Thoughts on my purchase of an SE Standard 24

Glenn Rodgers

PRS guitars were always that kind of aspirational guitar for me.
I kind of put them in a different league. The one brand I was not afraid to buy because the quality was always going to be high.
Man this doesn't make me happy at all. The Indonesian made SE standard 24 I just bought just makes me unhappy. Problem number one, a very bad back bow set in within a week after purchase. No problem it happens. I took it to my guitar tech and he sorted it. Second problem - The pick-up selector now only plays in the neck position if I apply downward pressure on it. As soon as i stop pressing on it the neck pickup goes dead. Maybe its as simple as contact cleaner, maybe not. I opened it up to see if a wire was shorting - it wasnt, but the pickup selector i found underneath looked cheap and in truth, i have Chibsons with better pickup up selectors. The SE standard 24 doesnt come with a case or even a gig bag anymore - i paid extra. In comparison to my Korean made SE Tremonti the indonesian standard 24 is clearly a step down. I'm so freakn bummed by all of this. It's great for a Cort and all...but i didn't want a cort.
This guitar doesnt feel special to me like a PRS should. I just want a refund now. So disappointed.
The PRS aura has pretty much gone for me and this doesnt make me happy at all. They are in the same league as Gibson and Fender for me now, which isnt bad, its just yeah...okay.

In comparison to my Korean made SE Tremonti the indonesian standard 24 is clearly a step down.

In fairness, a Korean made Tremonti would be a 'step-up' from a Korean made Standard too.

The PRS aura has pretty much gone for me and this doesnt make me happy at all. They are in the same league as Gibson and Fender for me now, which isnt bad, its just yeah...okay.

To be fair, the SE models are NOT made by PRS but made 'for' PRS and the SE Standard is the 'cheapest' option available putting it on a par with a made in China Epiphone - at least in terms of price. I still think its one of, if not the best guitar of its type under $500. Therefore, I am surprised that you have had these issues. Its worth looking to see when it was checked by PRS too as it could well of being hanging around in store, played by anyone coming in to try it. As for the bow in the neck, the weather could well have played a big part in that - if it was set up when cold, and with the weather (at least where I am) being very hot, that could cause some issues.

As others have said, the store should sort you out but I wouldn't judge PRS (or ALL Indonesian made) SE's with just 1 'mediocre' example. It seems that the move to Indonesia will be beneficial in the long run as Korean prices are climbing and PRS have their own 'factory' within Cort that only make PRS guitars. That will help them have more control of Quality, build process etc. With the way things are in the world right now, its conceivable that the odd 'mediocre' one slips through as they try and get back to normal.

Anyway, hope things get resolved for you. Maybe try a Custom 24 if things like a gig-bag is important...

I'm shocked they didn't give you a gig bag. My understanding was that they all ship with a gig bag. I'd email PRS about that. It sounds to me like you bought it at GC. My younger son used to work there. They're not allowed to adjust new or used guitars when they come in. Cuts down on the profit, but it means you may get something that's not right. I only hope that the dealer sorts this out.

Thanks for all your replies and advice. Yes as Dogrocketp said, I thought all PRS guitars came with a gig bag too and I was ready to demand one but then I saw some unboxing videos on youtube where The SE models didnt have one so Im going to give the retailer the benefit of the doubt. They did a hard case really cheap so im not too put out. Unfortunately that model isnt $500 here its more like $1000. Im a New Zealander. Often Asian made guitars are a really good price here but not PRS - it was $999.
Yup, the toggle switch was faulty. The retailer i bought it from (Rockshop New Zealand) is paying my tech to replace it - and yes it was a cheap Asian made toggle. I'm getting my tech to put in the most expensive one hes got courtesy of the retailer. Look its a nice guitar. Ive come to realise that cheap guitars made by reputable factories are often built and crafted to amazing levels, especially indonesian. It's the finishing touches and hardware that is usually terrible. In my case im lucky, everything looks pretty high spec apart from the toggle. Everything else is really nice. I think you guys just caught my frustration at getting something sub par. Im still a prs fan - My Tremonti freakn rules. Once i get my Standard 24 dialled in and those bad electronics replaced ill have it singing like a core model. :)

Thanks for all your replies and advice. Yes as Dogrocketp said, I thought all PRS guitars came with a gig bag too and I was ready to demand one but then I saw some unboxing videos on youtube where The SE models didnt have one so Im going to give the retailer the benefit of the doubt. They did a hard case really cheap so im not too put out. Unfortunately that model isnt $500 here its more like $1000. Im a New Zealander. Often Asian made guitars are a really good price here but not PRS - it was $999.
Yup, the toggle switch was faulty. The retailer i bought it from (Rockshop New Zealand) is paying my tech to replace it - and yes it was a cheap Asian made toggle. I'm getting my tech to put in the most expensive one hes got courtesy of the retailer. Look its a nice guitar. Ive come to realise that cheap guitars made by reputable factories are often built and crafted to amazing levels, especially indonesian. It's the finishing touches and hardware that is usually terrible. In my case im lucky, everything looks pretty high spec apart from the toggle. Everything else is really nice. I think you guys just caught my frustration at getting something sub par. Im still a prs fan - My Tremonti freakn rules. Once i get my Standard 24 dialled in and those bad electronics replaced ill have it singing like a core model. :)
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

$999?!?! Damn, you need to hook up with @justmund and buy his leftovers.

