This Just In: Rock Not Dead!

Proud Gramps Award to you Les.

Congratulations to your Granddaughter.

My two offspring tread the boards, not on her level, but I can understand the feelings.

My son and daughter are rehearsing for a review show and both have solos. Carys has a beautiful voice, but Scott has surprised me at what a great voice he has, with very little training. He must take after his Mum.

If Rock is dead, how does one explain this??

My granddaughter (second from right, front row) is playing the role of Summer in School of Rock for a 7 week run starting April 12, at the Paramount in Aurora (IL). These kids don't look like they think Rock is dead!

Looks alive to me. And the kids will be playing their own instruments. The cast is VERY excited to be in this show!

Be there, or be square. ;)

mKwoSds.jpg

lQEptUf.jpg
That is just so out of this world awesome!
You must be one helluva proud grandad!

Rock sure ain't dead, just a little more refined than days of old!

Proud Gramps Award to you Les.

Congratulations to your Granddaughter.

My two offspring tread the boards, not on her level, but I can understand the feelings.

My son and daughter are rehearsing for a review show and both have solos. Carys has a beautiful voice, but Scott has surprised me at what a great voice he has, with very little training. He must take after his Mum.
Or you, because you sing extremely well. Awesome stuff about your kids!

Last edited:
The Paramount is an excellent 1920's stage theater. I'm very excited for your family and just may have swing down there and see this performance!
She'll have a TON of performances (60 I think), because she's cast as a lead, but there are few days when the leads will be the first and second understudies (which is only fair, those actors work as hard as the others!), so if you go let me know and I'll check dates to make sure she'll be doing the role! In fact, it'd be fun to meet up if you go!

You know it doesn’t matter whatever your child, grandchild wants to excel at just be supportive. Do everything you can to help them. It will pay off in huge dividends to the parties involved in the end.

When my son is gearing up for competition, there is nothing I won’t do for him. I will support him anyway I can.

You know, I really admire this child, and not just because she's my granddaughter. She's a special person (as is her brother, by the way!).

She goes to school like any other kid, she's rehearsing every day after school. And she'll do a ton of performances, but she has the same school responsibilities as any other kid her age. Plus they insist she does her homework.

Of course, there has to be time for relaxation with her family, and play time - because she's only 11!

One great thing is that the Chicago regional theater community is pretty tight, and the kids in it know each other and remain friends between shows; they go see each other's shows, they support one another emotionally. Kind of like the best musicians do.

There aren't the usual age boundaries, because of the shared experiences. Some of her friends from other shows are in their mid-teens, and they treat her like one of them, and she's also that way with the younger ones and her contemporaries.

I've been to enough shows to see it for myself after the show, how nice they are to one another, and how they turn out for each other!

It's beautiful to see these kids develop these friendships. What they do is hard, though they LOVE it, and that's so clear every time I watch them interact.

You know it doesn’t matter whatever your child, grandchild wants to excel at just be supportive. Do everything you can to help them. It will pay off in huge dividends to the parties involved in the end.

When my son is gearing up for competition, there is nothing I won’t do for him. I will support him anyway I can.
This is the best.

I do the same thing.

As you may already know, my son is also in the music business, has several gold records as a producer and engineer, was signed as an artist to Warner Brothers Records, and he and his bandmate have recently been producing/scoring podcast shows for artists like Rami Malek and Dave Chappelle. They've won several awards, including NY Times Ten Best, I Heart Radio, etc. It's pretty cool.

This is their production company:

And they rock. this one's from a few years ago. Jamie is the singer, plays guitar as well. Fender endorser. Check out the drummer - she's got a degree in classical percussion, but does she ever play hard!! Noah, the lead guitarist was in Portugal The Man.

Last edited:
Thank you! That was incredibly awesome. I love his style, his voice, his guitar playing. He has panache in spades. It blew me away.

An now, I have another new band to watch!
They're so busy with the production of the audio stuff they haven't done much new music since COVID. :(

Jamie's going to do a few dates this summer with his friends in The Academy Is, playing in London, Chicago and LA, and occasionally he appears with 30 Seconds to Mars, Jared Leto's band, but since Salt got going, I've wished he did more music stuff. But that's just me. Touring is hard, and he kinda likes having a life. Can't say I blame him, but I'm so into the music.

Back