Thoughts on the new 594

While I’m sure a lot of people will appreciate the 2020 specs, I personally also love the previous model. The main reason is the phase III locking tuners, which I prefer to the vintage style. The second reason is that, while TCI tuning is nice, I almost always use full humbuckers on the 594. If I want a single coil sound I switch to a Danocaster or FCS strat.

For sure, chasing “The Burst” tone is a lucrative business model for guitar manufacturers.

They’re still out there for less, but get snapped up real quick.

Everything’s getting more expensive... except Santana’s. Those seem to have dropped in price over the years beginning with the 25th anniversary ones.

I've still never (almost never) seen an actual Santana model in person, much less actually played one.

Last edited:
Yep. PRS guitars are getting way, way expensive. I'm basically priced out of the core lineup, unless I want to live incredibly frugally for 6 months or whatever. My last PRS was the silver sky, which is reasonably priced, but my last core was my used SC245, which I still paid $3500 for (CDN). That's a lot for a 10 year old guitar.

In 2011 I bought a core studio model for $2700 CDN. Now the core CU24 (pretty similar model) starts in at $4700 CDN (non 10 top). The 35th anniv Cu24 is $5600 CDN (with a 10 top).

I think I will end up getting a core model at some point, but after that I think I am not going to be able to afford more PRS guitars. Also, I simply don't like the SE or S2 line (except maybe the Vela).

PRS are a big company, and getting bigger, and their core wait time is only going to go up, which means their prices are only going to keep going up. Good for them, but not for me.
I'm in a similar boat. I have 1 Core PRS (Spruce-top HB) and an older CE24, both purchased used. I'm priced out of Core models at this point. The most expensive PRS I've ever bought new was an S2. I'd love to have a 594 Semi-Hollow, but that seems very unlikely for right now :(

I've still never (almost never) seen an actual Santana model in person, mush less actually played one.
Same.

Last edited:
I think you are on to something, it's the smell that can't be reproduced!

In 1992 I turned down the opportunity to buy a ‘53 Gold Top with a trapeze tailpiece and P-90s for $3500 because of that smell that can’t be duplicated.

Probably not the best move on my part, huh?

I should’ve held my nose and bought the damn thing.

Absolutely.

I used to have a strict rule. NEVER pay more than $4000.00 for a guitar. Now days MSRP or MAP (whatever you want to call it) is routinely crossing over that mark. I use the price of my 11/11/11 Custom 24 when it was brand new as a reference point. When I bought it as a GC, it was the most expensive and best looking PRS that store had in stock, and the selling price began with the number 2.

I’ve never paid more than $300,000 for a guitar. I’m strict on that.

Or, you know, a lot less than $300,000, either. ;)

I think the previous incarnation of the 594 will still be valuable (certainly is to me even though I love what I’m hearing from the newer ones), because lots of folks prefer the locking tuners, others don’t want to baby a nitro finish if they go in and out of cold weather with the instrument, and pickups can always be swapped out.

There will always be people trying to talk sellers down with, “It’s not the latest model,” so dealers and individual sellers on the used market may discount the older ones for a short time, but it’s not like that doesn’t happen anyway.

It’s a weird “chicken or the egg” thing with them. Do stores not carry them because they’re not popular, or are they not popular because stores don’t carry them?

I think it’s the latter, but I can see why dealers primarily order the classic Custom shape; it probably sells better.

The few experiences I’ve had with the Santana is that they’re terrific guitars.

I don’t think so. They are amazing pickups in their own right.

I agree. And if you use them primarily in humbucking mode, the new ones won’t really even matter. I mean it sounds good on paper to be able to switch and get a single coil sound, and a good one at that, but I still prefer to use a strat or tele for that.

People (some excluded, of course) are so fickle! ;) A month ago, you would have been hard-pressed to find many folks who thought the pups in a 594 were not absolutely creamy-dreamy! Now, we've been told that there's something better, and suddenly everyone is second guessing their own opinions. I think the internet has so conditioned everyone to needing to have the very latest and greatest of everything, that we immediately assume that what we have is now inferior. There, I said it. :) And I hope we can all still be friends.

