This Ones A Bit...Shall We Say...Different

László

Too Many Notes
Every so often I get into writing electronic music instead of orchestral or rock.

"Every so often would be like what, every day?"

"Maybe every other day."

Anyway, I was listening to some old Winston Churchill speeches that were archived in the 1930s and 1940s, having been recorded by the BBC for radio broadcast (in those days, speeches were often recorded and broadcast later using wax or tin masters, and please note the use of past pluperfect in that sentence!). I wasn't thinking about music; understanding the history of the interwar years between WWI and WWII is worth every moment of time spent on it.

One speech in particular from 1934 struck me.

The speech was one of Churchill's earliest warnings to Parliament about Nazism. In addition to the historical context, I was once again awed by Churchill's delivery, rhythm and pacing, and then thought...this is almost musical!

Naturally, I decided to mess with it electronically, and write an electronic music score for it. Because that's what anyone would do, right?

I dunno how sane this effort was.

"Not very."

"OK, but in any case I kinda-sorta like what I did. It's different."

Here's a link:

https://persistenceofmemory.band/single/36691/where-is-ours

PS, there's a lot of low end in this that won't show up on computer speakers. Might want to listen on headphones or hi fi speakers.

Last edited:
Speeches and electronic music is my jam. I dig it. I have samplers, and certain effects, in my modular rig just for this purpose. I like it, Les. I am glad to hear what you are making these days.

Speeches and electronic music is my jam. I dig it. I have samplers, and certain effects, in my modular rig just for this purpose. I like it, Les. I am glad to hear what you are making these days.

Thanks! Post yours?

Reactions: jxe
Great job Les. I have done similar stuff (lots of voice bits from specific individual that a song is built around), but too political to post here without violating the forum rules IMO!!! Check this one out though by "The Disposable Heroes of Hip Hoprisy"
I immediately thought of these opening bits for this song when I was listening to yours (especially the "My advice to you is, seek professional help", he he). If you have never heard this song "Television, the Drug of the Nation", you should. I think everyone should be forced to listen to this song at least once in their life and understand what is being said!! Think FZ "I'm The Slime" as far as theme is concerned, which everyone should also have to listen to. The slime made me a FZ fan when I was VERY young and altered my view on TV for the rest of my life!!!

Keep 'em comin'!!! Love it as usual!!

Nice work Les. It sounds like a lead in to something bigger, like a Pink Floyd song. Right after that last 'where is ours?' It could ramp up into that later 80's Floydian vibe that Gilmour spearheaded.

Just what I'm hearing in my head.

Great job Les. I have done similar stuff (lots of voice bits from specific individual that a song is built around), but too political to post here without violating the forum rules IMO!!! Check this one out though by "The Disposable Heroes of Hip Hoprisy"
I immediately thought of these opening bits for this song when I was listening to yours (especially the "My advice to you is, seek professional help", he he). If you have never heard this song "Television, the Drug of the Nation", you should. I think everyone should be forced to listen to this song at least once in their life and understand what is being said!! Think FZ "I'm The Slime" as far as theme is concerned, which everyone should also have to listen to. The slime made me a FZ fan when I was VERY young and altered my view on TV for the rest of my life!!!

Keep 'em comin'!!! Love it as usual!!

i was listening to some early 80s pop records the other month and at least two of them (rough trade and why does anyone put up with joe jackson) complained that there were ‘so many channels’ — like specifically thirteen.

a counterpoint:

Great work Les.

Useless fact:

Churchill was a Liberal politician in Dundee in the early part of the 20th century, prior to returning to the Conservative Party before WW II.

I've been inspired to try this type of thing in the past. Never did successfully integrate a voice recording into a piece of music as well as what you've done here Les! Awesome job!

My experiment was a recording of a CEO of the company I worked for, who in a public interview stated he was aiming to position our company at "number two in the industry". Now admittedly, that was probably a sane target, since it was dominated by one particular, very large, competitor. But dang, at least spin it as "the number one small business" or something.

The Porcupine Tree album Voyage 34 is/was a great inspiration for me in this area. This track by Les is in that same general ballpark, in the way the music and speech interplay. Very inspiring, Les!

Back