Thoughts about how to raise my cab/head.

claythomas

Nothing but the best!
It seems I can't scale down without losing something.....just sold my Mesa 4x12's. Bought a PRS MT 12 cab for my MT-15 head. Now I'm realizing after a rehearsal that I need to raise the cab. I just can't hear it as well in the floor. I've looked at combo amp stands but they all seem to only tilt back. And that may let the head fall off. I've thought about turning the cab on it's side but my OCD would kick in seeing the logo sideways...Touring roadcases are out of my budget right now, unless someone has a used one for really cheap. What do you guys think?

Someone here solved the issue by building a rack that allows the amp to remain "flat" while on top of the tilted back cabinet. It was made of wood, and had to brackets that went on the front of the cabinet. The "shelf" that the amp sat on was at an angle that allowed for it to remain parallel with the floor. Not sure if my description is doing it justice. It was nicely built and didn't look cheesy.

As @bodia mentions, someone here posted the Atlas amp stand. It looks like this:
LowRider-w-TableTop_Walnut_05.jpg

I also saw one where the speaker was mounted into the table itself… not sure how well it works, but it’s a cool idea:
b73db6421fc2fada450de25c3a47a300.jpg

Perhaps something along those lines will get you going!

It's great to get the cab off the floor, especially for recording. Something of a solution for the 'half space reinforcement' acoustical issue with bass frequencies, and of course, lets you hear what you're doing.

This is a good thread, guys!

I use the IsoAcoustics subwoofer stands, and the head can sit on the cab. Isolates the cab from the floor very well, and you get fewer vibrations in the structure of the building. This works for me, but if you want to set the cab at an angle with it, you won't be able to put the head on the cab. YMMV.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I play mostly small bar gigs and sometimes a larger venue. Looking for something portable. Gonna check out that wooden bracket deal. It looks cool.

7227805402_f78f611860_b.jpg

That's how we did it back in the day.

Seriously thought, that's what drove me to adopt a vertical 212 cabinet. Of course, once you've spent the money on your cabinet (which is an excellent one BTW) that's of little help to you. In the past I've built risers using metal furniture legs like you would put on an ottoman and a piece of shelving lumber (not particleboard).

7227805402_f78f611860_b.jpg

That's how we did it back in the day.

Seriously thought, that's what drove me to adopt a vertical 212 cabinet. Of course, once you've spent the money on your cabinet (which is an excellent one BTW) that's of little help to you. In the past I've built risers using metal furniture legs like you would put on an ottoman and a piece of shelving lumber (not particleboard).
Y'know, the nice thing about a chair is that they're often padded, and the padding helps reduce resonance-inducing vibration from the cab. Plus the back of the chair can keep the amp from falling over.

It's also about the right height from the floor (usually around 19") to reduce half-space bass reinforcement, one of those acoustical issues often encountered.

A vertical cabinet is great, too, the only problem being that it can't address that bass reinforcement issue because it's so close to the floor. Still, I like vertical cabs quite a lot.

I have a vertical cab, so it's a little different, but I do the same thing under my 1x12 combo (which isn't pictured) -- a milk crate.

I find that it raises them enough to hear a bit better, it's solid, and I can reach the controls easier.

CjFH59y.jpg

Back