Yeah I know but it all works out. I won my Tremonti in an olline auction a few years ago for something silly like $250 NZD (which was kind of like stealing it) so the higher price tag on this one doesnt make me too upset. Happy ending, I just got it back from the tech. He put in an American switch intended for the Core Standard 24. Its funny how big a difference it made. Its rock solid and the signal is perfect now, It even feels far more solid and substantial. If PRS reads any of this then for the love of god please don't skimp on something as simple as a toggle switch. For the sake of saving $20 (probably less) you made something that was amazing in every other respect into a dud. With the switch up graded it now feels amazing and dependable like a PRS should. Don't skimp on the small but vital stuff. You're better than that. (By the way - my new avatar picture is the guitar)

Glad you got it sorted. I have had no problems with my SE Standard 24 Schizoid, although I'll admit it doesn't get much play time compared to my core guitars, and I really bought it more as a collectible/memorabilia. It did come with the PRS gigbag.
I just looked on the PRS website product pages, and it looks like any model that includes a gigbag or case says so under "included accessories" in the product specs. Most of the SE's no longer include the gigbag :( (I know this keeps the price down, but waaaaah anyway).

The problem with 3rd party manufacture is that you can’t be there all the time to make sure that parts like this don’t slip through. I came to the conclusion not to sweat the small stuff, as long as the neck is mounted properly, the frets are installed properly, the trem is set in correctly, and the finish is good. Everything else is easily fixable.

The problem with 3rd party manufacture is that you can’t be there all the time to make sure that parts like this don’t slip through. I came to the conclusion not to sweat the small stuff, as long as the neck is mounted properly, the frets are installed properly, the trem is set in correctly, and the finish is good. Everything else is easily fixable.

Agree. For me also the neck is the most important part. The neck directly affects how you communicate with the guitar. The frets, the action, the radius - its all there. That being said its the other things that contribute to the overall experience. You kind of want everything to work out of the box. However now that ive had the weakest link upgraded im totally happy. The small stuff does kind of matter....I look at it this way (and apologies if my New Zealand humour doesn't translate or offends) - Having sex with a supermodel just feels better if she isnt missing any teeth - I mean sure, the sex will feel the same but each time she smiles and you see all those gaps then you start to think "Damn - I should have swiped left on that one." After a while it's all you see. - Possibly a really offensive analogy but screw it - I'm in New Zealand, officially the most free country on the planet - SJWs be gone! - I can say what i want :)

Agree. For me also the neck is the most important part. The neck directly affects how you communicate with the guitar. The frets, the action, the radius - its all there. That being said its the other things that contribute to the overall experience. You kind of want everything to work out of the box. However now that ive had the weakest link upgraded im totally happy. The small stuff does kind of matter....I look at it this way (and apologies if my New Zealand humour doesn't translate or offends) - Having sex with a supermodel just feels better if she isnt missing any teeth - I mean sure, the sex will feel the same but each time she smiles and you see all those gaps then you start to think "Damn - I should have swiped left on that one." After a while it's all you see. - Possibly a really offensive analogy but screw it - I'm in New Zealand, officially the most free country on the planet - SJWs be gone! - I can say what i want :)
There's absolutely no excuse for getting a sub standard product from PRS, or any other manufacturer for that matter. The company should stand behind their work, whether they do it themselves or farm it out to a second tier manufacturer.

It has to be set right, or you should get your money back, period. That's what great companies do. Make it right.

There's absolutely no excuse for getting a sub standard product from PRS, or any other manufacturer for that matter. The company should stand behind their work, whether they do it themselves or farm it out to a second tier manufacturer.

It has to be set right, or you should get your money back, period. That's what great companies do. Make it right.

Yep, in the end the switch was replaced. It's funny though, I dont think ill ever buy from that retailer again. When I brought up the possibilty of either getting a replacement or possibly my money back on a faulty good he was like "Nah thats not how it works - you have to give us a chance to repair it" - I'm also pretty familiar with the NZ consumer gaurantees act and I know that his way isnt how it works either. But hey, in the end it got fixed. The NZ Rockshop is the closest thing in NZ youll find to a guitar center. Usually really good but somethimes a bit dodgy. It's the only instrument retailer ive ever been to where they actually brand shamed me on more than one occasion. (for buying one of their Epiphones to knock around with. Buying someones guitar have having them shame you for actually buying it from them was a shitty experience) Overall a good retailer but tend to be music and gear snobs.

Back