Thoughts on SE Zach Myers vs Paul's guitar?

Which one?

• Paul's

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Zach Myers

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

Big D

Hi all,

Any thoughts on the differences and preferences of each one?

I'm a returning guitarist and being at pretty bad shape at the moment :confused:, already having a Gibson SG (maybe will be sold) and a Squier Stratocaster. I'm looking for extra motivation!

The only point in favor that I could really see as an advantage is the satin neck finish of the Zach, which I'm not sure why is not like that in every instrument ever made. I also have chubby and short fingers if that makes any difference.

I might not be able to test both side by side anytime soon but I could get a used Zach Myers for half of what the Paul's guitar is new so I'm trying to get opinions on both.

cheers!

Last edited:
They’re apples and oranges, semi hollow vs solid body. The Zach Meyers has a shorter scale, more like your SG. If you like the sg scale length more then a longer one, that might be the deciding factor. Listen to every available video of them both. You really can’t miss either way.

Despite a few obvious differences, where the rubber hits the road I think they’re actually quite similar. Both are very resonant, the ZM being semi hollow, and I think the Paul’s SE uses top grade dry, light, very resonant wood (totally a hunch, but if you’ve played one, you know), and both use vintage Kluson style tuners, which I think also contribute to a more airy tone. The split sounds on the Paul’s guitar are very good, the ZM doesn’t have coil splits, but the pickups are hotter (slightly) in the ZM, so there’s that, if it matters to you.

I couldn’t really say one is better than another, honestly. If the ZM is much cheaper and finances are a concern, I wouldn’t hesitate to get that instead of the Paul’s SE. Good choices to have though, a couple of the best in the SE range.

Thanks for the replies so far. I couldn’t find any comparison video between both and different videos udungs different amps wouldn’t help.

i notice my squire is much more flat and weak sounding than the SG as they are totally different guitars, strings and price points. The shop that has the Paul’s doesn’t have the Zach .

Everyone needs a guitar with a 25” scale (and since most people don’t want to play Nationals...), so I say Paul’s Guitar.

Despite a few obvious differences, where the rubber hits the road I think they’re actually quite similar. Both are very resonant, the ZM being semi hollow, and I think the Paul’s SE uses top grade dry, light, very resonant wood (totally a hunch, but if you’ve played one, you know), and both use vintage Kluson style tuners, which I think also contribute to a more airy tone. The split sounds on the Paul’s guitar are very good, the ZM doesn’t have coil splits, but the pickups are hotter (slightly) in the ZM, so there’s that, if it matters to you.

I couldn’t really say one is better than another, honestly. If the ZM is much cheaper and finances are a concern, I wouldn’t hesitate to get that instead of the Paul’s SE. Good choices to have though, a couple of the best in the SE range.
What are the other best ones in the SE range?

What are the other best ones in the SE range?

I'm partial to the SE 245...but that's just me. I really love the neck profile, the pickups and the shorter scale. Again, it's so subjective.

Any model in the SE range is gonna be a great guitar. It really all comes down to which one feels, plays, sounds and looks best to you.

P.S. If you can get your hands on a Chris Robertson Sig. They are friggin KILLER!

I'm partial to the SE 245...but that's just me. I really love the neck profile, the pickups and the shorter scale. Again, it's so subjective.

Any model in the SE range is gonna be a great guitar. It really all comes down to which one feels, plays, sounds and looks best to you.

P.S. If you can get your hands on a Chris Robertson Sig. They are friggin KILLER!

Me too!

It *is* a completely personal thing.

-Do you want a single-cut or double cut?
-Do you want a Wide/Fat or Wide/Thin neck carve?
-Do you want a 24.5” scale or 25” scale?
-Do you want a maple top or solid mahogany body?
-What pickup type/model do you want?
-Do you want a fixed bridge or trem?

In order to get all the permutations you like, you may have to shop for a discontinued model. But you really won’t know what you prefer until you try a few to help narrow down your likes from your dis-likes.

What would the guy who built these guitars, who knows them inside out, what would he choose? :p

Back