Thoughts on the SE Paul's Guitar

Texas_minor_blues

Rosewood or Bust
The Core Paul's guitar is just not really feasible right now so looking at the SE Paul's Guitar the sad thing is that I have yet to come across one in the wild so i have had to depend on YouTube for tone samples and such. So now I come to the Hive mind to get your collective thoughts on this instrument.
I know some will tell me to save up for a Core and while that "could" be an option down the road I am more interested in how the SE model stacks up. I am not above replacing / modding the instrument but any and all insight is welcome

The SE is a solid instrument and with very little patience good deals pop up pretty regularly.

That said, core it's not but this isn't a knock against the se at all. Go for it!

I cant really compare it to the core version, as I don't have a core one yet but do own an SE, but from what I can tell...besides the aesthetic touches, the biggest difference would be the pickups. From audio clips I've heard, the core pickups are cleaner and more articulate.

The SE version is a phenomenal instrument. For being roughly 25% the price, you get a huge value. The only knocks I have against the stock configuration is the nut and the tuning pegs. I've said it plenty, but the synth bronze material for the nut is not my favorite. The tuning pegs were ok, but I do wish they were better quality. Otherwise, mine feels worth twice what I paid for it and the bridge is the same one from the core. I highly recommend the SE version, you will fall in love with it.

The Core Paul's guitar is just not really feasible right now so looking at the SE Paul's Guitar the sad thing is that I have yet to come across one in the wild so i have had to depend on YouTube for tone samples and such. So now I come to the Hive mind to get your collective thoughts on this instrument.
I know some will tell me to save up for a Core and while that "could" be an option down the road I am more interested in how the SE model stacks up. I am not above replacing / modding the instrument but any and all insight is welcome
This instrument is on my list of options for later this year, currently waiting delivery of the SW SE Custom 24-08.

The lack of availability of certain makes and models of guitars in local brick and mortar establishments has been an issue for me in my area.

I purchased an S2 594 solely based on reviewing specs on the PRS website, listening to youtube demos (not the best audio quality but with good headphones and monitors I could assess the tone), and asking questions here. Making a purchasing decision this way can be done.

The other consideration is buying from a store that has a fair return policy like GC or Sweetwater..

I have both the SE Paul’s Guitar and the Core Paul’s Guitar. Both are great guitars. it is true that the SE does not sound exactly like the Core version, however, the SE does a good job of providing tones that have a similar character to the Core version.

For most live gigs I play the SE and leave my Core 10 Top version in the studio. Risking my Core version at a live gig for the kind of money one receives at small to medium sized gigs is not smart.

So, I would say go for the SE Paul’s Guitar, and perhaps consider upgrading the stock tuners to the PRS SE locking tuners after you see if you like the stock tuners, and enjoy it. It is a great guitar in its own right.

I just bought one and its quite light weight, feels nice in the hand. Mine has no string buzz, no sharp-frets at all.
Looking to get to know it more later on.
Mine was flawlessly finished and perfectly setup right out of the box. PRS‘s import brand guitars are different from those of other manufactures (such as Squire, Epiphone, Etc.) in that they are built to very high standards, much like those in place at the USA factory. I realize that the materials of construction are not the premier parts used on Core guitars, but the are high quality overall. The only parts that I find could be improved is the tuners; the stock SE tuners are serviceable and adequate, but compared to PRS Phase III Locking Tuners there are no where close in quality…where most other major components are in the ballpark.

Really good guitar, but not a fan of the wide-fat neck. Just one man's opinion but PRS has quite enough wide-fat neck guitars. I'm an SE buyer, maybe an S2. An SE Paul's with a different neck would be an easy purchase.

And here I love Wide Fat and wish for less of the pattern thin that is pretty much standard for the custom 24 nowadays.

In regards to SE tuners: 2 of my last SEs had huge play in the screws that held the tuners. It caused the tuners to wobble. I have no idea how this happened. The screws would not secure the tuners at all. They kept spinning. I had to get wider screws

rUuDXHx.jpg

I’m a big fan of dropping in phase 3 tuners. Paul was right about brass touching the strings! Not to mention this thing is always in tune!
FVgMHer.jpg

And here I love Wide Fat and wish for less of the pattern thin that is pretty much standard for the custom 24 nowadays.

In regards to SE tuners: 2 of my last SEs had huge play in the screws that held the tuners. It caused the tuners to wobble. I have no idea how this happened. The screws would not secure the tuners at all. They kept spinning. I had to get wider screws
Next time you have wobbly screws, just squirt wood glue in the hole, let it dry, and redrill.

Next time you have wobbly screws, just squirt wood glue in the hole, let it dry, and redrill.
I’ve also learned toothpicks are your friends lol. But I have found the SE screws are easy to strip. Probably some cheap zinc. Higher levels have better screws

I’ve also learned toothpicks are your friends lol. But I have found the SE screws are easy to strip. Probably some cheap zinc. Higher levels have better screws
Yeah, youre probably right, cheaper zinc stuff. I tend to always change all of it out, on SE's I get. Bad screws lead to issues down the road.

I've just got a '23 faded blue. Because it isn't costing several thousand dollars it's an instrument I can enjoy with no restraint or worry. The pickups sound phenomenal (I usually don't like SE pickups), plays exceptional and the electronics are simple but offer great versatility.

This might be a weird take but having gone around the block with a bunch of core PRS that offer core level features like the Paul's SE such as the special semi hollow and the 408 I still reach for the SE over all my other cores. It's my favorite PRS.

This might be a weird take but having gone around the block with a bunch of core PRS that offer core level features like the Paul's SE such as the special semi hollow and the 408 I still reach for the SE over all my other cores. It's my favorite PRS.
Exactly! I’ve done 408 and Paul’s Core. This SE to me sounds better in bridge humbucker mode than either of them. It sounds p90, and i appreciate that. The Core Paul has a more woody single coil neck sound, very strat like! Hell, the core Paul sounds better than my strats for single coil sounds. But the SE is very good in its own right.

Reactions: OGN
Sweetwater is blowing out the 2023 models (blue fade and the ambers). $300 off. Crazy good deal. That’s a better sale price than when the SE sale occurred last fall.

One day I visited a local guitar center to buy a SE 24-08 eriza Verde. I needed a humbucker solid guitar for a rock/metal music.

Then there was a SE Paul's guitar beside. I was almost going to check out the green 24-08 but I was curious. I never heard of Paul's before and had no idea but was curious then plugged it into an amp... then it blowed my mind!

I ordered Paul's guitar online just because I didn't like the gold black burst finish.

But I still can't forget the moment I was amazed by the power of Paul's guitar. After playing it I never googled 24-08 model ever again. I am curios the core version as well.

Hey @wesnjazz, It's amazing how sometimes the unexpected can lead to the most incredible discoveries. The moment when you plugged in the SE Paul's guitar and it blew your mind must have been unforgettable. It's fantastic that you followed your curiosity and ended up finding a guitar that resonates with you so deeply.

Back