People (some excluded, of course) are so fickle! ;) A month ago, you would have been hard-pressed to find many folks who thought the pups in a 594 were not absolutely creamy-dreamy! Now, we've been told that there's something better, and suddenly everyone is second guessing their own opinions. I think the internet has so conditioned everyone to needing to have the very latest and greatest of everything, that we immediately assume that what we have is now inferior. There, I said it. :) And I hope we can all still be friends.
I just bought a 594 Semi-Hollow... the Leese Pierce video certainly inspired me! I wish we could buy the 58/15LTs... I would put them in a 1998 CE22 that I just got... but the Dragon 2 pickups don’t sound bad... what do y’all think? Should I upgrade the pickups? To what? Thanks...

Thanks for all the great points everyone! I was sitting here thinking that they were still the modified Phase III tuners, just with tulip buttons, like on the DGT! I didn't realize they actually went back to the old McCarty tuners. They made such a big deal out of those tuners too, what with the extra screw that "connected" the gear and shaft so they vibrated as one, and now for 2020 they're not on any of the models anymore? What's the party line on those? That the old Kluson style tuners are lighter in weight?

I also didn't realize the TCI system applied more to the tapped sounds. Really good to know!

Finally, it's a shame that many can't find a Santana in the wild. I must admit that I'm surprised they don't sell very well because they are literally the model that put PRS on the map. They are incredible guitars. Sergio and I co-sign this.

Since the CU24 is the most popular model by far, does that mean that most people get turned onto PRS because of rock players? So many of those early-2000s nu-metal bands are so cringy nowadays. I guess that was before the Silver Sky as well - it's gotta be the most popular model now.

Ok, I'll spout off then duck! Why is Paul chasing the sound of a Les Paul! I own an R8 and when I want "that" sound I play it, but Most of the time I want that PRS sweet singing voice so I play PRS. Yes it's thinner and thicker at the same time.

What I did like is the return of non locking tuners for me at least on a non-tremolo guitar.

The 594 is a fabulous instrument so I will get one, but I've been playing a PRS since 1988 and love that focused PRS sound.

I just bought a 594 Semi-Hollow... the Leese Pierce video certainly inspired me! I wish we could buy the 58/15LTs... I would put them in a 1998 CE22 that I just got... but the Dragon 2 pickups don’t sound bad... what do y’all think? Should I upgrade the pickups? To what? Thanks...

Cool did you get doublecut or singlecut? I have this completely unfounded theory that the singlecut is more conducive to being a semi-hollow because there's more wood and it's thicker but I have nothing to back that up.

The Dragons seem similar to the Santanas, in that they are very thick and on the hotter side with more midrange. I've often tried to get cleaner sounds out of my Santanas, so i get where you're coming from. If you want something with more clarity and vintage output like the 58/15 LTs, definitely look at pickups like the Duncan Seth Lover, Lollar Low-Wind Imperials, and pickups like that. Not sure how great they do being split, however.

I spent much of my childhood making the argument that as the second child I was the latest and greatest and my older brother was inferior. Took a lot of beatings from my older inferior brother for that.

I still love my 594 and wouldn't want to sell at all but I have limited space and if I were to look at buying a new 594, at some point I could be faced with deciding which to keep. It wouldn't be because 1 is worse or 1 is older, it would be because its perhaps too similar and to expand my tonal palette, owning 2 guitars that are too alike would mean one would have to go to make room for the 'new' guitar coming in.

Ideally, I would much prefer Locking tuners but the reality is that it wouldn't need to be an urgent change and its an easily reversible change too - hopefully I can find a great set that has the same footprint so any marks if I choose to reverse my decision, it doesn't leave ugly marks. I do want a hollowbody which maybe different enough to warrant buying another 594 but the new changes aren't enough to make me order one or think about replacing my current 594

Again its not that I would sell my old 594 to get a new 594 but if I bought a new 594, I know that at some point I may have to decide which one to sell IF I had to because I don't have room for 2 guitars that are that similar.

Back