very handy on occasion. What I find interesting is that Gibson started adding this coil-cut feature to some of its Les Pauls about 5 or 10 years ago. ;)

-K

Curiously, I find myself using the split on my McCarty quite often just as a solo noodler. Like others, I'm a single coil, quack kinda guy at heart. The only drawback to it is that it is the older style for PRS and the volume drop is annoying.

Not sure I can add much more than what's been said but, we recently started playing Sultans Of Swing in my band and splitting the bucker in that song really gets me close to the sound of the record. Also, we do quite a few 4 chord clean songs and splits work really well with a touch of chorus. And like Garrett said roll the tone down, I set it to around 7. Also, the volume can be used to give some extra flavor too.

I recently put a Duncan JB (bridge) and a 59 (neck) combo in my SE Custom 24 and it really sounds much better than the stock PUPs.

I never used them until I got my first american model, and yeah it's handy having it. I find I don't really use it for recording or writing music but I flick to it often while noodling and jamming.

It's a good quality split. It's got enough kick in it that it's not like rolling your volume off when you turn it on.

They will never sound like good old strat or tele style pickups, but they do sound good. Just think of it as another flavour, just another thing the guitar does, not that it's trying to be something else.
Agreed, splitting a humbucker never sounds like a good strat, just another flavor to enjoy.

I rarely use the coil splits (live), but when I do, I tend to use an equalizer pedal to brighten up the sound (I have it preset so that when I turn the pedal on the tone is brightened up), so that I don't have to fiddle with amp settings.
At home, I experiment a lot, but for the most part, if I want a single coil sound, I will reach for a single coil guitar.

Me as well! I could never do those fast licks at the end of the song without a pick, which kind of ruins things tonewise

Then you'd hate the way I do it :D I use a pick through the whole thing. ;)

Back